Author Topic: location of Givi MonoKEY top case with PHILS FARKELS rack  (Read 35224 times)

Offline nlastovi

location of Givi MonoKEY top case with PHILS FARKELS rack
« on: September 26, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
I'm considering a phil's rack to mount a monokey trunk on a '14 C14.  My concern is that with the trunk location fore-aft location fixed, will the back rest end up being in a good location for a passenger?  Has anyone mounted a monokey trunck (which one?) on a phil's rack and then had a pleased passenger provide feedback?

thanks!

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: location of Givi MonoKEY top case with PHILS FARKELS rack
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »
I'm considering a phil's rack to mount a monokey trunk on a '14 C14.  My concern is that with the trunk location fore-aft location fixed, will the back rest end up being in a good location for a passenger?  Has anyone mounted a monokey trunck (which one?) on a phil's rack and then had a pleased passenger provide feedback?

thanks!

I have Phil's rack on my 2010 C14, and had the same rack on my 08 C14 before that. I use the Givi E55 Maxia Monokey topcase with Givi backrest pad installed, and my wife loves it. We've ridden coast to coast and a couple thousand miles north/south as well, and she wouldn't go without it. Not sure if it matters or not, but she is quite small...5'4" @ 110 lbs.

HTH,
Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
I put a Givi 55 on my C-14 and found it pushed my wife forward quite a bit. Ended up making a custom mounting plate to move the box back 2 inches as well as provide an additional pair of mounting points for strength.

This is the prototype with Kirby getting the first ride, of course.

Just a thought but the Givi 55 is a pretty big top box, I have the aux. rack mounted on mine, it is pushed farther rearward on the bike and it is really easy to load it far beyond the bike's stated 22 lb. limit. I often overload it and travel at highway speeds (and a bit beyond) but anyone doing this should be aware that it probably won't cause any good changes in handling or stability and may well cause negative ones.

Brian

thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
I put a Givi 55 on my C-14 and found it pushed my wife forward quite a bit. Ended up making a custom mounting plate to move the box back 2 inches as well as provide an additional pair of mounting points for strength.

This is the prototype with Kirby getting the first ride, of course.

Just a thought but the Givi 55 is a pretty big top box, I have the aux. rack mounted on mine, it is pushed farther rearward on the bike and it is really easy to load it far beyond the bike's stated 22 lb. limit. I often overload it and travel at highway speeds (and a bit beyond) but anyone doing this should be aware that it probably won't cause any good changes in handling or stability and may well cause negative ones.

Brian

I heard that if you squeeze the front brake lever then bounce the forks twice it cures the handling problems.  ::)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
I've got a C10 so I can't help much. Just wanted to chime in with a welcome to the forum. :banana :banana :banana
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 04:31:14 AM »
I heard that if you squeeze the front brake lever then bounce the forks twice it cures the handling problems.  ::)

lol...did you try this yourself? :o

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »

thanks!

Which backrest do you have?

Offline nlastovi

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »

Which backrest do you have?

As yet I have no trunk nor backrest.  before I invested I wanted to make certain that others had installed a givi trunk on phil's rack with a happy passenger and so I was hoping for insight as to which trunk worked best.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
As yet I have no trunk nor backrest.  before I invested I wanted to make certain that others had installed a givi trunk on phil's rack with a happy passenger and so I was hoping for insight as to which trunk worked best.

I have the Kawi 47 trunk on Phils rack, works great with the Corbin backrest.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »

I have the Kawi 47 trunk on Phils rack, works great with the Corbin backrest.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Did you go back to green?
http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/jaywilcox/media/724146_zps07e2d036.jpg.html
Or are you still in the black.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
Did you go back to green?
http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/jaywilcox/media/724146_zps07e2d036.jpg.html
Or are you still in the black.

Today I'm still wearing the black, but that might be changing in October...  ;) ;D

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
The original question specifies the MonoKEY trunks. The Kawa. trunk is a MonoLOCK variety as are nearly all other brands.

Can those who have a monoKEY trunk, E55, V46 etc. give him some feedback on how comfortable your passenger finds the trunk position??
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
I have a Givi Monokey 460L. It is adjustable on the PhilsFarkels rack thru (IIRC) 3 positions. On my trip to Newfoundland (with my 16yo son as pax), I put a Motofizz bag on the rack and my pax still had lots of room.

Here is a pic (from a different trip) from when the Givi was in the most forward position

Here is a pic with a 5'6' pax and a 460L in the forward position.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 10:25:45 PM »

Now that looks like a well used Stich DM!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 03:28:08 AM »
I have Phil's rack on my 08, with a Monokey V46. All is good, GF very happy with the provided support.
Just for reference, she has experience traveling on BMW F800GS, K1600GT/L, R1200RT, and some more, all with top case. She likes the rear of the Kawi the best, R1200RT a good second for seating/support comfort, but hated the gearbox. K1600 third because the rear seat is too high for her (she's 5 feet 9 inches tall) but the top case position is fine.
F800 means "sorry, tonight I have a migraine" :o top case or not.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline nlastovi

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 05:05:06 PM »
awesome.  thanks for the feedback everyone.  with confidence I've ordered a V47 (I like the looks a bit better than the 46).

Offline nlastovi

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
The V47 arrived and snapped right on to the rack.  From what I can tell, it is in the perfect location.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 02:58:48 AM »
The V47 arrived and snapped right on to the rack.  From what I can tell, it is in the perfect location.

no pics, didn't happen  :stirpot:
and yes, imo the V47 is the best looking topcase out there, specially in the NNT flavor.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
Phil didnt mention it but he makes custom rails that will give you fore and aft adjustments for the perfect location.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »

Ok, I'm a bit confused. (yes, I know I'm easily confused)
Phil sez the Givi/Kawasaki 47 Monolock doesn't fit his rack/holes/mounting hardware, and you said it snapped right on the rack.

If I order a Kawsaki 47 Monolock and Phils Rack,,, what mounting hardware do I need to order?, and from whom

Ride safe, Ted