Author Topic: Wig Wag Taillights  (Read 10253 times)

Offline copdocpvd

Re: Wig Wag Taillights
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/State-Laws.aspx?stateid=37

list by state (see map on bottom of page) of applicable laws including whether it's legal to have a modulated brake light in your state

I was in law enforcement for over a decade, I don't know any cop who would write a ticket for a modulated brake light (unless you had it flash blue and red) on a motorcycle, regardless of the written law  (well, unless the driver was REALLY being an ass)
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
list by state (see map on bottom of page) of applicable laws including whether it's legal to have a modulated brake light in your state

I was in law enforcement for over a decade, I don't know any cop who would write a ticket for a modulated brake light (unless you had it flash blue and red) on a motorcycle, regardless of the written law  (well, unless the driver was REALLY being an ass)

Well, nobody is questioning the legality of a brake light modulator- only the one that includes the YELLOW turn signals in the brake light function.  It is a grey area (I have looked at various legal stuff before and it isn't completely clear- rear facing yellow lights are generally only allowed as turn signals on typical vehicles).  It is unlikely anyone would get pulled for it (or a ticket for it), but it is certainly possible.  I do think it will send a  non-standard and possibly confusing message to other drivers and that there are better alternatives (modulating just the brake light or adding additional red brake lights with and/or without modulation).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 07:08:07 PM »
Most Police Officers feel differently.
I would think they get tired of seeing motorcycles rear ended at stop lights/signs.
Where a standard tail light has failed in many cases.
Either way your entitled to your opinion as am I and many others.
Now if you want to talk about modulating headlights. I'm not for those at all.
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 09:15:23 PM »

One of the BEST things I put on my bike .... I love when people move over or s l o w d o w n :stirpot:
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »

Oh lordy, a hotly debated topic.  But I do agree with you.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »
why would you want the yellows to modulate when you apply the brake?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
why would you want the yellows to modulate when you apply the brake?

Their concept is that it increases visibility and conspicuousness.   Which it does, no doubt, but with added issues.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »
If the added issues are being seen better and not getting rear ended by people who don't see motorcycles I'll take em.
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 05:43:05 AM »
If the added issues are being seen better and not getting rear ended by people who don't see motorcycles I'll take em.

Both of which can be accomplished by just modulating the brake light and/or adding additional red brake lights (with or without modulation).

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »

wig-wag....hmmmm.....

I'd be afraid of wanting to wear matching pajama outfits & stopping at every dairy queen w/ the wing crowd.. :rotflmao:

those Volo lights however.....+1

'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
Stating the obvious, but: If it looks different than everything else it's going to get more attention. Confusing or not I'd rather have the attention of other drivers than not. I can't imagine somebody saying, "I saw all these confusing flashing lights, so I accelerated."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
Stating the obvious, but: If it looks different than everything else it's going to get more attention. Confusing or not I'd rather have the attention of other drivers than not. I can't imagine somebody saying, "I saw all these confusing flashing lights, so I accelerated."
Turned out to be a cop behind me.   8)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »
The cheap http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/ seems like a good option. I already have the Vololight plate frame, so I would have to put this flasher after the split for the Vololight, but that would be easy enough to do.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
Stating the obvious, but: If it looks different than everything else it's going to get more attention. Confusing or not I'd rather have the attention of other drivers than not.

You are absolutely correct, it will get more attention by being different.  But that is not necessarily a good thing.  Driving is mostly an automatic endeavor... it normally doesn't require a lot of conscious processing, which is a good thing, because it means that reactions are normally fast and efficient.  However, when something is encountered that is very different, it then kicks in conscious thought to make sense of the situation and that costs in reaction time.  It will vary greatly from person to person and for each situation, but it is still a factor.  There is also the possibility of  "novelty fixation"  in which something different becomes distractingly interesting, causing attention to drift.

I can't imagine somebody saying, "I saw all these confusing flashing lights, so I accelerated."

And yet I can easily imagine someone saying "I wasn't sure what I saw and lost some time before I realized he was braking"  or "For a split second I thought there were two vehicles so I couldn't judge the distance correctly and didn't realize how close he was" or "I was fascinated by these unusual lights ahead and didn't see that car drifting in my lane".

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »

wig-wag....hmmmm.....

I'd be afraid of wanting to wear matching pajama outfits & stopping at every dairy queen w/ the wing crowd.. :rotflmao:

those Volo lights however.....+1

I haven't seen the need for pajama outfits, but I notice a lot of people aren't sure if I'm a cop or not when it's flashing and give me plenty of extra room, and that doesn't bother me a bit