Author Topic: Anybody try the new Sena 20S kit yet?  (Read 30937 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Anybody try the new Sena 20S kit yet?
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
All I can say is "SENA"! They connect to the computer and have worked rock solid! I have the SMH10 and will get the 20S (or whatever is newest) when the time comes to replace...or just get it to upgrade the comms! I'm super happy with my comms!

I also have a Sena and have been extremely pleased.  A word of warning- I read a lot of complaints about the new 20S with them breaking, which is why I specifically went with the SMH10.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:27:01 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »
Don't want to further the thread into something unrelated, but I also have a Sena and have been extremely pleased.  A word of warning- there were a lot of complaints about the new 20S with them breaking, which is why I specifically went with the SMH10.

Good to know! I love my SMH10! Hope they resolve the 20S issue! I just added a second cigarette power port to the left side of my dash (opposite the one that comes with the bike) just so I can plug in my SENA car charger when on long rides...works great and keeps the comms working all day long!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
Can a person using a long charging cord charge and talk on a Sena at the same time?

Scala's won't.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2015, 10:18:03 PM »
Can a person using a long charging cord charge and talk on a Sena at the same time?

Scala's won't.

Yes.  You can charge and actively use the unit at the same time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
Just bought a Sena 10 yesterday. I'm jazzed!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2015, 03:58:46 AM »
I also have a Sena and have been extremely pleased.  A word of warning- I read a lot of complaints about the new 20S with them breaking, which is why I specifically went with the SMH10.

I had the SMH-10 for a couple years and loved it. Fantastic product. Bought the Sena 20S when it first came out and have been very pleased with it. I like the lower profile, the aux in port, and the integrated FM tuner...that's cool. I haven't heard anything but them breaking, but I haven't looked either.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2015, 05:32:33 AM »
I had the SMH-10 for a couple years and loved it. Fantastic product. Bought the Sena 20S when it first came out and have been very pleased with it. I like the lower profile, the aux in port, and the integrated FM tuner...that's cool. I haven't heard anything but them breaking, but I haven't looked either.

The biggest problem was with the connector that holds it to the helmet breaking, but lots of other issues too.  One indicator- on Amazon, 44% of the reviews were 1 to 3 stars.   On the SHM10 it is only 7%, which is pretty amazing (and we are talking over 500 reviews!)

I could have bought either, but I didn't care about the FM tuner or the aux port.  The thinner part, voice synth, and theoretical better multi-way intercom were attractive, but not enough to overcome my fear.  And paying less didn't hurt either.

Hopefully they have overcome some of the early production problems.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2015, 06:43:35 AM »
I had a bluant F4, POS. Had a hard time pairing with another F4 and sound quality sucked. Sena SMH10, pair's easy, much better sound quality and jog dial much easier to use.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »
I had a bluant F4, POS. Had a hard time pairing with another F4 and sound quality sucked. Sena SMH10, pair's easy, much better sound quality and jog dial much easier to use.

What is amazing is just how LOUD the Sena can be from such tiny speakers.  So much louder than anything I have used before.... which is especially useful when also using earplugs.  The jogdial is also nice, although I forget how to use all the features.

Offline shaggs147

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2015, 05:19:43 PM »
I've just bought one, decided to upgrade from the SMH10 as one of the pogo pins was broken on the 10 and I can't find the correct ones to carry out a repair. Only used the 20s a couple of times so far, and it seems to have a better bass response to the SMH10. One thing that does annoy me though is the frequency announcement on the radio. Every time my Zumo 660 cuts in to give a direction, the radio on the 20s feels the need to announce the frequency of the station I was previously listening to - bloody annoying! Does anyone know if you can turn the announcement off?

elp_jc

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »
So has the 20S been improved since it came out? I won't be able to ride for at least a month more, maybe 2. But want to buy a 10S or 20S soon. I ride solo and mostly alone, but would like to ability to connect to somebody else's communicator if needed. I also want detached helmet speakers AND mic (not the 'boom' one, since I wear a closed Shoei X12 helmet), PLUS the ability to connect in-ear speakers, in case I go that direction in the future. The softest MAX-lite foam earplugs are starting to bother my ears on long rides, so will try those in-ear speakers Nicole posted somewhere (from Amazon). Need to make sure the plug from those fit the 'aux' plug on the Sena. Finally, want to be able to use Pandora/Spotify when cell service is available. No need for FM unless there're special channels for weather, etc. (who hears FM anymore?). Based on those needs, which is the best value of the 2 SENAs? And what's the difference in battery life? Comments welcome :).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2015, 03:16:38 PM »
So has the 20S been improved since it came out? I won't be able to ride for at least a month more, maybe 2. But want to buy a 10S or 20S soon. I ride solo and mostly alone, but would like to ability to connect to somebody else's communicator if needed. I also want detached helmet speakers AND mic (not the 'boom' one, since I wear a closed Shoei X12 helmet), PLUS the ability to connect in-ear speakers, in case I go that direction in the future. The softest MAX-lite foam earplugs are starting to bother my ears on long rides, so will try those in-ear speakers Nicole posted somewhere (from Amazon). Need to make sure the plug from those fit the 'aux' plug on the Sena. Finally, want to be able to use Pandora/Spotify when cell service is available. No need for FM unless there're special channels for weather, etc. (who hears FM anymore?). Based on those needs, which is the best value of the 2 SENAs? And what's the difference in battery life? Comments welcome :).

I don't know if the 20 has been physically improved since release (to address the breaking issue), but I assume it would have been by now.

If you want both speakers and earphones, only the 20 supports that, not the 10 [out of the box].  Both will do everything else you listed and have similar battery life.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:24:42 PM by maxtog »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2015, 03:45:50 PM »
I don't know if the 20 has been physically improved since release (to address the breaking issue), but I assume it would have been by now.

If you want both speakers and earphones, only the 20 supports that, not the 10.  Both will do everything else you listed and have similar battery life.

I have a SMH10 with 2 different helmet clamps, one has hard wired speakers and microphone and the other has a boom mic with earphone jack. So it does support both speakers and earphones but not at the same time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2015, 08:22:18 PM »
I have a SMH10 with 2 different helmet clamps, one has hard wired speakers and microphone and the other has a boom mic with earphone jack. So it does support both speakers and earphones but not at the same time.

The standard kit is the one that comes only with the speakers clamp- the speakers + earphones clamp is an optional extra $ accessory.  I do remember seeing that now.  Found it:

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/helmet-clamp-kit-for-speakers-and-earbuds/

$54 extra dollars.   The 20S includes that feature at no cost. 

elp_jc

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
$54 extra dollars. The 20S includes that feature at no cost.
Thanks man. It'd be stupid to buy the old one at basically the same cost. Will get the S20 then. And wait until I actually need it, in case it gets any more improvements.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2015, 05:38:43 AM »
Thanks man. It'd be stupid to buy the old one at basically the same cost. Will get the S20 then. And wait until I actually need it, in case it gets any more improvements.

Based on Amazon, even with buying the extra clamp, the 10 still seems to be about $50 cheaper (unless I miscalculated).  But at this point, it is probably safe to go with the 20.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
Believe it or not, I got an answer back on the trade in.....they said they'll look at doing something like that in the future once their backlog of 20s is cleared out.

Nice work VirginiaJim! I too have the SMH10 and would love to upgrade to the 20S! I'm thinking about making the move to the 20S toward the end of the year...buy a pair for my wife and I. I do have the need to communicate with others that have a different comms setup so it makes sense to me (it's just convincing the wife to make the move  ::))
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE