Author Topic: Just looking for some answers [tire sizes]  (Read 10047 times)

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
Just looking for some answers [tire sizes]
« on: August 10, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »
heh all:

I just changed out my rear tire to a 190/55 Pirelli Angel ST. The feedback in the forum suggests better handling with a 55, and I notice it bites into the corners better than my previous 50 tire. Does anyone know the reason for this? I think I fell asleep in physics class that day. Also- do you recommend keeping a 70 up front?

chrs-mat
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:12:14 PM by maxtog »
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: Just looking for some answers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
heh all:

I just changed out my rear tire to a 190/55 Pirelli Angel ST. The feedback in the forum suggests better handling with a 55, and I notice it bites into the corners better than my previous 50 tire. Does anyone know the reason for this? I think I fell asleep in physics class that day. Also- do you recommend keeping a 70 up front?

chrs-mat
A 55 on a 195 tire is almost 10mm taller. Most likely you  changed your old tire because it was worn out. Going from an old tire to a new tire is another 4 or 5mm.
Anytime you raise the back of the bike up higher , in your case ~ 15 mm it will turn easier. Owners do not  check  their sag adjustment after a different sized tire change. Most people think it is the new tire and that is partly correct  but mostly it is the raising of the rear of the chassis changing the ride geometry.
Also the profile is a little different. The 50 is a little flatter and has a better center contact patch when upright. The 55 is more 'V' shaped and a better contact patch when leaned over.
I have ridden on both sizes . I prefer the 50.

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:06:15 AM »
heh all:

chrs-mat

It might help your cause to modify the subject line with something a bit more descriptive on what you're looking for....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline aspire61

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
It might help your cause to modify the subject line with something a bit more descriptive on what you're looking for....

Ha ha-perhaps jim, or maybe most people don't actually know why. I was thinking it had something to do with the gyroscoping effect of the wheel and tire. The smaller the circumference, the greater the speed, the more stable the bike, equals more force required to lean.

Then again, i was out of physics class that day, so maybe it just sounds plausible to me.
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »
Speed is speed.  At the same road speed, the smaller tire would have a higher frequency, but...the same speed. 

But the rotating wheel has momentum that depends on the frequency AND the radius squared.  So the larger wheel should be more stable, all other things being equal.  Which they *actually* never are, of course.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
The reason why it turns more easily is because the 55 series tire is narrower and has a more rounded profile. The wider and "flatter" a rear tire is, the "slower" the steering is.

The 50 series tire looks cool, but it doesn't help the handling of the bike at all.

My other bike is a Yamaha FZ1, and a lot of guys on those bikes change from the stock 50 series tire to a 55 series tire for the same reasons C14 owners do; the bike steers quicker and easier.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 04:08:34 AM »
Ha ha-perhaps jim, or maybe most people don't actually know why. I was thinking it had something to do with the gyroscoping effect of the wheel and tire. The smaller the circumference, the greater the speed, the more stable the bike, equals more force required to lean.

Then again, i was out of physics class that day, so maybe it just sounds plausible to me.

I really think it would be a good idea to modify the subject line...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »
heh all:

chrs-mat

Sure, we know why.... because its a brand new tire, it better grip ....... 8) ???

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »
What he said.

I think that fact is overlooked by most of us when we get new tires. We make a change in brand, size, type, etc. and feel that going from one width to a different width make a huge difference when really it was the fact that the old, dead, worn out tires were changed for brand new ones. Spoon on some new rubber and it is like a new motorcycle.... but how much of that is due to what change (newness alone or the size / brand change)? The only way to really know would be to have two new tires, one in each size / brand, and use them both for, say, 50 miles and see how much difference there really is.

Still, I like 190/55 rubber on my C-14 better than 190/50 rubber. Tried both sizes in several Michelin and now Pirelli types and prefer the /55s in all types so far.

Brian

Sure, we know why.... because its a brand new tire, it better grip ....... 8) ???
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 04:54:27 PM »
I really think it would be a good idea to modify the subject line...

You have the power.... go for it!  (No really, it is a good idea)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
I think that fact is overlooked by most of us when we get new tires. We make a change in brand, size, type, etc. and feel that going from one width to a different width make a huge difference when really it was the fact that the old, dead, worn out tires were changed for brand new ones. Spoon on some new rubber and it is like a new motorcycle.... but how much of that is due to what change (newness alone or the size / brand change)?

Bingo!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
Bingo!
Except for me.  I took a nail (actually it was a drill bit) in a brand new 50. Sunny Steve happened to be riding  with me at the time. I went to a 55 because the 50's were out of stock and i needed a tire quick. So I compared a new 50 to a new 55. If I was tracking the bike I would stick with a 55.  I live in Florida.We need the larger center patch down here . I also  like  that tiny increase in gearing (smaller diameter tire). I also think the profile is better on the 50. It handles better than the 55.
 :thumbs: :thumbs:
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline aspire61

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
You have the power.... go for it!  (No really, it is a good idea)

Yeah- do it. I was thinking something along the line of  "Physics Teacher  Wanted!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 10:32:45 PM »
Yeah- do it.

Well, you have the power too- just edit the first post's subject- that will change the topic/thread.

I was thinking something along the line of  "Physics Teacher  Wanted!

:)  Or maybe "Tire physics teacher wanted!"

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 04:48:55 AM »
What he said.

I think that fact is overlooked by most of us when we get new tires. We make a change in brand, size, type, etc. and feel that going from one width to a different width make a huge difference when really it was the fact that the old, dead, worn out tires were changed for brand new ones. Spoon on some new rubber and it is like a new motorcycle.... but how much of that is due to what change (newness alone or the size / brand change)?

Hey Brian,
I've been saying this all along, and I don't think anybody listens, realizes, or gives a poop...lol. Keeping in mind that, while I do prefer the 50 series 190 rears, I still wholeheartedly agree with your comment above. New tires always feel awesome and make the bike feel brand new....and they should!

So I compared a new 50 to a new 55. If I was tracking the bike I would stick with a 55.  I live in Florida. We need the larger center patch down here . I also  like  that tiny increase in gearing (smaller diameter tire). I also think the profile is better on the 50. It handles better than the 55.
 :thumbs: :thumbs:

I agree with Mike here, and prefer the 190/50 rubber. I have also run 190/55 rear tires and I don't like them personally. I think this whole 55 series rear tire business on the C14 has been blown a bit out of proportion, but as with all things on the internet, I suppose that will happen....lol. Some folks will like 'em, some will not;).

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 05:00:09 AM »
We could always start on the cheaper, lighter, rounder, 180/55 series. We haven't had a discussion on that for awhile.  8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 05:01:45 AM »
By the way, still waiting to hear about that ton-up highside.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 05:10:30 AM »
Raising the rear of the bike changes the rake and trail.  Since I adjust my sag, I didn't notice a difference with the 55 except being a new tire.  Either way, this bike is very planted in the curves, but doesn't handle quick transitions very well when loaded for touring.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 06:09:07 AM »
I've got a 55 on now but I can't tell the difference..