Author Topic: Does the Kawi C14 ruin you for other Bikes???  (Read 16075 times)

Offline seagiant

Does the Kawi C14 ruin you for other Bikes???
« on: November 30, 2013, 02:27:47 AM »
Hi,
      Was thinking of picking up another bike as a project. Looking at maybe a Muscle/Bobber style made from a 70's Gold Wing 1000/1100 bike or a Kawi/Honda 1000 type. Crossed my mind though that after the build may not be impressed with the ride after getting used to the wonderful C14??? What say you guys that have more than one bike?

Offline phoneman

Re: Does the Kawi C14 ruin you for other Bikes???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 05:41:39 AM »
  Mine is a nice ride.  The more I ride it the more I like the power and the smoothness of it.  Even the weight of it is a benefit at times.

And then I get back on my 12 Weestrom and I enjoy it also. Not nearly as powerful or as smooth as the Connie but still a mighty fine ride. It ain't nearly as heavy either and you notice that immediately.  I have it set up perfectly for me and I wouldn't hesitate to get on it today and head for the Colorado mountains again.

And then I jump on my drz 400 and go play in the mudholes.  I'm smiling the whole time.

Every bike is different and has different uses. 

Speaking of the Colorado mountains--- I'm gonna ride out there again next June.

Who wants to tag along ?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:08:48 AM »
I want to but the better question might be, who can. I know it's a ways off but I can't believe you won't have takers. :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:04:12 AM »
Absolutely not.  The other bikes have their own personality, riding positions, and fun factors.  What the Concours has done is to keep me from trying to pull more power out of the other bikes since it would be a waste of $$.  I ride them for what they are, just like I ride the Concours for what it is.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
      Was thinking of picking up another bike as a project. Looking at maybe a Muscle/Bobber style made from a 70's Gold Wing 1000/1100 bike or a Kawi/Honda 1000 type. Crossed my mind though that after the build may not be impressed with the ride after getting used to the wonderful C14??? What say you guys that have more than one bike?

Hi Seagiant: You hit upon my exact problem. I have had at least two bikes in my garage at the same time for several yrs. I used to think my 1200 maddy was the beast no other bike could match for performance, size, handling. After getting my 08, i realize that bike is a piece of ....well not that bad, but it is an 80's bike and it is almost 30 yrs old. If i sell my 1200, then i need a replacement with concours-like performance, modern reliability, and cruiser comfort. I considered the new cb1100, but its hp is low. I've been wondering if the fz-09 might fit, or perhaps the new ninja 1000. There is also a suzuki turbo lurking on the horizon I need to satisfy my need for speed without folding my body into a pretzel.
Like you, I think I am damaged goods!!    chrs-mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline clogan

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »
Luv my c14, but also luv my KLR!

And I'm looking real hard at a low-mile 2012 Busa that keeps calling my name.

And there's this Road King just down the road, that's almost too nice to pass up.

Winter is my hardest time. Weather gets bad, bike prices drop, and I spend waaaaay too much time looking at, lusting after, (and sometimes buying) other bikes.

In better weather, the time is spent riding!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline seagiant

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 08:01:46 AM »
Hi,
      Looking at maybe a 90's ZX-1100? Deals to be had and it has power! At 6'8" 275 lbs. not everything works for me, but this is suppose to be a big bike? Nothing is going to be as comfy as a C14 for me but comforts not everything for a good day ride! Anybody own one of these?

I like the way the running lights are molded in the bodywork. This was suppose to be the fastest thing out of a box in it's day!!! Kawi's are just bad to the bone!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:20:43 AM »
I know it ruined me for the C10..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »
I have  a Ninja 1000 as well as a c14.  I'm in no hurry to get rid of either.  I worried about liking one more over the other, but in reality its a non issue.  Honestly, I want to add a few more to the mix.  I like the Ninja for in town use.    It feels small compared to the c14 and is easier to deal with in parking lots, and low speed conditions.   Although thats not entirely true.  If I need a bunch of things from the food store, the c14 does that well. 

That feeling the c14 has on freeways is hard to ignore.  Its so much better at high speed than a small, light bike is.  Just get the new bike...you'll enjoy it too.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »
I know it ruined me for the C10..

Well, that is to be expected.  The issue is they are both trying to fill the same role, and the C14 will just totally clobber the C10 in every possible way making the C10 obsolete.  For multiple bike to "work" they usually have to be of different roles (like one sport, one sport touring, one touring, one dual purpose, one standard/naked, etc).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
I had a Voyager XII and it ruined that one as well.  I've never had power like the C14 provides on any bike I've owned, which isn't that many.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline theAmazingKickstand

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
I've had a bunch of bikes with character. Race track massive Vtwins, 250's, and everything in between. I have one more super fun bike to sell and be free of them all. The Concours is the only one I ride now cuz Im spoiled with the comfort and wind protection.
I hop on the "fun" bikes every once in a while but get tired after 20 miles.....I might simply not like "motorcycling" anymore though.
The Concours is the only bike I've bought twice.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
The "problem" with the C14 is that she does so much, so well. For touring two up, I'd take the K1600GT, but then I need something lighter once I get to the destination. The S1000RR is an awesome fun in the curves, but getting there is the pain. The C14 does so much of the role of the other two...
I haven't had any itch for off road, so I'm good  :)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline seagiant

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
Hi,
     Cool! Thanks for the input fellas! I'm so blown away by my C14 I'm not really looking to buy another bike right now to ride,but might get one to rebuild and wrench on! My seat is at home from Seth Laam and I can't wait to get that back on and try it out. Just a few more days. >:(

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
I think it's good to have a few different tools in the toolbox ))

Offline BMahar

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
  When I bought the 2011 Concours it was the most comfortable motorcycle I had ever ridden. At the time I had a 2007 Suzuki 1250 Bandit, a 2002 Honda Super Blackbird and a 2005 Suzuki DR650.
 The only bike that was close to the comfort level, was the Bandit and although it is a great do it all bike it was no where near the Concours in power, breaking and all around comfort.
 I didn't include the other two motorcycles because that's like apples, oranges and grapes.
 Each of the 4 bikes has it own merits, but my favorite is certainly the Concours.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »
I think it's good to have a few different tools in the toolbox ))
So true. If you have the choice between two bikes or two women, one of those choices will will be nothing but a pain in the a**.
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
More than one machine is fun!  :)

C14 for everyday, XR650L for thumping in the woods.   ;)

Thinking of adding a Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE.   8)

I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »
So true. If you have the choice between two bikes or two women, one of those choices will will be nothing but a pain in the a**.

I can't afford multiple women )) But I can afford many bikes

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »
Ruin me for other bikes?  Connie is a handful off road and I don't even want to think about some knarly single track ;D