Author Topic: 08 question on foam fairing inserts...  (Read 14596 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 08 question on foam fairing inserts...
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »
That is a very good point. Even with my short shield it's as you say, up a couple of inches. It lessens the back pressure a bit also.

Yeah, I am amazed at how much back pressure can occur.  If I don't have the shield in the right spot, it feels like the back of my jacket is glued to my back... quite uncomfortable in the summer.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:16 AM »
Yeah, I am amazed at how much back pressure can occur.  If I don't have the shield in the right spot, it feels like the back of my jacket is glued to my back... quite uncomfortable in the summer.

The CalSci eliminated the back pressure for me. I can't imagine riding with the back pressure again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »
If you shut your eyes and relax, I'm sure it will come back to you..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
If you shut your eyes and relax, I'm sure it will come back to you..

:rotflmao:

But how will I see to ride? I could simply ride and have my wife push me from behind.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 04:07:23 AM »
That's the spirit!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
Since the ABS, TC, linked brakes, etc of Gen II's aren't really that important to me, is price of around $7K a good one for the '08? No scratches, dings and looks like it's never seen the ground.  It has the factory windshield, seat, and tail trunk on it too.  No risers, but if I decide to install, do cables wiring or hoses need to be changed?   

Thanks for any help here.  Looking for something to enjoy riding without having to do major changes to have that enjoyable ride...  Youtube videos sure make it look like a fun bike.   tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »
If you like the bike you won't be hurt buying at 7k. That is at least what a private seller would ask. Risers up two 2" will work with out new lines I think. This bike is a hoot. As I said earlier I'll keep it a long time. Good luck with the purchase.

Offline whatcom

• Bellingham, WA
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »
The foam inserts are factory, to keep the heat off your shins. You can take off the wind defectors (wings) for winter use (factory intentions as per manual), inside of them are extra screws and washers to cover the existing holes. During the winter though, I leave the deflectors on and take out the foam inserts (two screws each), it provides some very nice heat on the shins and feet.
2013 ZX14r white abs no-flies, scottoiler
2012  C14 Arabian red
Full AreaP ZX14 TB's PCV with dyno map for TB's Rostra CC, W&S remote, A&R HID, Kawasaki trunk with SW-Motech rack, 08/09 storage compartment

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
No risers, but if I decide to install, do cables wiring or hoses need to be changed?   
I have these 2" Pullback risers from AST and running stock cables.

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »
I have the foam inserts on my '08 on both sides, and they do make a difference, especially on a hot day.  I ride with taller boots, and that helps as well.  Baker makes hand wings that do a nice job either blocking the air coming over the mirrors, or funneling it in on a hot day.  If you want an '08, they are a great bike.  A lot of people complain about the heat, but with the couple things I have done, it isn't really a problem.  I have ridden it below freezing (where the heat is a blessing), and in the upper 90s.  I hope this helps.

Ride safe ...  8)
Dave

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 08:51:16 AM »
I've got an 08 non ABS I bought with 11K on it for 8K from a dealer.  It was in excellent shape and thought it was a fair deal.  It now has 18K miles on it and I expect I could sell it for about 6500 as a private owner.  If you get it for 7K and there is a tax advantage resulting from the difference on a trade on, it seems like a decent price but I'll bet you could get it for 6200-6500 from the dealer

Offline tomp

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
Got a quote of $6500 today from the dealer.  Went to ride it today but my sales friend were too busy with new bike sales.  That was OK with me, as I got to spend time talking with customers looking at BMW's and KTM 1190 Adventures.  Man, those new 1190 Adventures are super nice.   

Going there Tuesday to take a good long ride on it.  Found a couple of scratches on the right side case, but a little paint will fix that.  Since I've bought 13 bikes from them since 1986, and 10 from the same salesman, they dropped the price and are allowing an extended warranty on the bike to transfer to me until the expiration date of 10-14.  Sure hope I like it when I ride it. 

Guess my mind will make the comparison between it and the RT I currently have when doing the test ride.  Not getting rid of the RT; would have two touring bikes, silly isn't it.  They are night and day different, I do believe, so should have both, right?... tomp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 06:00:06 AM »
$6500 is a good price. You can extend the warranty another three years here...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0

Good luck

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »
$6500 is a good price. You can extend the warranty another three years here...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0

Based on his posting, it sounded like some type of dealer extended warranty, not the official factory extended warranty.  But it is certainly worth researching.  I generally *hate* extended warranties, so the fact that I think the Kawasaki one is pure gold says something.  Best deal ever.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »
OK, a really serious question here.  I rode the 08 today and loved everything about it except for the heat being thrown onto my legs.  Had denim pants and Alpine star boots on, and it was only 70 degrees.  Before I sign on the bottom line, is there anything other than a '10 forward model to stop the heat.  Is it possible to fabricate and attach plastic pieces to cover the exposed areas that are allowing the heat to come thru?  Something like what the newer Gen bikes have; very tight fitting.... 

FWIW, it does need a taller windscreen and risers for my personal comfort, but the heat is a concern, as here in the Gulf Coast of Texas, summers are long, hot and humid.   I will be deciding tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-08-09-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-/281294746413

Found these inserts.  They seem to cover much more area than the ones currently installed.  Anyone used these or any thoughts?
thanks, tomp 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:50:31 PM by tomp »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:28 PM »
OK, a really serious question here.  I rode the 08 today and loved everything about it except for the heat being thrown onto my legs.  Had denim pants and Alpine star boots on, and it was only 70 degrees.  Before I sign on the bottom line, is there anything other than a '10 forward model to stop the heat.  Is it possible to fabricate and attach plastic pieces to cover the exposed areas that are allowing the heat to come thru?  Something like what the newer Gen bikes have; very tight fitting.... 

FWIW, it does need a taller windscreen and risers for my personal comfort, but the heat is a concern, as here in the Gulf Coast of Texas, summers are long, hot and humid.   I will be deciding tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-08-09-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-/281294746413

Found these inserts.  They seem to cover much more area than the ones currently installed.  Anyone used these or any thoughts?
thanks, tomp

From what I have seen on the forums, the ones you found on Ebay will work nicely.  You can also add a midpipe exhaust shield to simulate what the 2nd gen has.  Not much you can do to change the fairing designs to match the 2nd gen, however...   so some of the heat may end up near the seat.  A SMALLER windscreen will help for the summer.

Offline tomp

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
Thanks.  I did try the "raise the windshield a couple of inches"  to lessen the heat flow, and it made a big difference.   I owned a Sprint ST 1050, with underseat exhaust, and it made the Concour's heat problem seem minor.  Like riding on top of a Webber BBQ grill, the ST was. 

Found out today that a new Set of Metzler Z8's were just installed by the dealer, too.  $350 that won't need to be spent for a while...  Also looked at a new Versys 650, as a play bike, for the same money, but the C14 just keeps calling to me.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »
Some people aren't bothered by the heat, and some are...I was.  I always wear jeans and boots with socks that extend most of the way up my shin and after riding for a while I would wind up with what I could only describe as something similar to a very mild sunburn on my lower legs (particularly the right leg).  I got the heat shields from ebay and, for me, it was night and day difference.  I also put heat reflective shielding under the tank.  YMMV, but from a heat perspective it made it a completely different bike for me.

Offline tomp

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 06:06:11 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was buying the bike while you were posting.  Not going to preach to the choir, but this is one FINE motorcycle.  Unlike the ZZR1200, this bike will cruise smoothly from 30-60mph.  Going to add the Vstream screen, 2" risers and the ebay inserts I posted earlier.  Other than that, this bike is good to go.

http://i.imgur.com/Saz270s.jpg[/img]]

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was buying the bike while you were posting.  Not going to preach to the choir, but this is one FINE motorcycle.  Unlike the ZZR1200, this bike will cruise smoothly from 30-60mph.  Going to add the Vstream screen, 2" risers and the ebay inserts I posted earlier.  Other than that, this bike is good to go.

Big fun, congrats on a fine bike.