Author Topic: In my excitement a few months ago, I forgot my TopCase....  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
So when I first found out about the Connie, I knew I wanted it fully loaded with every option, including the Top Case... Well in my excitement when I purchased it (and my HATRED for dealing with salesmen and saying 'NO!' to everything) I totally forgot that the factory Topcase was something I wanted. (I also forgot about it because I have the pelican case which is currently attached, but the factory Topcase would be nice sometimes too...)

That said, What would be the best option?  Go with the factory topcase, or a Givi? I want it keyed to the saddlebags.  Purchase probably won't happen for a while since I no longer have the huge purchase of the bike to hide it behind  :doh: :doh: :doh: but should happen eventually.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:36:01 PM by Stephen.G.Fiddes »
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
Re: In my excitement a few months ago, I forgot something important....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
How are you going to Key it to the side cases? KAWI vs GIVI

I would go with an Electric GIVI E55 NTLUXA - It has a FOB to unlock it.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
Givi E55 or Shad50, both are great cases.  And Phil's rack...

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »
Luvn' the E55  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

I would go with an Electric GIVI E55 NTLUXA - It has a FOB to unlock it.

:banghead:

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

Re: In my excitement a few months ago, I forgot my TopCase....
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
Obviously I won't be able to key a givi to the kawi key, but but if I go with Kwak's box I could have it re-keyed... (Probably $$$$$$$ tho... ZG help me out? hahaha  ;D :chugbeer: )

Will be ordering Phils rack sometime in June Just to make my Pelican Case mount More Solid. (Right now it's bolted through the case directly to the rack mouting points only using the POS Factory rack as a spacer)

The advantage to going with a Givi/ Kawi case is I could haul a bit more stuff, and have a place to lock our helmets AND gear to the bike rather than have to carry one or the other with us. (P-Case won't hold helmets, barely fit 2 jackets in it if it's empty...)  But they're dang spendy!!!!
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
Obviously I won't be able to key a givi to the kawi key, but but if I go with Kwak's box I could have it re-keyed... (Probably $$$$$$$ tho... ZG help me out? hahaha  ;D :chugbeer: )

I got some bad news for you.... that aint gonna work. The Kawi Top case is a Givi case and uses a Givi key which is a completely different form factor.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
I got some bad news for you.... that aint gonna work. The Kawi Top case is a Givi case and uses a Givi key which is a completely different form factor.

+1

A Givi that Kawi shares the profit in.... like "profit sharing"   ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
Sigh... Fail by mama kaw...

So in order to not pay two peoples profit, I should go with the givi then...
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
Sigh... Fail by mama kaw...

So in order to not pay two peoples profit, I should go with the givi then...

The Kawi trunks are made by Givi, so if buying Givi or Kawi you're getting Givi either way...

The advantage to the Kawi trunk is it's paint matched to your bike.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
Go on the GIVIusa website and compare the mono lock verses mono key trunks. One is rated to hold the weight of a pillow and the other can hold 22lbs. 
The Kawasaki one is the one that can only hold the weight of a pillow.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline petepro

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
Im so glad I cam across this post.   This solves it.
Phils rack and e55 with admore lighting.
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 07:10:07 PM »
I have a great deal on a Shad trunk!  Just sayin...  :)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »
Go on the GIVIusa website and compare the mono lock verses mono key trunks. One is rated to hold the weight of a pillow and the other can hold 22lbs. 
The Kawasaki one is the one that can only hold the weight of a pillow.

Well that raises another issue... My pelican case will hold way more than 22 lbs (once i get phils rack) esp if i strap a waterproof bag to the top

Not that i need to carry that much, but still lol. (Altho food can add up quick for camping...) (The e55 has room to easily exceed that tho!)

The main gain is definately helmet / gear storage tho...
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
You bring up a frequent concern. I would never recommend exceeding the weight limit posted on the bike. It may be because of the plastic guard rails or simply because it's not good to carry weight up high on the rear where it can swing & sway. It's easy to pack heavy stuff down lower and keep the trunk for helmets, jackets, clothing and such. A lot of people (IE: wives) think they have to carry a ton of stuff on a trip but there's a Walmart on every corner and it's not necessary to bring everything you own. I trained my wife years ago bicycling through the Alps, she once did a 23 day trip through 7 countries carrying her own 16 Lbs. of gear! She can easily do 5-6 week tours carrying everything essential on a motorcycle and still have room to buy more stuff. Hotels have laundry facilities so you don't need to bring enough clothes for more than a few days. Just carry money and not a lot of stuff. Camping gear is a different story and I don't think it's possible to carry all that stuff on a 2-up Concours.
I've heard of only one case of a broken grab rail, reportedly caused by a guy using the rack as a diving board(?). Does anyone know of more instances?
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
Well, my wife feels the need to do her makeup every morning, even if shes wearing a helmet all day. If we were to take some longer trips and camp 2-up (which would totally be doable if she can leave the makeup and air mattress at home...) I think it could easily be done for at least a few days.

Thats a good call on the higher weight out back tho...
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 05:19:12 AM »
Well, my wife feels the need to do her makeup every morning, even if shes wearing a helmet all day. If we were to take some longer trips and camp 2-up (which would totally be doable if she can leave the makeup and air mattress at home...) I think it could easily be done for at least a few days.

Thats a good call on the higher weight out back tho...

I'd you have high end lightweight backpacking gear you can camp very light.  Everything you need for camping under 10 lbs.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 12:25:07 AM »
I'd you have high end lightweight backpacking gear you can camp very light.  Everything you need for camping under 10 lbs.

Ill get there eventually. Right now I have what I have, and its some good stuff, but in total can weigh more. (Esp tent and mil issue 3 piece bivvy sleep system ive aquired). Before i do any cross country trips tho, a different tent, and some other stuff will be in order.  Thats a bit down the road tho... Im 22 and starting my own business up and that takes 90% of my attention.

But having the connie as a DD makes me re-consider my topcase situation. Ive been having to carry more and more camera gear, and im finally getting a system down for what i need to pack with me, but its starting to exceed the pelican case. (Partly due to the foam vs camera case style insert)  if I go givi topcase, I can fit more in it.  But the caveat to that is that im likely going to overload it because camera gear can get heavy! (My bag alone weighs about 10-15 lbs, and thats not even everything...)

I guess im at a bit of a catch 22... Knowing what I now know thanks to everyones help im actually kindof glad I didnt get the kawi one tho!
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 01:08:36 AM »
I think I can comment on the camera gear. I am lucky in that I live next to the Alps and am 2 hours away from truly wonderful landscapes and roads. I'm also an absolute fan of photography (the fact that I owe a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, and not for the bragging rights, should give you a hint where I'm at). However, When I travel by bike, I leave all the weaponry at home and take either just a body (D600 usually) and one good zoom (24-120 f/4) and eventually a fisheye. An alternative I've been trying lately with more success than expected is taking just a Coolpix, which offers a DX sensor, a great deal of control over exposure and does RAW format. In either case I take a table tripod, and done.
It's not just the weight or the size that makes me leave stuff at home, it's the vibrations from seating on a motorcycle. I just f+++s optical equipment. And to be honest, travel photography is more memories than photography, so you don't need superb quality, great quality will do more than fine. I can show you pictures that I took with my 2006 D80 that 99% of the people could not take with a D4. It's you and the light!
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 05:15:00 AM »
+1

A Givi that Kawi shares the profit in.... like "profit sharing"   ;D

TopCase  Kawasaki 47 litris ha la piastra piccola ,col solito bauletto della Givi 46 o Max 52/56 litri a priastra grande .

Black x Top Case Kawasaki 39/47/  Alluminium x Givi  46/52/56/ litri

MGvalerio. 8)
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!