Author Topic: Parts for valve adjust  (Read 8562 times)

Offline h2smokin

Parts for valve adjust
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
I would like to try a valve adjust on my bike. I have only done my klr650 once. I own all 2 strokes and this will be my first major foray into a modern bike with valves:). What parts am I gonna be needing for this? I called a dealer here in Tucson yesterday and was told just $660 for labor alone for 6 hours and $200 for parts. Will I may as well give it a shot at that price . I know I need a valve cover gasket but what else possibly? Do I need to replace the grommets for the cover bolts? Thanks for any help

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Parts for valve adjust
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »
This is what they replaced on my bike for the second valve check...

• 11061-0263 (1) cover gasket  $38.69
  • 11061-0196 (4) hole $30.76
  • 92055-0143 (7) ring $25.83
  • Coolant (3) $26.97
The first valve check I had they also replaced 92055-0086 gasket for $6.96

This was just an adjust check.  They didn't adjust anything. 

Total service on mine was $624.25.  They also replaced coolant, plugs, and did a TB sync

I really don't understand the $200 charge for parts.  My dealer charged me less than $300 for the first check but everything was in spec.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:03:12 PM »
Wow, this thread is [dangerously close] to that famous thread of yore, 'What are the most common size shims used in a valve adjustment'.  :yikes:  Scared me a little when I first glanced at it....  :rotflmao:

You really do not need to much to do a valve lash check. The valve cover seal maybe although I think you can use them over again, check the O-Rings on all the oil pipes under the valve cover, and check the spark plug well seals. The seal on the side cover you have to remove is just an O-ring and is reusable. After that, the real hold up on this job is waiting for any shims you may need unless you have a well- stocked dealer nearby and they are willing to play the old 'let's trade shims' game.

Depending on the mileage of the bike, it can be a great idea to combine as many major maintenance items as you can as you have to strip the bike pretty far to get to the valve cover. Common items are spark plugs, a Throttle Body synch. and the air cleaner while you are that deep into the bike. Coolant changing is also a good idea as the fairings are already off.

Brian

I would like to try a valve adjust on my bike. I have only done my klr650 once. I own all 2 strokes and this will be my first major foray into a modern bike with valves:). What parts am I gonna be needing for this? I called a dealer here in Tucson yesterday and was told just $660 for labor alone for 6 hours and $200 for parts. Will I may as well give it a shot at that price . I know I need a valve cover gasket but what else possibly? Do I need to replace the grommets for the cover bolts? Thanks for any help
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
I have no clue on why so much. I just priced what you listed and can get all of it except coolant for $83 . $110/hr for labor charge is crazy. It's Tucson, I paid $25 hr less in the Bay Area,California for something last year I needed done. Gonna order those videos and give it a shot. Just take my sweet time and get it done. With all the knowledge on this board I should be fine (I hope):)

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
I don't mind waiting for shims if needed, I have other bikes 2 ride. Easy to work on kind, 2 strokes, been awhile since I broke out the h2. Did coolant last year anyways. Forgot about. Spark plugs. Wouldn't hurt to have new ones on hand if needed. Know nothing about synching throttle bodies . Guess I better start searching for that and what it involves.

Offline texrider

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
I don't mind waiting for shims if needed, I have other bikes 2 ride. Easy to work on kind, 2 strokes, been awhile since I broke out the h2. Did coolant last year anyways. Forgot about. Spark plugs. Wouldn't hurt to have new ones on hand if needed. Know nothing about synching throttle bodies . Guess I better start searching for that and what it involves.

Same as carbs, the object is to make the closed throttle airflow the same on each.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »
I would like to try a valve adjust on my bike.

Wouldn't be a valve check thread if someone didn't ask what your mileage is....  you might not even want to bother with such a procedure yet...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »
Bike just turned 25k now. Sorry about leaving that out.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
Just about perfect! You need an air filter for sure, you do not need spark plugs but at least you got some life out of them, it is worth checking the throttle body synch. now (I doubt you need to do it but it is not a waste of time at 25K IMO) and just time to do the first valve lash check. You can get a lot of maintenance out of one C-14 clothes strippin' sessions now.

Brian

Bike just turned 25k now. Sorry about leaving that out.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »
I did the air filter and coolant at 20k. Gonna order some metric feeler gauges tomorrow, ones I have now are standard with metric conversion on them. Want some dedicated ones for this . Thank goodness for searching on here. Lots of reading today. Gonna try that throttle synch as well, along with routing houses for the next time . Give it a shot in a couple weeks once I have my parts in hand, well except shims anyhow

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »
Step away from the bike and keep your hands where we can see them.  Unless of course you are looking for internet fame.  Haroldo, you are gone but not forgotten.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »
I am just putting mine back together after a valve adjustment. I replaced the valve cover gasket because there was a leak after I put it back on. On the first check a couple years ago I did not change it. I did replace the cam sensor o ring. Easy and cheap. They are known to fail. The seal on the side cover is recommended that you put some silicone on it which I did the first time but just cleaned it off and used it again. Other than that, just shims. Didn't do a TB synch because I can't find my gauges! I did it 15K ago, so gonna forget it this time.
Going to finish it off tomorrow!

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 04:16:42 AM »
Did someone have some sort of chart for writing things on as you did the valves so that you could keep track of measurements and such? Thought I read it somewhere and would like to print it up. As for haraldo have no clue but it doesn't sound good

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:57:30 AM »
Bunch of threads here.  I think that we have a spreadsheet somewhere on the site.  Possibly in one of these..

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10264.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
There was a shim map floating around somewhere. Maybe in those threads.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
I will interject here, that the single most important thing you need is the Factory Service Manual.
It is priceless explaining all the little "remove this, then that" parts.
This is not to be taken lightly, there is valuable info there that simply cannot be transferred by watching a video.

JMHO/ YMMV

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »
I will interject here, that the single most important thing you need is the Factory Service Manual.
This is not to be taken lightly, there is valuable info there that simply cannot be transferred by watching a video.

JMHO/ YMMV

Shhhhh, hush, how are we to get cheap, free entertainment?  Good advice like that will get you promoted to a tech position ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »

+1
I ordered it from the dealer the day I bought the bike (same with the previous bikes and my cars).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »
No worries I have the manual. Been reading it as well ( in between algebra). Not sure which is a worse read though or harder to understand. Made my parts list to order as well. I'm gonna get this done . I'm just going to have to be meticulous about it. Thanks for all the input so far. It's appreciated .

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 03:42:56 AM »
Here's a link to what I found to be the best prices on the valve shims when I did mine in December.
(The C14 & ZX14 use the same shims.)

http://www.jakewilson.com/p/3998/26634/Pro-X-Valve-Shim?v=10019
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.