Author Topic: The Unspeakable!  (Read 5566 times)

Offline AZ-ZG

The Unspeakable!
« on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
I know, I know. We don't like to talk about it.  Can't happen to me.  :-X

Anyone using something similar to this?
http://www.stickyj.com/aa1601c.html

On an anticoagulant for at least  six months.

Might be good to let first responders know in the event that I cannot.  ;)

USB dog tags would let you change info as the need arises.

Are EMTs trained to check a specific area, neck or wrist?

I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline mike

Re: The Unspeakable!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
I've been wearing a RoadID for the last few years..... http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
I actually know a C-14 rider who is on blood thinners and wears a medical alert bracelet on his wrist to alert any medical personnel in the event he cannot tell them directly. I guess they (the medicos) know to look on the wrist(s) for such a bracelet. It is inscribed to carry the information to the person doing the treating.

Brian

I know, I know. We don't like to talk about it.  Can't happen to me.  :-X

Anyone using something similar to this?
http://www.stickyj.com/aa1601c.html

On an anticoagulant for at least  six months.

Might be good to let first responders know in the event that I cannot.  ;)

USB dog tags would let you change info as the need arises.

Are EMTs trained to check a specific area, neck or wrist?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
Coulda sworn I put this on the accessories area. ::)

Anywho.  :)

Wrist is preferred by EMTs? 
IBA#53928

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:17:59 AM »
Good high-tech idea, but these USB dogtags do not appear to be waterproof. You do not want to discover at a critical time that they have failed.
In a related matter, I was shopping for helmets recently and was freaked out by fine print warning on the helmets with inflatable cheekpads, to EMTs not to remove the helmets w/o deflating the pads first. What if they do not see the warning? :yikes:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »
I think they generally check for both bracelet and necklace alert tags.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
As a insulin-using diabetic, and a techie, I've looked at these, but was always put off by the thought that I have yet to see an ambulance equipped with a PC that could be easily used in emergency conditions to read one anyways, so I just stick to a bracelet and wallet card.

Seems that it'd just be more universally accessible...    but YMMV.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »
I know EMT's/Paramedics... as of right now, USB readers and the like are not the norm... time is of the essence if in a life saving mode... a cursory look for tags and bracelets... once at the hospital, you may get a more thorough look over once stabilized. 

You want food and medicine allergies listed, severe medical issues listed (diabetic, heart issues, pace maker... etc) KISS... and Emergency contact info...  who you are...     

Been using these for years...

http://www.resqtag.com/
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
Hi tech stuff (read 'electronic') is surely interesting, but not every medic is hi tech ... or equipped with the tech needed to read your hi tech.

Dog tag(s) around the neck and/or bracelet(s) seem most universal and most obvious, and therefore most likely to help a medic try to save you.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
Right on, thanks for the replies!  :)

Guess I'll stay low-tech and just get new ones as the info changes.   8)
IBA#53928

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
I've been wearing a RoadID for the last few years..... http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

This, every ride, every day.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
I thought the point the USB dog tags and the like is to give the super important info written on the tags, but full medical history is available once they reach the hospital.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
I thought the point the USB dog tags and the like is to give the super important info written on the tags, but full medical history is available once they reach the hospital.
Yes, although many EMTs do indeed have the ability to read the USB device.  I have one for my father that is worn like a watch, it has as much info on it as a person could ever want, including DRs, meds, emergency points of contact.  The med tag is indeed looked for, either wrist or neck, as part of the initial assessment.  I would recommend these items for anyone who has special conditions or specific allergies to routine meds that may be administered roadside.  Tag and USB. 

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
Was thinking this http://www.utagice.com/acatalog/index plus Road ID  bracelet. Kind of a belt and suspenders setup.  :)

Waterproof is addressed in the FAQ, last line I believe.

Hey, it's a farkle for me, maybe I'll splurge! !   ;D

:chugbeer:
IBA#53928

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 08:54:59 PM »

In no particular order, wrist then neck. Then refrigerator (DNR directives), wallet/purse, then family/friends in the immediate vicinity.

Keep in mind the primary function of EMT's, in case of an 'upset', is to stabilize. Stop the bleeding. Administration of [additional] anti-coagulants is not on the top of the list. If a heart attack, you (first responders) do what's necessary. Additional anti-coagulants in this case may not be fatal. May.

No, I'm not an EMT. But I slept in a Holiday Inn dumpster at the Allenspark FD last night.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »

+1, and they keep sending messages now that I am on their mailing list.  Neat product though.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
all Aerostich products have a right hand wrist sleeve pocket. I keep all medical info there, along with contact number.
Ther is a velcro stip adjacent to it, for alternative attachment purposes, I have attached an alert tag (red) to that velcro, to tell emergency to go thru that zipped pocket,(they will see it because they do a limb search immediatly) and follow procedure, and contact Momma (god willing she was not with me if they are checking that...)
Also have programmed cellphone under ICE (In Case of Emergency) with my wife's cell number.
Don't forget that option, many responders look there when tending aid, it's become a customary link.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »
Also have programmed cellphone under ICE (In Case of Emergency) with my wife's cell number.
Don't forget that option, many responders look there when tending aid, it's become a customary link.

Good point guys. If you don't have this, you're not doing it right. Nearly all phones support ICE numbers. This means even when your phone is locked, you can dial 911, and any emergency numbers. This means first responders can call your ICE contacts without breaking in to your phone. If you don't have security setup on your phone, then you're just crazy.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"