Author Topic: Anybody try the new Sena 20S kit yet?  (Read 30939 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Anybody try the new Sena 20S kit yet?
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:36:53 AM »
Hi Folks,

I finally got the new Sena 20S dual kit last week. I had been using the Sena SMH10 dual kit for the past couple years and was very happy with it.

http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/20s/

Anyway, it's fantastic so far...I'm loving it. My only disappointment is that the kit did not come with wall chargers....but the 12vdc chargers do have USB cables that can be disconnected and used with other/existing wall chargers we had.

I love the FM tuner...that is awesome. We did an 800 mile hooligan sport-touring run yesterday, so I was able to test the range, and I was able to pick up one of the local FM stations up to about 30 miles outside of the city....which BTW is farther than my stupid VW antenna will work...lol, but much shorter than many other vehicles.

The 20S kit came with aux cables, so I was able to go from the output of my Garmin 665LM to the aux input of my headset. Yes, I know they can also communicate via Bluetooth, but why bother when a cord is available.

On a single charge of the headsets, my wife and I had them on full time for approx. 5 hours on Sunday, and then I used mine to listen to music for about 8 hours yesterday before the battery finally died. That's 13 hours continuous use. I'm pretty happy about that. That means I can usually get a full day of riding out of a single charge....and if we're just using them as communicators, likely several days.

That's all. Just wondering if anybody else got one yet. On my second dual kit in the same brand now, I'm really loving the Sena product.

Rem 8)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:56:03 AM by Rembrant »
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Anybody try the new Sena 20S kit yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:22:04 AM »
Can the Sena 20S pair with your old SMH10?

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:24:07 AM »
Can the Sena 20S pair with your old SMH10?

Yes. Actually, the Sena 20S will pair with any brand communicator (if I recall correctly).
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »
Yes. Actually, the Sena 20S will pair with any brand communicator (if I recall correctly).

True, but my understanding is that the SMH10 will only pair with 1 universal device but can pair with up to 5 other SMH10's. I assume the 20S can pair with multiple 20S's but does it see the SMH10 like another 20S? The reason I ask is that I and my son both have SMH10's and if we had other riders in our group buying Sena units, could they get 20S's and all of us pair together?

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
True, but my understanding is that the SMH10 will only pair with 1 universal device but can pair with up to 5 other SMH10's. I assume the 20S can pair with multiple 20S's but does it see the SMH10 like another 20S? The reason I ask is that I and my son both have SMH10's and if we had other riders in our group buying Sena units, could they get 20S's and all of us pair together?

That's a good question. I'm not sure. It would be my assumption that you can pair as many Sena devices together as you want. Not sure about other brand compatibility....with regards how many.

I had my 20S paired up with an SMH10 kit all day yesterday...it was just us, so I'm not sure what else it will do.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »
That's a good question. I'm not sure. It would be my assumption that you can pair as many Sena devices together as you want. Not sure about other brand compatibility....with regards how many.

I had my 20S paired up with an SMH10 kit all day yesterday...it was just us, so I'm not sure what else it will do.

Well that's a good sign. I would hope Sena would pair with any other Sena and use the same basic protocols. Would love to see someone develop a standard that all the headset brands use.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »
Quote from the Sena 20S Features page:

"One of the most technologically advanced features Sena Bluetooth offers its users is a bike-to-bike multi-way intercom system with HD quality voice allowing for up to eight companions. With a distance up to 2.0 km or 1.2 miles, the system is the most reliable and versatile intercom motorcycle system. An additional feature that makes the intercom function a standout is intercom group management which enables users to manage intercom participants by group. The intercom is also made to be “universal” allowing it to function seamless with Sena Bluetooth communication devices as well as Bluetooth communication headsets in the market."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:40:12 AM »
I like them but they are a bit on the pricy side.  If I didn't have the SMH10s, I would probably get them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »
Quote from the Sena 20S Features page:

"One of the most technologically advanced features Sena Bluetooth offers its users is a bike-to-bike multi-way intercom system with HD quality voice allowing for up to eight companions. With a distance up to 2.0 km or 1.2 miles, the system is the most reliable and versatile intercom motorcycle system. An additional feature that makes the intercom function a standout is intercom group management which enables users to manage intercom participants by group. The intercom is also made to be “universal” allowing it to function seamless with Sena Bluetooth communication devices as well as Bluetooth communication headsets in the market."

Excellent!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:52:49 AM »
It would be nice if they had a trade in program.  I've sent a note to Sena to see if they are interested...I'm thinking not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 09:08:04 AM »
I like them but they are a bit on the pricy side.  If I didn't have the SMH10s, I would probably get them.

I was more than happy with the SMH10 kit...no complaints at all, but I wanted to try the new 20S kit. I really like the FM tuner...that was one of the selling features for me. I don't communicate with other riders much, except one friend with a Sena SMH10 kit. Otherwise, it's just for the wife (passenger) and myself.

I understand the pricey part though. If I had to pay full retail I wouldn't have bought the 20S. A good friend of mine has an independent shop and he sells me stuff at 10% over dealer cost, and I in turn post up reviews on their page for them. I'm not sure what full list is, but I paid approx. $350 for the dual kit. I sold my SMH10 dual kit on Ebay late last fall for $185.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
3 friends and I all have the SMH10R. Bothersome to me is the 3-way intercom method: Myself and another connect, and then the 3rd person is able to join in ... but how does he know to? You have to manually signal to him to let him know to join in ... so we can all decide if we need to stop right here for gas, or if everybody can wait the 100 miles to the next station. There should be something like an "all call".

Looks like the 20S solves this:

Group Intercom™

New to the 20S, the Group Intercom feature will allow users to instantly create a multi-way intercom with up to seven additional participants. Utilizing the Smartphone App, users can easily create and manage their Group Intercom to allow for a quicker and simpler set up process.

Unfortunately I bought the SMH10R only about 2 months ago.

And ... I prefer the stealth matte black SMH10R to the 20S with silver bits.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
Believe it or not, I got an answer back on the trade in.....they said they'll look at doing something like that in the future once their backlog of 20s is cleared out.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »

Looks like the 20S solves this:

Group Intercom™

New to the 20S, the Group Intercom feature will allow users to instantly create a multi-way intercom with up to seven additional participants. Utilizing the Smartphone App, users can easily create and manage their Group Intercom to allow for a quicker and simpler set up process.

This is exactly what I am looking for. I want to ride with a group and have everybody hear everybody else when they talk.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 01:48:46 PM »
+1...I'll make an exception for my wife...but that's it.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
Good to hear good news about it!  I was going to order an SMH10 two months ago but thought I'd wait til I heard some feedback on this model, just too bad its so much more money.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:23 AM »
Good to hear good news about it!  I was going to order an SMH10 two months ago but thought I'd wait til I heard some feedback on this model, just too bad its so much more money.

The SMH10 is just fine...I loved mine. The big sellers of the 20S for me were the FM radio tuner, and built-in aux/audio jacks. I hadn't used my SMH10 since last fall, so I can't compare the two back to back with regards to sound quality. I am definitely getting much less "hiss" over my speakers from my wife's helmet (Arai)...not sure if that is because of the better noise cancellation on the 20S, or simply something different with the installation.

The dual kit also came with two mic booms...one hard mounted to the main unit, and another wired one to use as a second option. A handy accessory was these little 'adjustment' pads. In the case where a helmet may be a little loose in the area of the ears, you can use these little 1/4" Velcro backed pads to push the speakers out - closer to the ear. I didn't need 'em for my big head, but I made use of them in my wife's helmet...she only has a little head...lol.

Not sure what the delivery is/was like for these in the US, but I ordered these in Canada late last fall, and they've been on back order for months and months. Every time I got an estimated shipping date, I'd wait and check back, only to get a new back ordered shipping date again. They were supposed to be available Jan 1 of this year, and only arrived a little over a week ago.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
...Not sure what the delivery is/was like for these in the US, but I ordered these in Canada late last fall, and they've been on back order for months and months. Every time I got an estimated shipping date, I'd wait and check back, only to get a new back ordered shipping date again. They were supposed to be available Jan 1 of this year, and only arrived a little over a week ago.

Revzilla is showing out of stock... Another hit for them at http://wirelesshelmets.com/sena-20s-bluetooth-helmet-headset-and-intercom-new-2014/?gclid=CjgKEAjw286dBRDmwbLi8KP71GQSJAAOk4sjrPfdemACrQxLhhAmHp1Sl6wx2e79xsBwB8kfXCAfCvD_BwE, but those are still showing as "pre-order" (for early June, wouldn't you know).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
I want one!!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »
I recently (last several weeks) performed a lot of research trying to decide what to buy.  The 20S was the one I found most interesting.  I especially liked the idea of a smartphone app and the possibility of better group communications.  However, there were so many troubling reports about the units breaking or malfunctioning, coupled with bad reviews, it scared me away.  In the long run, most of the additional features I would be unlikely to ever use (extra long range, bigger groups, more voice menus, FM radio), so my dual Sena SMH10 kit just arrived last night.  Looks like a very solid and well tested design with very high ratings.... plus considerably less expensive too.

I am sure Sena will get their act together with the 20S, eventually, but I had need for something now and I was not willing to wait another maybe 6+ months or something for them to shake out all the bugs and deplete the old stock.

OK, time to figure out how the heck this thing is mounted.....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc