Author Topic: Heated gear - best invention since the woman!  (Read 6545 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Heated gear - best invention since the woman!
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »

Man do I love heated gear!  8)

Beautiful PNW morning commute into the office today, clear skies, dry roads, and 22 degrees (I think the high today is only supposed to be 28), I was plugged in and toasty warm!  :)

Why in the heck did I ride through 25+ winters before pulling the trigger on this stuff!!  ??? :-\ :nuts: :banghead:

I have the Gerbings jacket liner, Gerbings T5 gloves, and Gerbings boot insoles, great setup IMO!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Heated gear - best invention since the woman!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:07:56 AM »
Wimp, I only turned on my seat this morning and it was 20 on my side of town.  ;D

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
Guys at work were impressed that I rode to work, that is until they found out I have heated seats, grips, and jacket liner.  I guess real men don't need electric heat.  I said "Fat men don't need electric heat".  That shut them up.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Yep, heated gear is 'like sex, only good'.  :-)

Your question is the one people always ask- why did I wait so long? And what very few people realize, at least before they have heated gear, is that it does not make riding in the cold tolerable, it makes it downright comfy! Even us Mary Jane Tinklepants grade riders can ride in cold weather and not have to suffer.

It seems that you do not have heated pants / pants liner Jay; if you add that, it makes powering up the sole heaters a lot easier as there are wires in the pants and you do not have to use any 'Y' harness. Then again, the pants ain't cheap so I am not really recommending them either. :-(

Gerbing is out with an entire new line of gear and it is vented; if it is waterproof and eventually comes in silver / light gray, they could make a believer out of me. I have two full sets of their gear now but it is the older stuff, not vented, and too heavy for summer use.

Brian

Man do I love heated gear!  8)

Beautiful PNW morning commute into the office today, clear skies, dry roads, and 22 degrees (I think the high today is only supposed to be 28), I was plugged in and toasty warm!  :)

Why in the heck did I ride through 25+ winters before pulling the trigger on this stuff!!  ??? :-\ :nuts: :banghead:

I have the Gerbings jacket liner, Gerbings T5 gloves, and Gerbings boot insoles, great setup IMO!  :thumbs: :thumbs:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »

Yep, heated gear is 'like sex, only good'.  :-)

Your question is the one people always ask- why did I wait so long? And what very few people realize, at least before they have heated gear, is that it does not make riding in the cold tolerable, it makes it downright comfy! Even us Mary Jane Tinklepants grade riders can ride in cold weather and not have to suffer.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

It seems that you do not have heated pants / pants liner Jay; if you add that, it makes powering up the sole heaters a lot easier as there are wires in the pants and you do not have to use any 'Y' harness. Then again, the pants ain't cheap so I am not really recommending them either. :-(

Nope, I don't have the heated pant liners but I do have the heated corbin seat, and that seems to do quite well for my arse. As for the Y harness I don't find it challenging at all, plugs right into the insole plugs (I leave the heated insoles in my winter boots always, so the cord is always there for easy access) and plug the other end into the bottom of my heated jacket liner and I'm good to go, I slip right into my Stich one piece with the one neck to ankle zipper and done!  :) :thumbs: :thumbs:

I do think that the Stich one piece makes using the Y harness for the boots alot easier than if somebody was trying to fish it through a pair of just motorcycle pants only.  :-\

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
You got my vote on heated gear!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
Ab- So- Lute- Ly !  If you can just plug in the harness and leave it hanging (easy boys!), there really is no advantage in heated pants or heated pant liners.

Using the glove or foot heating device 'Y' harness with a riding jacket or riding pants on top of the harness is a PIA. Just slipping a 'Stitch on and zipping up would make the way you are using your gear pretty slick.

Brian

I do think that the Stich one piece makes using the Y harness for the boots alot easier than if somebody was trying to fish it through a pair of just motorcycle pants only.  :-\
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »

Nope, I don't have the heated pant liners but I do have the heated corbin seat, and that seems to do quite well for my arse. As for the Y harness I don't find it challenging at all, plugs right into the insole plugs (I leave the heated insoles in my winter boots always, so the cord is always there for easy access) and plug the other end into the bottom of my heated jacket liner and I'm good to go, I slip right into my Stich one piece with the one neck to ankle zipper and done!  :) :thumbs: :thumbs:

By "Stich one piece" I assume you are referring to the Aerostich One Piece.  I just checked their website and learned that they offer a couple different versions.  Please tell us which you are using and if you can offer a brief review, I for one will be grateful.  Knowing that you're not bashful about posting pictures, how about asking your wonderful wife to take a couple of pictures of you modeling it and adding them to this thread. 

By following the many changes you've made to your C14 and incorporating several to my own bike I have blown a small fortune on it.  Adding a riding suit to my riding attire, though expensive, is still chump change compared to the quantity of money already spent.  I have all of the electrical clothing available and my own version of heated boot insoles that are much warmer than Gerbing's (I have theirs also, but never use them).  I enjoy being able to ride in warmth the year round as you do.     

Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:29 PM »
By "Stich one piece" I assume you are referring to the Aerostich One Piece.  I just checked their website and learned that they offer a couple different versions.  Please tell us which you are using and if you can offer a brief review, I for one will be grateful.  Knowing that you're not bashful about posting pictures, how about asking your wonderful wife to take a couple of pictures of you modeling it and adding them to this thread. 

By following the many changes you've made to your C14 and incorporating several to my own bike I have blown a small fortune on it.  Adding a riding suit to my riding attire, though expensive, is still chump change compared to the quantity of money already spent.  I have all of the electrical clothing available and my own version of heated boot insoles that are much warmer than Gerbing's (I have theirs also, but never use them).  I enjoy being able to ride in warmth the year round as you do.     

Hi Bud, always a pleasure hearing from you brother!  :chugbeer:

[/size]Yes, by "Stich" I mean Aerostich, I have the "Roadcrafter One Piece Suit" in the link below, as for pics the only one I can find is posted below as well, it's a great suit IMO, I couldn't be happier with it! :thumbs: :thumbs:

[/size]http://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-piece-suits/roadcrafter-one-piece-suit.html

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:37 PM »
In the office with dress shoes on.  ;D

I like this suit, but I found it not to be near as warm as my two piece Tourmaster gear. I still have not worn my Tourmaster gear since I bought this suit because with the right layers underneath it works great for riding into the office, plus when you spend that much :censored: money for gear you're damn well gonna use it. Super easy to get on and off.  :thumbs:

Oh ya, If you were thinking I rode to work in dress shoes. No, that was the day UPS showed up with my new Stich that my bad influence, indecisive about color,  money spending buddy Jay found on eBay. :rotflmao: Now I have to keep dress shoes in my locker at work.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »
In the office with dress shoes on.  ;D

:o  Don't they have heat at your office?

Damn economy, business's can't even afford to turn the heat on... thanks Obama.  :'(

Good looking Stich Gumby!  :thumbs: :thumbs:
  ;D :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
I wear the Roadcrafter 2 piece (still running it T-Cro), it will zip together and function as a one piece if desired, but I tend to not zip it together.  I have at least 50,000 miles on that suit and love it.  I even use it for ADV rides.  At the end of the trailwhen it is nasty dirty put it on, turn on the shower, grab a bottle of shampoo and scrub away, take the extra towels and place underneath the now clean suit up to drip dry, dress, and head to the bar to share the trip with the locals :)

Heated gear?  Heck yes.  Old commute was 40 miles each way in the PNW, rain or shine I rode to work.  First couple of years I was the biggest silk fan, stuff works great.  Bought my first pair of 'lectric gloves, eh, when hands were dry easy on, but as I filled the tank 2-3 times a week it was a sure thing I would be stuffing my hands into the gloves wet.  BDF had made a few comments on how heated gear "was like sex, only gooder" so since a rider so aged and seasoned thought the stuff was nice I conned my wife into a Gerbings jacket for Christmas.  First time out was WOW WOW WOW, pouring rain, stop and go traffic, tunes in my helmet, and a nice toasty feeling.  Better than, well, it is a family forum.  Skip the vest, get the jacket, and you will never willingly go back.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
Skip the vest, get the jacket, and you will never willingly go back.

I agree with skip the vest, my arms need to stay uber-warm too.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »
  At the end of the trailwhen it is nasty dirty put it on, turn on the shower, grab a bottle of shampoo and scrub away, take the extra towels and place underneath the now clean suit up to drip dry, dress, and head to the bar to share the trip with the locals :)

Wow!  You must ride some upscale trails!  I've never seen a shower at the end of the trails around here!   ???
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
End being after 6 days in the bush and parting ways with a riding buddy :)  My trails tend to go from one side of a state to another ;)  Next trip it will be 2 states worth of trails and then onto some mile burning slab (time crunch to make the Desert 100).  I agree, what I see makes it the most upscale trails in the world :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »
the TAT goes all the way across the country off road but still there are showers available if one wants to jump off the path.  I'm looking at a map of the most rural parts of CA/AZ/UT/CO and there are still showers all over if one wants to make the trails/days end at one.

Now if you CHOOSE to stay off road or not to have a shower at the end of the trail...just sayn'   ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
I have a battery operated heated jacket, which works quite well!    Provided I remember to charge the battery before I head out... >:(
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
I have a battery operated heated jacket, which works quite well!    Provided I remember to charge the battery before I head out... >:(

Nice, I need my wires on those 1000-1100 day trips. But that gives me an idea for my sportbikes i just ride around here!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »
One of these days. Heated gear or move to Florida. Then do the snow bird thing. Tough choice.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
One of these days. Heated gear or move to Florida. Then do the snow bird thing. Tough choice.

Even if you live here half the year you still want to venture elsewhere on the C14, it hates staying within state lines and at the northern border of FL its chilly in the winter....and the temp "goes south" from there  ;D