Author Topic: TPMS and FOB drains batteries  (Read 4520 times)

Offline webnetxpress

TPMS and FOB drains batteries
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:35 AM »
So my 6mo old c14 started to show a low TPMS alert the other day.
Called dealer and they ordered in two new monitors to install on my next service.  Oh yeh, bike has about 6k miles for info ..

Anyway no worries on my end but the tech did tell me mother kaw in their email (I guess approving warranty replacement) said to be sure the customer isn't keeping the fob near the bike when its parked.  They said the system will continue to query the tpms if the fob is in range whether the bike is on or off.  Thus leading to early tpms battery failures.

I don't think I have since this mentioned in any of the threads before.  If so I apologize for double posting.

Just thought it might help those that may leave the fob on the bike when securely parked (maybe in your garage?).

I pointed out to the tech that their sales guys leave the fobs in the glovebox on the showroom floor so they don't lose them!!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: TPMS and FOB drains batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:53 AM »
Strange..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:47:39 AM »
The only thing the dealer passed on to me when my sensors where replaced this week, was cold storage could shorten the life span.  I bought the bike (new in the crate) from the dealer last June, and stored it in a heated garage (50 deg) all winter.  I don't know if I buy into the cold storage being the issue. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 06:07:20 AM »
Called dealer and they ordered in two new monitors to install on my next service.  Oh yeh, bike has about 6k miles for info ..

Anyway no worries on my end but the tech did tell me mother kaw in their email (I guess approving warranty replacement) said to be sure the customer isn't keeping the fob near the bike when its parked.  They said the system will continue to query the tpms if the fob is in range whether the bike is on or off.  Thus leading to early tpms battery failures.

I don't think I have since this mentioned in any of the threads before.  If so I apologize for double posting.

Just thought it might help those that may leave the fob on the bike when securely parked (maybe in your garage?).

I pointed out to the tech that their sales guys leave the fobs in the glovebox on the showroom floor so they don't lose them!!!

I'm sorry but someone is either misinformed (at best) or outright lying (at worst). The TPM and the fob do not 'talk' to each other, these are separate subsystems and there is no communication between the two, Keeping your fob near the bike will not drain any batteries at all. The bike and fob only 'talk' to each other initially when the stove knob key is pressed down. When the key is pressed the bike sends out a query to the fob and the fob answers, unlocking the ignition. After the bike starts the fob and bike still talk to each other but only occasionally.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:08:18 AM »

Well, we need another KIPASS/TPS thread like we need a hole in the head ( :) ) but this is definitely new info I have never heard before.  I don't think it is valid.   As far as I know, the TPS has a motion sensor in it and turns itself "on" only when the tires start to move enough.  The sensors do not listen, they simply broadcast.  They have no idea if there is an ECU out there or a FOB out there and could care less... when the tires stop turning for a long enough time, they shut down and go to sleep.

It is not possible the ECU will become active when the FOB is in range unless you press the key button down.

I wonder if you can ask them to give you a copy of the Email they were sent?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:24:47 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 06:46:14 AM »
Kawasaki setting themselves up to start refusing to replace TPMS sensors under warranty?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:18:01 AM »
That is simply not correct. The fob and tire pressure sensors have nothing to do with each other, as others have already pointed out in this thread. Further, it is centripetal force that turns on the pressure sensors and to generate that the tires must revolve. So with the bike sitting, there is nothing that can be done to turn the sensors on or increase the drain on the batteries in them.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
 My rear TPS is starting to act up if I go over 80 mph for an extended time- sort of a speed monitor 'big brother'. Must be too much centripetal force happening.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:00:13 AM »
I think this is a first- a TPS responding to speed in any way?

Maybe the TPS is loose or defective? Whatever the reason, an awful lot of C-14s have spent an awful lot to time an awfully lot over 80 MPH and no one has mentioned anything like this before. ??

Brian

My rear TPS is starting to act up if I go over 80 mph for an extended time- sort of a speed monitor 'big brother'. Must be too much centripetal force happening.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »

Start to be concerned when the TPS display changes from a pressure number to "Yo, slow down... I am dizzy!"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
Maybe his TPS is 'The Pissed-off Spouse'.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
I think this is a first- a TPS responding to speed in any way?

Maybe the TPS is loose or defective? Whatever the reason, an awful lot of C-14s have spent an awful lot to time an awfully lot over 80 MPH and no one has mentioned anything like this before. ??

Brian

Just the rear TPS starts the 'low battery' after about an hour of hi-speed slabbin'. When I slow down to legal speeds under 80, about 10 minutes later it's all happy again-a real wet blanket situation.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
I think that those things (the speed and TPS warnings) happening together are just a coincidence. But if the TPS low battery warning comes on after you have been riding the bike for a while, I suspect that battery really IS low.

Brian

Just the rear TPS starts the 'low battery' after about an hour of hi-speed slabbin'. When I slow down to legal speeds under 80, about 10 minutes later it's all happy again-a real wet blanket situation.

Offline webnetxpress

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 04:10:32 PM »
Like i said, I hadn't seen this posted before.
I should of said I also was skeptical.

I should also say I don't think it was the tech lying or making it up.  He mentioned it as an after thought just before hanging up 'oh yeah, they said to make sure the fob isn't left near the bike it could cause the monitors to drain...' 

And doubt this makes a difference but it is a dealer in Australia....

Anyway, I will try to get them to forward a copy of email.  Doubtful.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:33:58 PM by webnetxpress »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
 :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline clogan

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
I am skeptical, but am often wrong. I have kept my active fob in the glove box for the past year, and as yet have noticed no ill effects. But then, I change my fob battery yearly anyhow. Still running OEM TPMS batts in My 2010 model. Thus, if any batteries are being drained, it must be an exceedingly small amount.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
When the bike is just sitting, no part of the KiPass system, including the TPS monitoring system and / or sensors, are active. To start the system, the key must be pressed down: that is why that switch is there in the first place, to energize the system and begin the polling sequence (easy boys!) for a valid fob.

Now moving onto the tire pressure sensors, they are a one- way system where the sensors broadcast and the KiPass ECU receives. There is nothing going the other way nor is the equipment there to do so. The only way to activate the TPS sensors is to generate enough force, in- line with the valve stem, to turn them on which is done by spinning the wheel above a certain minimum speed.

So, when the bike is sitting and the ignition key is in any position other than 'ON', there is no power to any part of KiPass or any part of the TPS system. Only pressing down on the ignition key and the entire ignition switch powers up the bike's portion of KiPass. Receiving a valid polling signal in turn turns on any and all fobs in the area and they send their signal; if one or more is valid, the LCD dash illuminates, the ignition switch solenoid retracts and the ignition switch may then be turned.

The only way to power up the TPS sensors is to generate an acceleration force on them at which time they broadcast a signal. If there is a KiPass ECU w/in range, that ECU will receive all TPS sensor signals and display up to two if they are registered with the KiPass ECU already.

So put this altogether and the fact is that a fob can have absolutely no affect on any motorcycle nor any interaction with it until someone or something presses down on the ignition switch. Further, there is no way for a KiPass fob to have any effect on any TPS sensor under any circumstances. So for those who may say not to place the fob too close to the bike because..... whatever may happen, it just is not so. It is incorrect and mistaken.

Brian

I am skeptical, but am often wrong. I have kept my active fob in the glove box for the past year, and as yet have noticed no ill effects. But then, I change my fob battery yearly anyhow. Still running OEM TPMS batts in My 2010 model. Thus, if any batteries are being drained, it must be an exceedingly small amount.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
So you're saying I don't need to wear that foil on my head anymore?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »
Well, not while you are at work, in the coal mine. But up on the surface with the rest of us it coidint hoit.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »
You need to keep the tin hat, Jim. He's saying you don't have to wrap your fob.  :o