Author Topic: Uneven tire wear question  (Read 13908 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Uneven tire wear question
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2013, 06:52:35 AM »
I remember rocking Page Mill Road in my Fiat Spider.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2013, 01:03:39 AM »
I will fully admit to not taking the time to read through the calculations. I expect the formulas and the math are correct.

I'm not going to argue the formulas, IF you assume the same speed and lean through each curve. My point is that we do not take sharp right hand turns at the same speed as the larger radius left hand turns. I contend that we also lean further in those same left hand turns.

Also (using purely hypothetical values for illustrative purposes only since I do not have the actuals at hand), a ten foot radius right hand turn is just short of 80' long. A thirty foot radius left hand turn is over 700' long. That's spending nine times as long leaned over at that angle AND at higher speed. Even if we assume the radius of the right hand turn is only twice as long in the left hand turn, the distance traveled is still four times as far.

You can now tell me I'm still full of hooey if you like, but even if the stresses on the tires are fairly equal in both corners, being under that stress for four-plus times as long would still likely result in increased tire wear.

And again, I cannot recall ever seeing a road crowned steaply enough to explain having that tire wear so far off center.

Questions: Does the same wear exist to a lesser degree on the right hand side? If so, is it also closer to the center of the tire?

Stuck my head in my posterior orifice on this one. That's what I get for trying to do thinking and carry on a conversation with the wife at the same time. Got my pi*d crossed up with my pi*r^2. The 700 foot number looked wrong, but I didn't take the time to check myself. My apologies for not double checking.

Once back awake and with time without that voice in my ear, I'll recalculate.

'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs: ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..