Author Topic: Woolich DIY ECU Tuning with the Log Box Pro  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Woolich DIY ECU Tuning with the Log Box Pro
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »
Hi Folks,

I don't know how many members of this forum are following or are interested in any of the Woolich DIY ECU flashing gear, so I thought I'd post up some info for anybody that might be curious. I know gPink and BDF are familiar with it.

Anyway, I've had the DIY ECU flashing kit for quite a while now, but I just got the new Log Box Pro installed in the last couple weeks, so for anybody that is considering fuel modifications, this may be of interest.

I was one of the three C14 owners that bought the DIY ECU flashing kit when it was first offered. The original kit however, was just a bench-flashing kit (Harness & Software). The ECU had to be removed from the motorcycle, and then connected to a laptop. With this particular kit, you could change fuel and ignition mapping, secondary butterfly opening times/speeds, change RPM and top speed limiters, etc. It is a cool piece of gear for those interested enough to tinker in their bike's brain. :o

So now I have the Log Box Pro kit installed, and this allows me to perform real-world AFR tuning by making changes right in my own FI ECU. The FI ECU no longer needs to be removed from the bike...everything is wired in. All I have to do is plug a USB cable into my bike now to make ECU changes. Connecting to the bike is as easy as removing the seat.
The Log Box Pro kit comes with a Zeitronix WB02 sensor and module, which of course has to be installed in the exhaust stream. The Log Box Pro now logs the AFR data directly from my exhaust and compares it to a table of preset/desired A/F ratios.

The picture below will give you an idea of what you see in the software after you ride the bike and log some data. Notice the different color cells. The red cells are leaner than your desired AFR, and the blue cells are richer than your desired AFR. There is also a tab which will indicate the percentage of difference, so you can get an overview of how close you are to your target.

On the right, you will see an autotuned map tab...this is where you can view what your existing fuel map will look like when adjusted. If you're ok with it, you can apply it to the original map, and then write it directly to the ECU.

I know this is far more in-depth than most people want to get with tuning their C14's, but it is another option for the mad-scientist types that like to tune their own machines...lol. I have been having some fun with I and feel that my C14 is working very well with the modifications I have installed.

http://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours-14/kawasaki-1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours-14-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

That's all, just a story. I'm not telling anybody that they should or should not buy it, just throwing the information out there for anybody that's curious. I'll post up some more pictures later. (The picture posted is not my own).

Cheers,
Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Woolich DIY ECU Tuning with the Log Box Pro
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »
 :popcorn:  :)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:20:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I've got my PC-V and Autotune working on my maps as I ride now.

Maybe a discussion about A/F for a given RPM & Throttle Possition would be in order, or maybe not.  :stirpot:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I've got my PC-V and Autotune working on my maps as I ride now.

Maybe a discussion about A/F for a given RPM & Throttle Possition would be in order, or maybe not.  :stirpot:

Hey Pope,
Glad to hear that you're all set-up and tuning. That's awesome.

I currently have my ECU fuel maps tuned to the default AFR settings in the Woolich LBP, but I will be playing with them and making adjustments as I go (and as time allows). So far, my C14 is working really well, and I'm quite pleased with it.

My purpose in starting this thread was to throw some information out there for discussion sakes, and so that there is some C14 end user info for anybody that may be considering fuel tuning when/if hot-rodding their C14. ;D I have received some emails asking me about some details that in hindsight seem suspicious to me, so I figured if all of the information is available in a public forum, then it's here for all to read;).

Regarding the target AFR settings, here's a quote from Woolich, and his thoughts on tuning:

"What i have found is for a modern tuned normally aspirated bike engine at full throttle, the generally accepted safe range of AFR that you should target is between 12.9-13.6. You will gain more power (to a point) the leaner(higher) the target AFR but you will also reduce engine life and potentially risk engine damage if you run the AFR too lean (i.e. AFR too high). If you run the AFR too rich (AFR too low) you are giving up horsepower and no one wants to do that.

I generally develop the Target AFR map to transition through the IAP map from a relatively lean (high) AFR at idle and low load to a Target AFR that matches the TPS Target AFR at the IAP/TPS transition point, so when the engine enters the TPS map the AFR is consistent which leads to a seamless power delivery."

What he's talking about with the transition from IAP map to TPS mapping will not apply to PC5 autotuning, but I thought it was still interesting overall.

I will post some updates and more details as I go,....I just need some more time to ride to log more AFR data.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
Regarding the target AFR settings, here's a quote from Woolich, and his thoughts on tuning:

"What i have found is for a modern tuned normally aspirated bike engine at full throttle, the generally accepted safe range of AFR that you should target is between 12.9-13.6. You will gain more power (to a point) the leaner(higher) the target AFR but you will also reduce engine life and potentially risk engine damage if you run the AFR too lean (i.e. AFR too high). If you run the AFR too rich (AFR too low) you are giving up horsepower and no one wants to do that.

I generally develop the Target AFR map to transition through the IAP map from a relatively lean (high) AFR at idle and low load to a Target AFR that matches the TPS Target AFR at the IAP/TPS transition point, so when the engine enters the TPS map the AFR is consistent which leads to a seamless power delivery."

Yes I read that on their site too. But I also feel that someone in their legal department helped them out with that statement as well.  ;D

I'm still playing with the A/F numbers in the Autotune myself. I also placed some marks on my grip (throttle) to use as a referance for my throttle opening percentages, which helps!  ;)

Anyway, from one mad-scientist type to another, I'm enjoying all of the tinkering!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.