Author Topic: ZX-14 wheels?  (Read 2889 times)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
ZX-14 wheels?
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
Clearly, ZX14 front wheel == ZG14 front wheel...the part numbers are the same.  Whole front end looks the same. 

What about the rears?  Obvious difference is the shaft drive insert vs. chain drive insert.  They are inserts, so not critically different.  Out with one, in with the other.   

UNLESS...the shaft drive insert is held in the hub by a snap ring...but not the chain drive...
Is that the ONLY important difference? 

Who knows??

Inquiring minds and all that...

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: ZX-14 wheels?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:52:13 AM »

UNLESS...the shaft drive insert is held in the hub by a snap ring...but not the chain drive...
Is that the ONLY important difference? 

Who knows??

Inquiring minds and all that...

Yes, the shaft/spline drive hub in the C14 rear wheel is held in place by a snap ring.

It doesn't matter anyway...the rear wheels are completely different, snap ring or not.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
Yes, I said that already about the snap ring.  How are they "completely different?
They use the same bearings, for one example. 

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:21:46 PM »
 :popcorn:

Yes, I said that already about the snap ring.  How are they "completely different?

saxman
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

saxman

Have you looked at the two different wheels by any chance?

I can't tell if you're serious or if your trying to set me up...lol.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Me neither but if you hear a 'Here, kitty, kitty' run!

:rotflmao:

Brian

Have you looked at the two different wheels by any chance?

I can't tell if you're serious or if your trying to set me up...lol.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
Me neither but if you hear a 'Here, kitty, kitty' run!

:rotflmao:

Brian

Funny you should mention that...lol. The neighbors cat "Missy" has been missing since Sunday, and they're still outside calling for her every evening. I think the coyotes ate that cat a week ago...lol.

Ya know, Ebay can be used just like Wikipedia...lol:

Saxman, have a look at these two wheels:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2010-ZX14-ZX-14-ZX1400-NINJA-SPECIAL-EDITION-REAR-WHEEL-RIM-/190854311152?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6fcdacf0&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-1400-ZG-1400-ZG1400-WHEEL-REAR-WHEEL-ROUE-ARRIERE-/271422067743?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3204141f&vxp=mtr

You'll notice that the hub on the C14 rear wheel is significantly larger...like 2" larger on the OD. To help visualize it, look at the spokes. The ZX14 wheels have spokes like a "Y", where all that remains of the "Y" on the C14 wheel is the "V".

If you want to look even further, look at the casting of the hub where the cush drive rubbers go. The ZX14 wheel has 5 sections, and the C14 wheel has 7. Forget about the size difference, the sprocket and spline carriers are completely different in how they engage with the wheel.

Yes the bearings might be the same, and they do take the same size tires, but that's where the similarities end.

Cheers,
Rem :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
Yes the bearings might be the same, and they do take the same size tires, but that's where the similarities end.

Cheers,
Rem :)

bahhhhhhhhh
there ya go gettin all technical and stufff....
they're both round....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :goodpost:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..