Author Topic: Tools for fork maint.  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Buzzard63

• 2008 C14
Tools for fork maint.
« on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
Quick question. I made the mistake of looking in the Shop Manual regarding fork oil/seal change. There is a recommendation to use a large clamp like tool to release the spring pressure. Is this a must? Just asking before I get into it.
Anything with two wheels and a motor is good.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Tools for fork maint.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:32:37 AM »
Quick question. I made the mistake of looking in the Shop Manual regarding fork oil/seal change. There is a recommendation to use a large clamp like tool to release the spring pressure. Is this a must? Just asking before I get into it.

You will need a couple special tools, whether you buy them or fabricate them. I do fork oil and seal changes and install high performance valves on a regular basis...over 20 sets of forks this season, and without the proper tools and an extra set of hands, they will be very difficult to do properly. Some of the traditional (older) non-USD forks are easy, but most of the modern inverted forks will require some tools and patience.

Traxxion makes an inexpensive DIY tool kit:

http://www.traxxion.com/ForkServiceToolKit.aspx

And Motion Pro makes fantastic seal drivers:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0490/

I have these tools and an assortment of seal drivers, but you can get by without the seal driver in a pinch. I sometimes cut the old seal, and use it to drive the new seal in if I don't have a driver to fit the forks I'm doing.

A couple things are VERY important: There is an adjustment nut on top of the fork cartridge rod. It must be set in a specific place when reassembling the forks. Check the service manual...it is likely 11 or 12mm, but they do vary. If you don't have the correct measurement, then make sure you measure where they are when you disassembled the forks. I use a digital varnier caliper for this. Second thing is the rebound adjuster...make sure it is not interfering when you are screwing the fork cap back on. People damage these all the time. If you're not sure, just make sure that the rebound adjuster is screwed all the way out during reassembly.

Should be lots of how-to write-ups and videos if you search Google or Youtube.

Hope that helps.
Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline jwh20

Re: Tools for fork maint.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
You do need something to compress the springs to take the forks apart.  A fork spring compressor tool will obviously do the trick but there are plenty of ways to improvise with common things.  Do a Google search for "fork spring compressor" and you will see lots of options that can be used for a one-shot repair.  But if I did this all the time, I'd spend the money and get a compressor tool.