Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Tak-Lok throttle lock?  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Damn Potholes

• AdvancedSportTouring.com
    • Advanced Sport Touring
Has anyone tried the Tak-Lok throttle lock?
« on: June 09, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »
Has anyone tried the Tak-Lok throttle lock?  http://www.takonix.com/index.html

I know that its more money than the GoCruise which I already tried and had a miserable time with.  It looks very easy to set and because you can disengage it with the brake, it would be pretty safe.  Its no substitute for an actual cruise control but seems like it would do the job.  Anybody see a reason why it wouldn't work on the Connie?  Oh yea...the chrome.  I figure that chrome finish would visit Mr. Sandpaper very quickly after arrival.
My parts are forged with voodoo curses and unicorn tears.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Has anyone tried the Tak-Lok throttle lock?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »
For $160 why don't you just get a Throttlemeister which is about $30 less? For one thing, with the TM you can adjust it as you ride, for more/less throttle as the road situation requires. With this thing, I don't see how it's possible to do that. I'd be a little leery of something that latches onto something else. Not really clear how it works.

Sorta looks like a version of the Vista-Cruise things from back when (I dunno, may still be around).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:40:54 PM by JetJock »

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:27:49 AM »
Why did you have a miserable time with the GoCruise? I mean, I know it's not set-and-forget, but it only takes a few seconds of attention every now and then to keep you going one-handed.

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
I had a hard time setting it and when I did get it set at highway speeds it would creep back.

Offline C14THUNDER

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Just did a 2000 mile trip with it and love it.  Very adjustable and worth every penny...

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
I have the "gocruise" and it works okay (not great) and is about $20.

To me, GoCruise looks good (the black one) but given it is plastic, it just does not feel quality.

My guess is, depending on your grip surface (design / age) .... if it rains or the grips get oily, gocruise would likely not hold as well as Throttlemeister.

My GoCruise on stock OEM 2008 grips slipped a little, but would "bed" in quickly. I noticed the GoCruise website states for OEM rubber grips. My guess is Grip Puppys or Foam Grips would not work well. I believe someone posted that they cut away the foam so the GoCruise could still "bite" into the OEM rubber grips.

If I was sure the Throttlemeister for the C14 decreased the vibrations over OEM, (or at least was no worse than the OEM bar ends, ....

I would buy the TM even at 6 times the cost over GC. (or at least add Throttlemeister to my wish list)

RELATED URLS (GoCruise and Throttlemeister)

http://throttlemeister.com/app/inventoryapp/kawasaki/inventory_view/82-0-205-1.html

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »
I have the go cruise still (but just finished installing the Rostra cruise).  I liked the Gocruise as it was extremely quick and easy to use.  I have grip puppies, and it would not hold PERIOD!  I slipped a wide rubber band (the kind they wrap around vegetables like asparagus) around the grip where the gocruise is.  That stopped the slip for sure.

I installed the Rostra because I wanted a 'for sure' for my trip to Alaska in two weeks!  I still use the gocruise when I just need to take my hand off for a second or so.  I would consider the Rostra before spending 160 bucks on throttle meisters.  For just a few bucks more from Murph you get EVERYTHING!  Brian's instructions are absolutely amazing, and it really only takes a weekend to do!  If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!

But to answer the original question NO I HAVEN'T TRIED THE TAK-LOK THROTTLE LOCK  :)
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »
I use this one:  http://www.2wheelride.com/

$20 and it works pretty well.  It'll back off a little at times, but I'm not that comfortable using cruise control on a motorcycle for any extended time.  I've probably used it no longer than 20-30 minutes on the highway just to rest the hand.  Can't beat the price at any rate.

Edit:  Ooops, didn't realize mine is the GoCruise.  Duh! ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:42:10 PM by crashdb »
I feel like a new person!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
If you go to the Go Cruise website you will see this "Now come with Silicone Ring is ideal for metal grip or increasing friction"
http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html
I called and inquired and the owner sent me two rings right out the next day.  I too had the slippage but this addition solved that problem.  I would buy again in a heartbeat for 20.00

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
It looks big and clunky to me. I would go for the Throttlemiester. The Takonix looks like it uses the grip surface. I can't imagine that with the Progrips. I prefer the way the Throttlemiester works, and it's cheaper.

Offline Damn Potholes

• Advanced Sport Touring
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:34:43 AM »
The Rostra is a good price for a cruise control but I wonder if it would void the factory warranty.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »
The Rostra is a good price for a cruise control but I wonder if it would void the factory warranty.

How?  IIRC there are three wires that you actually 'connect' to existing wiring.  The other three or four you have to run/install.  It's really THAT simple.  I don't see how any dealer would 'void' your warranty.  If you follow Brian's instructions (Murph has them on his site) you can't go wrong.  I can tell you honestly, the most difficult part of the install is 'fabricating' the bracket to hold the cable.  If you go with the cruise, I'll show you how I bent/cut mine so you only have to do it once.  But for the money it's the best farkle I've ever purchased/installed.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler