Author Topic: TPMS thanks you.  (Read 4520 times)

Offline JerBear

TPMS thanks you.
« on: May 18, 2014, 05:29:38 AM »
Thank you all for your tech help on the battery install, especially Brian.  I am the type of person that is not afraid to tear into this type of stuff but blazing the trail is not my strength.  Having the technique laid out really helped and I got batteries from a batteries+ store with tabs welded onto them.  Soldered them in with a help of a few new friends from a wrench and ride session.  NO MORE Screaming Screen of Death and the accompanying Laser Red Eye for miles upon miles.   :grouphug:  All is right in the world, for now but I now know how nice it is to have a tire changer bolted to the floor of your garage.  That may be my only downfall from this whole experience.

Jerry
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: TPMS thanks you.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:36:15 AM »
Did you miss Brian's 'Change'em on the bike' thread?

Offline texrider

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:32:04 AM »
I've adapted my sensors to a non-soldered fitment, and change out the batteries at every new tire. That way there's never a surprise low battery.  :)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline no20no01

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:06:44 AM »
I've adapted my sensors to a non-soldered fitment, and change out the batteries at every new tire. That way there's never a surprise low battery.  :)

Can you share your method how you are doing your batteries?

Thanks Kevin

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:18:14 AM »
Can you share your method how you are doing your batteries?

Thanks Kevin

+1
Sounds very interesting for the rest of us too :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:26:05 AM »
+ a bazillion..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline texrider

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 05:49:07 PM »
Once apart, I saw no reason to solder, cut, or weld anything to do with it. I simply pried the tabs off the old battery, slipped the new one in between the tabs, then re-assembled the sensor. The case is meant to hold a battery tight, whether it has welded tabs or not. Works perfect-o, and the next battery will be a breeze.  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »
Brilliant!  I'll try that on my front.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »
you just have to love the simplicity of it. Thanks, texrider!

Offline clogan

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 06:05:09 AM »
Once apart, I saw no reason to solder, cut, or weld anything to do with it. I simply pried the tabs off the old battery, slipped the new one in between the tabs, then re-assembled the sensor. The case is meant to hold a battery tight, whether it has welded tabs or not. Works perfect-o, and the next battery will be a breeze.  8)

Tex, where did you get new batteries? Can they be found on the shelf at Ace, or Walgreens, or the like?
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 06:30:15 AM »
According to the archives, they're 2032s (without the solder tabs).  I think that you can get them just about anywhere that button batteries are sold.  They are ubiquitous (word of the day).

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 07:25:09 AM »
Wouldn't they be better off soldiered in?  That one bump thats borderline "bending the rim" but not quite bends it could jar a battery out?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
No.  The case would hold it in place.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 07:49:40 AM »
No.  The case would hold it in place.

Was curious, I'm about to do mine.  For such a simple soldiering task, i think I'll just drop a bead on mine anyway.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »
Well, take pictures if you can.  You do know how to use a camera, right?  I'm talking digital here, not slides or Polaroids.  Can't do much with those older formats here.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 08:34:37 AM »
+1 on the pictures, Steve  :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »
Well, take pictures if you can.  You do know how to use a camera, right?  I'm talking digital here, not slides or Polaroids.  Can't do much with those older formats here.

Yeah...   I took this one heh

I always try and get an outtake shot in the studio, this one was after we ran that little scooter up to 60 MPH in the neighborhood

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
Works for me.. ;D