Author Topic: Oil contamination?  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Flyteof4

Oil contamination?
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Has anyone seen this on the inside of the oil filler cap?  Is there water in the oil or is it just an indication of condensation present?  I sure hope i dont have a head gasket leak. Thoughts?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Oil contamination?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »
What's the oil look like?

Offline Flyteof4

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »
The oil looks pretty normal in the sight glass as far as i can tell.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
Don't sweat it. Clean the condensation out of the cap so you don't see it and enjoy the bike.

Offline Flyteof4

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
Haha. Ok, thanks! 

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »
At least change the oil so you can see the condition it's in !
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »
Paging Mr. C....  Mr. C to this thread...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »
fairly often during the winter, my oil will do the same thing.  i can also get cloudiness on my oil level glass.  this is caused by the more extreme heat/cool temp differences which leads to condensation.  this condensation heats up with the engine and vaporizes, hence the emulsion and cloudiness.

you may want to change your oil slightly earlier than you usually do, but ultimately this will go away when the weather warms up and is nothing to express concern over.
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »
Glad to see you back...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Flyteof4

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:45:17 PM »
At least change the oil so you can see the condition it's in !

I just got the bike for christmas and the dealership had just done a full service on the bike so i don't think i'll do an oil change just yet.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 05:06:45 AM »
Me thinks condensation. The thing to do is ride it. Light aircraft spend a lot of time just sitting. It is recommended that when you do fly them to get it to operating temp and fly for at least one hour to burn off moisture in the oil/crank case. I think the same goes for bikes that sit for the winter. It doesn't help to start it up in the garage and run it for 5 minutes. If you have a day with dry roads, take it out for a nice long ride.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 05:52:45 AM »
Has anyone seen this on the inside of the oil filler cap?  Is there water in the oil or is it just an indication of condensation present?  I sure hope i dont have a head gasket leak. Thoughts?

My bike was doing the exact same thing. Turns out I had a bad thermostat, it wasn't closing all the way and wasn't allowing the bike to warm up. I had it changed under warranty and all was well. I also had some of that emulsion foam in the crankcase vent tube (left side under the tank and fairing)

Are you ridding the bike on short trips where the engine temps never get a chance to get high enough to burn the condensation out of your oil? What does your temp gauge show once warmed up?   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 06:14:40 AM »
Me thinks condensation. The thing to do is ride it. Light aircraft spend a lot of time just sitting. It is recommended that when you do fly them to get it to operating temp and fly for at least one hour to burn off moisture in the oil/crank case. I think the same goes for bikes that sit for the winter. It doesn't help to start it up in the garage and run it for 5 minutes. If you have a day with dry roads, take it out for a nice long ride.

I agree.  I've seen this in my home standby generator also.

Offline Flyteof4

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »
My bike was doing the exact same thing. Turns out I had a bad thermostat, it wasn't closing all the way and wasn't allowing the bike to warm up. I had it changed under warranty and all was well. I also had some of that emulsion foam in the crankcase vent tube (left side under the tank and fairing)

Are you ridding the bike on short trips where the engine temps never get a chance to get high enough to burn the condensation out of your oil? What does your temp gauge show once warmed up?

I live in alberta so it's still the middle of winter here, and there will be no riding for a while yet. That being said, it was above freezing for the last week of january and i took the bike out for my very first ride on it then.  It was only for about an hour  but it was good to get at least one ride on it as it was a Christmas gift from my wife and I hadn't even done a test drive on it. Its a 2008 so i know little of the history of the bike although it looks to be in very good condition. Just thought i'd draw on the collective wisdom of the group regarding the apparent moisture in the oil.

The temp guage shows 3 or 4 bars i think, once warmed up. About 2/3 of the way up the scale. The fans will cycle on and off, holding the temp to that range.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:02 AM »
I live in alberta so it's still the middle of winter here, and there will be no riding for a while yet. That being said, it was above freezing for the last week of january and i took the bike out for my very first ride on it then.  It was only for about an hour  but it was good to get at least one ride on it as it was a Christmas gift from my wife and I hadn't even done a test drive on it. Its a 2008 so i know little of the history of the bike although it looks to be in very good condition. Just thought i'd draw on the collective wisdom of the group regarding the apparent moisture in the oil.

The temp guage shows 3 or 4 bars i think, once warmed up. About 2/3 of the way up the scale. The fans will cycle on and off, holding the temp to that range.

Before my 'stat was changed I would never see 3/4 bars riding in the cool/cold weather. The only time that I saw the bike really get warm was sitting at a stop light in the warm temps.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
If your FOB battery is fresh, liquids in the bike are optional. Oh the mad pow-ah of KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 06:50:30 AM »
Here in the humid south, that is a common thing.  On some days everything metal in my shop from the floor to 2 foot up is covered in condensation.  Fortunately, living in the country, 20 miles is a minimum ride for me so the oil gets up to operating temperature.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Flyteof4

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
If your FOB battery is fresh, liquids in the bike are optional. Oh the mad pow-ah of KiPass

I guess i should check the FOB battery. Funny how that thing affects everything!  ;)

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »
Noticed the same weird pattern in my sight glass.  :). Chose to kinda ignore it, was only happening when super cold. 7mile commute. After riding in a parade two up :o,  and  a few longer rides than my commute I found that the sight glass cleared up. Does this mean I got oil in my water?   :P   Who cares it's time to change it anywhow!  ::)
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Dodgedoc

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 05:08:35 AM »
normal condition related to short trips, after a long ride it will have steamed out of the crankcase vent
We would not be here now if we did not leave there then