Author Topic: Scala - using a G9x cradle for a G4  (Read 2469 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Scala - using a G9x cradle for a G4
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »

I have a G4 that I've been using for a couple years now, last week my left speaker quit working. The G4 is now discontinued but you can use the G9 or G9x cradle for the G4 (same exact size unit and connections etc). I'm really impressed with how much better the speakers are for the G9x cradle then they were in my G4 cradle, plus I went with the G9x cradle which allows you to use alternate speakers or ear plugs with it in case I ever decide to go down that road. The boom mic is also greatly improved on the G9x vs my G4 boom mic, I have a Neotec and the new G9x boom mic stays completely inside the helmet, vs the G4 boom mic came from outside the helmet and then routed underneath (hopefully that makes sense to ya).

If any of you are still using the G4 I highly recommend getting a G9x cradle for it, between the better boom mic and better speakers it feels like a big upgrade for only the cost of a $50 cradle.

Offline mvjr1904

Re: Scala - using a G9x cradle for a G4
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
On my Schuberth C3, the visor lever requires me to mount my G9 further back, which places the mic slightly off center to my mouth.
I needed a longer mic boom and my only option was the Hybrid boom mic for my G9.
I know the G4 has a longer boom mic than the G9 boom mic.
How much longer is the cord on the G9x vice the G4 boom mic?

The G9x cradle cost $59.99, according to the Scala web site
$50 must be the ZG price.
How about a picture comparison? 
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Scala - using a G9x cradle for a G4
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
On my Schuberth C3, the visor lever requires me to mount my G9 further back, which places the mic slightly off center to my mouth.
I needed a longer mic boom and my only option was the Hybrid boom mic for my G9.
I know the G4 has a longer boom mic than the G9 boom mic.
How much longer is the cord on the G9x vice the G4 boom mic?

The G9x cradle cost $59.99, according to the Scala web site
$50 must be the ZG price.
How about a picture comparison?

On the G4 boom mic the stiffer flexible boom came directly off the cradle, which you then had to route under the side/chin of yer lid. The G9x has a normal wire (approx 3 or 4 inch's long) that you can route directly under the side of yer lid along with the speaker wires, then the boom attaches to the "inside" of the helmet between the helmet and the cheek pad, making the boom completely 100% inside the lid. The stiffer flexible boom of the G9x is about 3 or 4 inches shorter than the G4 boom because you no longer need to route from the outside down/around/in...

Does that make sense?  :-\

Kinda hard to explain, and I already removed the G4 cradle so can't take pics for ya...