Author Topic: New noise?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Cuda

New noise?
« on: September 05, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
I just had a new rear tire installed last week, now when I'm starting off I hear a clicking noise from the rear? HELP!
What should I look at.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline UhOh

Re: New noise?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 03:07:34 AM »
I wear ear plugs and really don't hear a thing from rear ...
Is sound coming thru ear plugs and is loud/solid?

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:07:10 AM »
I just had a new rear tire installed last week, now when I'm starting off I hear a clicking noise from the rear? HELP!
What should I look at.

I would check the rear brake caliper...make sure it isn't loose. Maybe they didn't tighten the bolt? Check that.
Check the brake pads, make sure they're in the correct positions and not loose, etc.
Check the axle and make sure it isn't loose...or too tight, etc.

If all that stuff checks out ok, I'd pull the rear wheel off and make sure everything is ok with the cush drive rubbers, and that the hub drive is seated properly in the wheel, although I doubt this would be a problem. They would have had to remove the large snap ring to disturb he cush drive, and there'd be no reason to so during a tire change.

One of the local shops here recently ruined a set of rear wheel bearings on a motorcycle after tightening the rear axle too much after a tire change. Between that at the common TPMS damages, and rim damage, just about anything can happen during a simple tire change.

Rem :o

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline swojo95

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:11:03 AM »
Do you also get the "clicking" when the bike is on the centerstand and you turn the wheel by hand?  If so, I suspect you need to lube the front splines on the driveshaft?  I had clicking on my bike when it only had 4500mi on the clock, I researched on the forums and found out about lubing the splines.  I used Honda Moly60 paste to lube the splines and now there is no "clicking".  If you have access to the forum across the pond, there is a pretty good write up on there:

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=77.0

I believe Fred also covers how to do it in his DVD set, if you have that. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »
Do you also get the "clicking" when the bike is on the centerstand and you turn the wheel by hand?  If so, I suspect you need to lube the front splines on the driveshaft?  I had clicking on my bike when it only had 4500mi on the clock, I researched on the forums and found out about lubing the splines.  I used Honda Moly60 paste to lube the splines and now there is no "clicking".  If you have access to the forum across the pond, there is a pretty good write up on there:

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=77.0

I believe Fred also covers how to do it in his DVD set, if you have that.

See also:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3399.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1041
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 04:33:36 PM »
Be sure you don't have a pebble stuck in your tire tread.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
You know what- normally I would chuckle at that idea. But then one day I too heard a faint 'ticking' noise that was absolutely coupled with the speed of the chassis and not the engine, transmission or anything else. It was there when coasting with the engine off too. I found it soon enough and it was a nail in the rear tire. The amazing thing was that it did not penetrate (Easy!) into the inside of the tire but rather entered at an angle and turned further yet so it was, more or less, sideways in the tread.

So yeah, check both tires for any foreign object.

Otherwise it is most likely the front trunion or U- joint on the driveshaft and a common thing on a C-14. Nothing to worry about and it will not get worse or cause any problem but if it bothers you, pull the driveshaft (Boys!) and coat the splines with moly paste. That makes the noise go away without really changing anything so it is much more effective on the owner's ears (and sometimes inner sanctum) than any tangible mechanical component(s). BTW, the noise from the trunion is just the result of the joint accelerating and decelerating and ever so slightly rocking the splines fore and aft as it rotates. And yes, I know there is a joke or two in there for sure.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »
Jeebus brian, I wasn't even gonna make any answer other than look at your tires.. seeing as the question was so freaking vague.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cuda

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 09:35:15 AM »

Ding,ding.ding we have a winner !
Well I believe that was the problem , (embarrassed) :-X
I have one of those sport inner fenders - what ever you call them , and installed a 190/55 for the first time so I guess the clearance has gotten smaller ?
I guess I don't have to sell the bike now :doh:
I believe Brian just likes to type... I wish I did ,
Hey Brian what model Airhawk do you use on the Corbin?
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
lex parsimoniae
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.