Author Topic: Rode the KTM 690 Duke  (Read 2683 times)

Offline ManofManyGTs

Rode the KTM 690 Duke
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »
If anything, posting about it helps me sort out my own thoughts.  So here goes.

As I've posted about before, I am interested in getting back on the track. I may end up selling the connie for financial reasons.  Therefore, the bike I get must be a good track AND a good street bike.  The best bikes in my mind that do this are the naked sport bike class.  Among the ones I've been looking at are: Aprilia Tuono v4r, 1290 super duke, BMW s1000r, Ducati Monster 1200s.  I also have been interested in the 690 duke but its obviously in a completely different class.  I really like watching the videos of the FIM 690 Cup series in Europe. I checked one out at a local KTM dealer and they one of the techs there let me take his for a quick spin (he just bought one, had about 250 miles on it, 2013 model).

First impressions is that it is very small and light.  After getting used to my connie, it feels very small (obviously); but at the same time you sit very up right and it has a pretty high seat (almost making awkward ergos).  So you can really feel the short wheel base and smaller tires I guess.  This translates for me that the chassis has a very nervous, twitchy feeling.  There is something to be said about a planted, stable feeling that heavier bikes deliver.  One thing that did not help the matter was that the suspension felt very soft.  I thought this may be a setting issue, until I figured out that the forks are NON-ADJUSTABLE! Not sure about the rear but I think it was simply inadequate, especially for what I want.  When you were a kid, did you ever play on one of those horse rocker toys that was mounted on springs?  The riding position and soft suspension while accelerating and stopping reminded me of how it felt to rock back and forth on these old toys. I did note that they sell an R model in Europe that has upgraded forks and rear shock.  Brakes were good.

The engine was strong!  I'm sure it was more of a perception thing but it definitely had no lack of go.  It had plenty to push me back in the seat and made me hesitant to give much throttle in first gear.  At higher speeds in higher gears though, the little single did not like rolling on the throttle with out down shifting.  Doing so would result in lots of vibration and not much go.  It bogged down similar to how my old dirt bike would do.

Overall, it does feel like a small $7k motorcycle.  But its $9k retail.  I wish that we had the option for the R model here in the states.  It was a fun bike, but not as fun as I thought it would be, and definitely not worth 9,000 bucks.  It does not have good enough manners for good street duty (especially on the highway) and I would have to spend at least $2300-2500 just in suspension to make it even a possibility for the track.  Interesting and fun bike, but its definitely off my list.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:04:59 AM by ManofManyGTs »
2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Rode the KTM 690 Duke
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
Look at a Hyper Motard, much better all around bike. Speed Triples are bad ass machines, you given them any thought?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ManofManyGTs

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:39:12 PM »
Look at a Hyper Motard, much better all around bike. Speed Triples are bad ass machines, you given them any thought?

I have looked a little bit at the triumphs. I really liked my test ride of the 675 daytona.  Unfortunately, I'm infatuated with the new-fangled rider aids for some reason.  I've ridden for the last 14 years without them (Connie excluded) and on the track plenty too.  But I feel if I'm buying a new bike it needs to have some of this stuff since there are so many options with them now.  The triumphs don't offer much in this department and also they have never really struck me as looking quite right.  I am interested in the street triple R but I think it only has ABS.

I know the 690 Duke doesn't have much rider aid either but its main attraction was the price. I could probably get a 13 for 7500 out the door.
2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:42:46 PM »
1190 ADV-R.  Smoke em on a DS bike.  The looks would be priceless.  Once they are time tested I will have one as my long range ADV bike, that I will also use on the track.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
1190 ADV-R.  Smoke em on a DS bike.  The looks would be priceless.  Once they are time tested I will have one as my long range ADV bike, that I will also use on the track.

^^^ we may have to try and get a sweet deal on two from your KTM dealer.  Great excuse for a fly n ride for me  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:26:20 PM »
^^^ we may have to try and get a sweet deal on two from your KTM dealer.  Great excuse for a fly n ride for me  ;D
Word!!  I do have an inside contact smack dab in the middle of some awesome on road and off road rides.  I'd even be up for a lightly used trade in say 2 years from now.  They are already hitting the floors as they have discovered the 1190 ADV-R aint their daddies bike ;)