Author Topic: PR4's arrived and installed!!  (Read 24385 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: PR4's arrived and installed!!
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
Yes, without any doubt but probably not from a motorcycle crash caused by mixing tire brands.

Not sure where / why this brand mixing or even same brand but different type mixing fear comes from. So you put a brand new pair of tires on a motorcycle and begin to wear them out. Say at the 1/2 worn out place, one gets a hole and you replace it- so now one tire is new, one tire is 1/2 worn.... is that some kind of disaster? Next step is mixing two different tires: how can that be bad if they are both applicable to the bike in the first place? I have read that the tire mfg.'s design tires to go with the other tire they also designed but I really do not buy into that but even if I did, how about when the tires are 3/4 worn down or more- did the mfg. design for that too?

There are people who purposefully mix tires, regarding both type and brand, and like the bike that way. Makes sense to me. In fact, I am considering trying out a softer front tire coupled with a more conventional sport touring rear tire. Not quite ready to go to full on sport bike rubber as I do ride in the rain often enough to want more water channels in a tire but perhaps a Pirelli Angel ST front (a pretty soft tire for ST tires) and a Michelin PR3 rear?

And yep, I am pretty sure I am going to die too but not from the above tire combination..... probably :-)

Brian

Since we're off topic....I've got a PR3 on the front on an Angel on the rear. Am I going to die?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
Not sure where / why this brand mixing or even same brand but different type mixing fear comes from.

Probably from cars.  Like I said originally, I would never mix brand/type/life tires on the same axle... it could cause performance problems and possibly safety too (different grip, different diameter causing computer issues with ABS or traction control, load shifting, something like that maybe).  Matters very little on different axles, like is always the case on a motorcycle.

I have read that the tire mfg.'s design tires to go with the other tire they also designed but I really do not buy into that but even if I did, how about when the tires are 3/4 worn down or more- did the mfg. design for that too?

It could be for water shedding properties... that's about all I can think of.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
I didn't describe what I meant very well.

There are those who say we should not mix tires, or even go so far as to replace only one tire; they should go on as a set. My point was that if a set of tires is 3/4 worn down, which is not an unusual condition to ride a motorcycle in and perfectly acceptable to everyone I think, and if one was replaced, how could the riding qualities / safety of one worn (but perfectly serviceable) tire and one new tire be any worse than both tires worn down 3/4 of the way? That is why I am saying that a lot of the folklore about tires being 'sets' does not make much sense to me.

Brian

<snip>

It could be for water shedding properties... that's about all I can think of.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »
I didn't describe what I meant very well.

There are those who say we should not mix tires, or even go so far as to replace only one tire; they should go on as a set.

I totally agree with you
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Now that the topic appears to have completely transitioned to using mismatched tires, I would throw in my two cents that I thought just about every concours owner did this given the crap front tire that came with them.  I ran a PR3 front with the stock rear (was that a dunlop?  I don't even remember) for 6000 miles without issue before swapping the back to a PR3 as well. 

I know where max is coming from though with cars, you never want two different tires on the same axle, but it is quite common, especially on trucks and rear wheel drive cars to see a different set of tires on the front and rear especially in areas with a lot of snow.  Check out the tires on any crown vic if your police dept. still uses them.  Like mentioned this doens't really apply to motorcycle, well unless you have a 2 wheel drive ural :P

Now to bring this back on topic, I plan on putting a PR4 GT on the front in a few months while leaving the PR3 on the rear. I was very happy with the PR3 so I'm looking forward to the even better wear on the PR4.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »
Guess who just got a good deal from his shop today?! This guy!  I went in there the other day just for kicks and he said "BTW, I've got a good price on the first set of PR4's we sell, and it's still up for grabs..."   Got the green light from my better-looking half, and picked them up today!      The caveat is that I have to run the stock tires until they're either toast, or next winter, whichever comes first.  I'm ok with that tho. As much as I ride, I don't see any sense throwing miles of tire use down the drain even tho I freaking hate the stock tires when money's a bit tight. 

Now THIS is how you take tires home!  :P    (I only live 2 miles away)

And a comparison to stock.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 04:58:49 PM »

Grats SGF!  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

What kind of trunk is that yer running?  ??? :-\

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 05:03:10 PM »
Tire trunk.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2014, 05:04:58 PM »
Tire trunk.

LOL!

I was going to say "Foot locker!"

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »

Grats SGF!  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

What kind of trunk is that yer running?  ??? :-\

That thar be a Pelican 1550 case!  I use it to carry my camera gear (my profession).

I had it on my old 650, and when I got the connie, I took the luggage rack off to trace the holes, drilled, and ran longer bolts through the bottom of the case and luggage rack to the factory mounting points, and bam!  5 minutes and it was mounted.

EDIT:  I definitely want to get one of phils racks eventually.  As it sits the pelican case bounces quite a bit from flex in the plastic on the case.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Cuda

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »
That little stock plastic plate is a real joke , your 1550 case is very large , do yourself a favor and order one phil"s  , they should come stock .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
That little stock plastic plate is a real joke , your 1550 case is very large , do yourself a favor and order one phil"s  , they should come stock .

+1...  :goodpost:

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2014, 11:23:28 PM »

Money's the issue right now.  Bought 2 newer vehicles on a loan to replace our 3 crappy vehicles, and are puttig less $$$ per month out than we were before!!

When money allows, i do plan on buying one tho.
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 07:05:06 AM »
PR4s at Bike Bandit right now are $337.90 shipped.
Joel from Maine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2014, 10:19:31 AM »
PR4s at Bike Bandit right now are $337.90 shipped.

Bike Bandit doesn't carry PR4GT 190/50ZR17 for some reason.  And fronts are backordered.
Revzilla is still out of stock on front but has the rear.  And you can't get the price if it is not available.
Motorycycle Superstore is still out of stock on the front but has the rear.  Factory size set for $359 shipped. 

My local dealer said $100 to mount/balance rear and $80 to mount/balance front.  Then add another $40 if I don't the tires from them (and they want a crazy $455 for the set after my special discount)

I wonder if the dealer can actually get the fronts.  I don't seem to have a lot of options right now, and I need tires very soon :(  Damnit

Offline st2sam

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »

My local dealer said $100 to mount/balance rear and $80 to mount/balance front.  Then add another $40 if I don't the tires from them (and they want a crazy $455 for the set after my special discount)

WHOA!,  that gives new meaning to the word STEALER!

I'd put those fecking tires on with my teeth before I give that crook a penny! >:(
2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
I wonder if the dealer can actually get the fronts.  I don't seem to have a lot of options right now, and I need tires very soon :(  Damnit
Don't you mean "Silverdamnit"?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »
WHOA!,  that gives new meaning to the word STEALER!

I'd put those fecking tires on with my teeth before I give that crook a penny! >:(

I went to another dealer (that I trust far less), they quoted $77 for the front and $77 for rear if I buy from somewhere else and $50 each if I buy through them (and they wanted the whopping $542.80 for the pair!).

It this works out the way it SHOULD work out, I shouldn't have to pay for mounting/balance at all because of the stupid tire pressure sensors......
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:59:14 PM by maxtog »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
http://www.jakewilson.com/p/3773/46555/Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-GT-Radial-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire
http://www.jakewilson.com/p/1742/46554/Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-GT-Radial-Front-Motorcycle-Tire

Thanks!!!!  Wow- not only in stock, but the lowest prices I have seen yet (by a several dollars).   I had never heard of the company before.  I just placed the order.