Author Topic: Coldest ride  (Read 20938 times)

Offline PH14

Re: Coldest ride
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
Teens many times as well. No temp gauge on the 2009.

Here is after eating at TGIFriday's one night.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 05:39:31 AM »
I have colleagues at the office who drive all year, no matter what. In Munich temps can go to -20°C sometimes (-4°F). Some of them are BMWs with special permits from the town-hall to mount tires with spikes  :o
And they don't drive exactly slow...

Me? I'm an elephant and a snow flake is the mouse  :-[
2°C (35-36°F) is my lower limit. Not physically; more mental. I just do not dare.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »
I have been in the single digits many times. Saw 19F on Black Friday. Next time I'll take a pic.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
Took my wife to work a couple weeks ago. She wanted to take her little V-Star 250 2-up (She's not endorsed yet) but I saw the frost on the cars and decided I wanted the traction control, windscreen, etc.  Good decision cause it was 20*F out!
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »
I took the bike down from Wells, Maine to New Haven, Connecticut. I am working down here all week. It will only be about 600 miles for the week, but that isn't too bad up here in December. Looks like the weather is already turning against me. I leave work just after midnight Friday and they are now expecting a rain snow mix. I might have to ride home the coastal route.
Joel from Maine.

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
I have ridden my old '86 Goldwing Aspencade in the snow quite a few times, usually on a trip and got caught in it. One day, and no I hadn't been drinking, I decided to take the Goldwing out in freezing rain, "just to see." I got dressed and ventured out, my then wife waited at home patiently, she was used to me by then. I rode the completely ice covered road behind my plan to the front of the plan, about 1/8 of a mile. I then had a choice, turn left uphill to go back to the house on the main road, or turn right downhill then do a u-turn on a flat section to go home. I turned right, turned around on the flat section, then once I got near the house had to turn and go downhill to the back road and turn right again to go to the garage. All the roads were 100 percent ice covered on top of frozen snow.

I made it without any issues, but I was beat when I got back. I also didn't plan on doing it again anytime soon. Surprisingly though, without making any sudden changes in direction or hard braking or acceleration, I never slipped. Still, don't want to do it on that big of a bike again, at least not on ice.

I run into a little ice at times when riding around Pittsburgh in the Winter. It is inevitable when it gets bellow freezing. I just ride a lot differently in the Winter than I do any other time of the year. I find I am more leery of wet leaves on the road in the Fall. In the Winter I just expect things to be slippery in places.

Offline loknload

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
We've had a bit of a cold snap here in Oregon.  I have a take home work bike (Honda ST1300P) and ride every day.  Yesterday morning it was 22 degrees when I left the house and this morning it was 19 degrees.  Next week we may see a little lower than that.  I've gotten pretty good at layering clothing and heated grips with Hippo Hands come in very handy.  Sorry, no pics since it wasn't on my Connie but still riding in the teens nevertheless.
Jarrod
2013 Concours 1400

Son of Pappy

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:59 PM »
Well done!!!!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
Well I wasn't on a bike but I was just out plowing snow on an ATV in -5 temps. My Honda Rincon has heated grips  but doesn't help the throttle thumb. Had to tape a chemical hand warmer to the thumb to keep it from getting frost bit. The only good thing when it is this cold is that snow can't melt a little and turn into ice. Even where it was well packed down from driving on it I could push it off.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »
Well I wasn't on a bike but I was just out plowing snow on an ATV in -5 temps. My Honda Rincon has heated grips  but doesn't help the throttle thumb. Had to tape a chemical hand warmer to the thumb to keep it from getting frost bit. The only good thing when it is this cold is that snow can't melt a little and turn into ice. Even where it was well packed down from driving on it I could push it off.

I always wondered why ATV and snowmobiles have a thumb control throttle instead of a twist grip? When I crashed my snowmobile a few years ago and broke my hand, it was the thumb throttle that did the damage.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »
Tonight is the night for my commute home. It looks like I'll be caught in a good hit of snow from Mass, New Hampshire, and Maine. Hopefully it is wet enough not to add up too much on the highways.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »
I always wondered why ATV and snowmobiles have a thumb control throttle instead of a twist grip? When I crashed my snowmobile a few years ago and broke my hand, it was the thumb throttle that did the damage.

Me too! I think the people who race the sport ATV's all convert them to twist grip. I once hit a big rock and wasn't holding the handle bars tight. They kicked back and badly sprained my thumb. I was about 5 miles from the truck. That was a long 5 miles.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
I rode a pretty uncomfortable ride last night. I left New Haven, Ct. and headed to Wells, Me. It was pouring rain up to Worcester, and then the freezing rain/snow mix kicked in. I stopped for gas in Lowell and didn't even take time for the warm coffee and warmth I was craving. I knew I would never get going again. So I kept on trucking. It turned into all snow in New Hampshire for the rest of the ride home. I still made good time. Under four hours. I should add my good rain gear was at home. All I found was an extra lg (way to small) El cheapo Home Depot rain suit. It didn't fit too good over my Columbia Parka. The best part of all was that my helmet shield wouldn't stay clear of fog, because I was already wet from working in this crap. I was taken good care of by the wife when I got home. I was warm in no time. That is what I get when I plan a week away trip in December on a bike.
Joel from Maine.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 09:21:51 AM »
Joel, thanks for the report, I was wondering how the trip went.  Next time consider the TDi :)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 10:02:08 AM »
Cold front coming here Wednesday!   ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »
Cold front coming here Wednesday!   ;D

So, FL is responsible for this global warming hoax!!!!!!!!! :P

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »
Damn Floridians...25F here and snowing briskly.  4-5" already.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
If Steve keeps up with this warm weather  :censored: , I'm going to give him a good talking to, let me tell you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
Florida does look good today.
Joel from Maine.