Author Topic: Rebuilding a C14  (Read 43586 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Rebuilding a C14
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »
Great thread. Keep sharing. Had the same feeling about the battery. :o

I assume he wasn't talking about the factory design, but the aftermarket stuff the previous owner(s) installed across the front of it...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2013, 08:11:17 AM »
I assume he wasn't talking about the factory design, but the aftermarket stuff the previous owner(s) installed across the front of it...

I think he's talking about the battery being installed backwards, and the mess of aftermarket wires.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
battery being installed backwards

Oh yeah, it *is* installed backwards, too!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Wingfixer

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »
So, I got the shims to complete the valve job… Somehow I missed a few that were needed. So valve job on hold. Attempted to put a new battery, and realized I am better off attempting that surgery during day hours. Whoever did this has to be looking for a new job. Pic in a sec

It sounds like this is coming too late but for future reference, I bought the shims for my valve job from a Honda dealer. They where less than half the price that Kawi wanted.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »
Well, sorry it has been a while… holidays and some personal issues have set me back from working on the bike. So far, valve job has been almost complete. Just need to double check clearances and button up the motor. new spark plugs, new battery… ordered a set of used triples… it's slowly coming along. Will post pics in the next few days.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 07:27:52 AM »
It sounds like this is coming too late but for future reference, I bought the shims for my valve job from a Honda dealer. They where less than half the price that Kawi wanted.

I got shims from Jake Wilson.com great prices. Definitely recommend.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Great thread, definitely following.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2014, 01:18:52 AM »
Great thread, definitely following.

+1
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
Some pics… pretty self explanatory. Have more parts on the way…

New battery getting acid filled. Good to read the instructions before doing this.

Spark plugs were not bad, but at this point might as well stick new ones:

Correct shims are in, just need to set the timing and put motor back together

New pads are in

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2014, 05:51:18 AM »
So, its slowly coming back together… New triples are in, and forks are no longer binding. New pads, rotors were send to Will's Rim Repair to get straightened. Motor bolted all up and valves are now perfect. Time to ger het back together cosmetically.

While we are at it, lets drain the final drive fluid and put some new synthetic fluid in.

Time to order some new parts and she will be ready for GA inspection. Still need a windshield motor assembly, latch for side bag, and a few small bits.

Throttle cables are on back order and I am re-using old ones that have a small kink.

Slowly but surely she is coming back to its former glory.

8)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »
Nice progress!  Wishing you the best of luck on the rotors, but I bet you end up with new ones.  I recommend the EBCs.  Front wheel looks nekid without rotors :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
So what's your plan for the bodywork?  :popcorn:

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »
So what's your plan for the bodywork?  :popcorn:

Cause ZG has nine different sets in a rainbow of colors.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »
Cause ZG has nine different sets in a rainbow of colors.

:-[       ;D :chugbeer:

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
I have most of bodywork, some panels are slightly pre-scuffed. Just a matter of bolting it all back up.

Rotors hava a very small pulse, I bet they can be straightened easily. If not I will get a new set.

Can't wait for riding weather

Offline Gsun

« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
Nice Alex! If possible, let us know how much you saved doing this. I did a rebuild when the bike was only a year old and saved about 3-4K over the cost of buying a used one in perfect condition. Not that mine ended up in perfect condition, but I could not have afforded it otherwise.

Offline Alex_V

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2014, 07:33:04 AM »
Well, I bought the bike very cheap… the guy selling it didn't disclose a lot about the bike, and purposefully hid a lot of the issues. So I lowballed the price big time. With all the parts and NOT counting my time I have about $3K in the project. Am going to spend another $1K to get everything right. So my plan for $4K + my time (and my friends time) to have a bike that is fully serviced and ready for long miles.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
Well, I bought the bike very cheap… the guy selling it didn't disclose a lot about the bike, and purposefully hid a lot of the issues. So I lowballed the price big time. With all the parts and NOT counting my time I have about $3K in the project. Am going to spend another $1K to get everything right. So my plan for $4K + my time (and my friends time) to have a bike that is fully serviced and ready for long miles.

^^^awesome!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gsun

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2014, 10:10:06 PM »
That's great! Your time is worth putting in because it's a fun project. At least mine was. If you added money for that, fuggitaboutit! Your friends helped? Uh oh. You have to add the cost of beer!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
Just found this thread today. Took most of my morning to catch up on it.
Great pictures and write up. Thanks for taking all this time to show progress. These are great bikes. How many miles were on the bike when you picked it up? I'm guessing 25,000 miles.
Good luck with the rest of the job.
Joel from Maine.