Author Topic: I been forked.... and I like it!  (Read 9573 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
I been forked.... and I like it!
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
Got a tip from Lather (Thanks Bob!) about some ZX 1400 fork ass'ys available on Ebay. They are new 'take offs' meaning they were never ridden but taken off of brand new ZX 14s, almost certainly purchased for the engines in them and the rest parted out. Anyway, supposedly brand new, and they certainly do look brand new, complete forks and triple trees for $400 delivered- not bad at all.

The only defect I can see is that the hole where KiPass goes in not nearly big enough but I will not use the top triple clamp anyway:

As my bike is approaching 100K miles and I am sure could use some suspension maintenance / repair, this is a great deal I think. I will just replace the forks outright. ZX and Concours  forks are the same except for the fact that ZX forks have compression damping adjustment, they are gold anodized and they have lighter springs in them. I will probably have to put stiffer (easy boys!) springs in these forks but I am going to try them out just as they are first. The worst thing that can happen is that they will be mushy; I will of course be careful to check to see how far they are compressing without bottoming them out.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: I been forked.... and I like it!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
Hey,

Nice score Brian,

They'll be a nice upgrade. Stock C14 springs are 1.2kg/mm and the ZX14 springs are 0.9kg/mm. Easy enough to swap around though.

Be sure to let us know how they feel;).

Cheers,
Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »
Do they have the holes for the front wheel ABS sensor?
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »
I do not know- I have a C-14 without ABS so I have never paid attention to where the sensors mount.

I do have something to put in all the holes that the forks have so I suspect not (insert joke after 'holes').

Brian

Do they have the holes for the front wheel ABS sensor?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
Can you post a photo of the black casting on the lower right fork (where the wheel mounts) please.  :D
That's where the holes would be if they are there.
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 06:04:39 PM »
Can you post a photo of the black casting on the lower right fork (where the wheel mounts) please.  :D

I think Pope is hoping to see something like this... Right?  :-\

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »

The ABS sensor boss castings are usually there, just not drilled and tapped.

Look at the zx14 forks in this auction...you can see that the casting is there on the RH fork leg:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX14-ZX1400A-FRONT-SUSPENSION-FORKS-/400703100700?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AKawasaki&hash=item5d4bc4171c&vxp=mtr
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
Not sure WHY but I bought a set also  :loco: I only have 12,000 miles on mine ?
I e mailed KFG racing about different springs and what ever they do?
Also a Penske rear shock , when are you going to install yours I would like to hear how you like it stock . 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:08:53 PM »
Happy to- is that what you want?

There is a blind boss (not drilled or tapped) facing the wheel on the right / lower fork. Is that where the ABS sensor mounts?

If this is not the view / angle / side you want, just say so and I will do what is needed to get you that information.

Brian

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
Wow nice!  What year ZX14 are those from?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jsa

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »

1.  Buy ZX-14 forks off eBay

2. Drill hole on right fork for ABS sensor

3.  Replace ZX-14 .90 KG springs with 1.0 KG springs from Sonic Springs

4. Increase ZX-14 fork spacer by 10mm

5. Replace old fork oil with 85/125 suspension fluid.

6. Upgrade rear shock to complement ZX-14 fork upgrade.

7. Enjoy your plush ride and improved handling.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »

There is a blind boss (not drilled or tapped) facing the wheel on the right / lower fork. Is that where the ABS sensor mounts?

If this is not the view / angle / side you want, just say so and I will do what is needed to get you that information.

Brian

Doesn't the sensor need to mount to the outside?  ???

What's the other side of that fork look like Brian?  :-\

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 04:39:52 AM »

Brian

That's good enough Brian.

Like Rembrant stated, the boss is there in the casting, but it hasn't been drilled out to accept the sensor or the retaining screw.

So anyone with a C14 that has ABS brakes that buys these will need to have these holes added to these forks.
The Pope

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
The other side (the outside) has the outline of the sensor cast in the fork. As Pope said, it needs the sensor hole drilled and two holes drilled and tapped to take the sensor. So to use these forks on a bike with ABS, the holes would have to be made- it could be done with a hand drill being careful. The actual depth of mounting (easy boys!) of the sensor, which is the critical part, is controlled by the aluminum casting thickness so that is built in. The holes could be a little bit 'off' and everything would still work so hand drilling is viable but it would take some skill and care.

I can take and upload a photo later.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
Jay: Yes, the sensor mounts on the outside exactly the same as an ABS equipped C-14 and this is what the sensor location looks like:

Pope: Yep you are right but I figured it was easy enough to snap the photo for anyone else that was curious.  It is Photobucket that is being pesky at the moment.... :-(

Brian

That's good enough Brian.

Like Rembrant stated, the boss is there in the casting, but it hasn't been drilled out to accept the sensor or the retaining screw.

So anyone with a C14 that has ABS brakes that buys these will need to have these holes added to these forks.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »
Jay: Yes, the sensor mounts on the outside exactly the same as an ABS equipped C-14 and this is what the sensor location looks like:

Perfect! Yep, that will work.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »
You should do the Ohlins spring kit, here's a set on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ressorts-de-Fourche-Ohlins-7-0-Kawasaki-GTR-1400-ZGT40A-2008-2009-/121097679632?pt=FR_JG_Moto_Pi%C3%A8ces&hash=item1c31fbf310

Maybe also check with Dan Kyle, he might have some here in the States, he's a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable, that's who I bought my Ohlins from.  :thumbs:

http://www.kyleusa.com/

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »
I had my set shipped directly to KFG racing/GP Suspension so I have not seen them yet. They will put in their springs and valves customized for my weight. Hopefully I will have them back soon.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »
Are you guys talking about Kung Fu Grip Racing (KFG) in Auburn, WA? I had them do some work to my FZ1 forks, they do great work!