Author Topic: camchain tensioner removal  (Read 1776 times)

Offline jtk1531

camchain tensioner removal
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »
hello all,
while doing the valve adjustment, i lost the new camchain tensioner gasket that i bought.
i thought i could reuse back the old tensioner gasket, but it's leaking oil when i had the engine running.

is it safe to remove just the tensioner to replace the gasket, without removing everything else? i'm just wondering if there's a possibility that the cam chain might jump a teeth if it happens that some valve pushes the cam lobe off when tension on the chain is released?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: camchain tensioner removal
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »
Yes, you can remove and replace the cam chain tensioner without touching anything else, just do not turn the engine over while the CCT is out.

My memory is a little foggy here but isn't the CCt 'gasket' an O-ring? Or am I thinking of an APE manual tensioner? Or something else entirely (happens with old age)?

Brian

hello all,
while doing the valve adjustment, i lost the new camchain tensioner gasket that i bought.
i thought i could reuse back the old tensioner gasket, but it's leaking oil when i had the engine running.

is it safe to remove just the tensioner to replace the gasket, without removing everything else? i'm just wondering if there's a possibility that the cam chain might jump a teeth if it happens that some valve pushes the cam lobe off when tension on the chain is released?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jtk1531

Re: camchain tensioner removal
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:27:23 PM »
thank you!

the gasket for the original CCT uses those paper-thin gasket with the same shape as the base of the CCT. it's the APE tensioner that uses the o-ring inside the adjuster bolt (if i recall correctly from some forum threads discussing on APE tensioners...)

Yes, you can remove and replace the cam chain tensioner without touching anything else, just do not turn the engine over while the CCT is out.

My memory is a little foggy here but isn't the CCt 'gasket' an O-ring? Or am I thinking of an APE manual tensioner? Or something else entirely (happens with old age)?

Brian