Author Topic: C10 Canyon Cage Build Thread!  (Read 51204 times)

Offline gregman_1

Re: C10 Canyon Cage Build Thread!
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
Just saw this, I love love love the added coverage of the canyon cages versus the Murph's bars.  I also loved that you used a Connie that looks exactly like mine for the finished shots!

How sturdy are you expecting the saddle bag bars to be when the bike has some forward momentum?  The lack of bracing concerns me (same as the Murphs), but I understand that would block the passenger peg.  We are taking two Connies across the Translab next year and will need plenty of protection to keep from breaking antlers 200 miles from the nearest town.
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2014, 08:30:44 PM »
Tip over videos coming soon??
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2014, 06:04:57 AM »
+1   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Jwh360

« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
Check out what the UPS dude dropped off at my place!!  Canyon Cages!!  Yeah, I'm special.  Not really...MCE used my bike to do the prototypes, so I got the first set of bars.  I've installed the front bars, and I'll do the rear bars next weekend.

The mounting brackets were very easy to install.  I had to do some minor trimming on the lower heat guard with my Dremel to clear the lower mount.  Everything lined up nicely, and the quality of all the parts and hardware is top shelf. 
Jeff in SoCal. 1998 ZG1000-A13, 1979 RD400F Daytona Special

Offline Jwh360

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
Front Canyon Cages.

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
Just talked to the folks at MC Enterprises - they will be posting details for a group buy in the next few days. 
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline Jwh360

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »
Rear bars now installed.  Very easy installation.  Had to remove the "tabs" that are on the bottom edge of the side covers, and make a notch on the RH cover to clear the upper mounts.  See the picture.  Bars are super solid and look good.  I'll post pics with the bags mounted later.

Offline Jwh360

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
More pics.

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Any word on the tipover tests?
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »
In relation to the recently posted drop video in the other thread, you can see that, if the bike continues to go over, the mirrors WILL be taken out (Connie mirrors, particularly the elbow joint inside the rubber sleeve, break easily in falls).  In at least one of your drops, you can see the bike fairing kissing the pavement, and note that the bike has no mirrors...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1_KKSb18A

I know this from personal experience, and several tipovers.  I had millerized pegs on the bike, and this is exactly what happened to me.  My left mirror was toast, and my nose fairing suffered damage.  One of said drops popped my front turn signal reflector mount (it is taped to the bke now) when the fairing was damaged, and the other side's turn signal lens was punctured in the fall.  Quite expensive overall, so I have a lot of gaff tape on the bike currently (gotta luv random drunk people knocking your bike over)...

Mirrors for this bike ARE fairly expensive, not to mention the nose fairing and turn signal lenses... which is why I now have 'customized' mirrors on my bike, which aren't nearly as big (in mirror surface/reflective area) as the regular Connie mirrors were.

I would recommend the following modification to your design (see pic below), to minimize the chance of this happening.  The red lines show the angles needed to protect the mirrors, assuming that the top of the front cages is close enough/above's the bike's center of gravity in a tipover.  It might not meet your aesthetic standards, but I think it looks quite stylish...

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
I don't mind the aesthetics of the design you show there. It actually looks pretty cool. The thing is, we actually tried a design like that and it still didn't work as intended. You need to go wider on the bottom of the bar to hold the bike up further, not the top of the bar. As you have it, if the guard were laying on the ground the mirror would be as well. If you look at my slightly revised photo of the one you posted, the mirror will still hit when you take the tires contact point with the ground into consideration. To get the effect you're shooting for, you'd basically have to invert your design and have the wide part on the bottom which wouldn't look nearly as good as it does in your photo.

We tried quite a wide array of different designs and this was a particularly hard bike to design a guard for, for some reason. We did our best to design a good-looking product that would still protect the majority of the fairings under most circumstances. Of course, we could have altered the bar to protect a bit better but the aesthetics would be shot which seems to be an extremely important factor for a lot of people. The guard we have designed here performed very well during our "real-world" drop tests with someone on the bike. This is because the rider generally eases the bike down a bit, whether meaning to or not. It's very rare that the bike is going to tip over uninhibited from a vertical stance like shown in the video. That's the absolute worst case tip-over scenario. I chose to upload these videos because they showcased the worst-case scenario and I figured people would make incorrect, negative assumptions if we just showed the other drop tests.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
What I see happening in the drop video is that in a slower fall, when the bottom of the front guard and the rear guard touch the pavement it arrests the fall.  Hence, I didn't see the need to push the lower contact point out further.

However, if the bike is going over at a higher speed, that lower contact point acts as a fulcrum, and the bike continues to roll over at speed allowing the fairing to kiss the pavement.  I've seen the bike do the same thing with side cases attached (the bike uses the cases as a fulcrum, and continues to go over).  The Millerized Pegs acted as a front fulcrum, which is about the same height as where your lower front bar bend is.

By moving that fulcrum point higher/closer to and maybe above the bike's center of gravity, it'll make it much harder for the bike to 'roll over' the top point of the bar, as it will need more fall velocity to do so.

Also, you are assuming that the owner of the bike will be on the bike when it goes over.  Strong wind gusts and inattentive (or malicious) pedestrians can also cause a bike to go over, so there will be no one on the bike to slow it's fall.  670+ lbs of somewhat top heavy mass isn't doing the bike any favors in this situation.

I've had drunk people knock my bike over at least once, when I haven't been around to watch over it.  Not to mention a couple of low speed falls due to adverse conditions, and my bike has the bruises to show for it.  THIS is why this matters to me.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
Earth to MC Enterprise! Any update on a possible shipping date?  :popcorn:

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16532.15

See reply #20 ... he says first batch starts shipping early June.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »

We're shooting for the first or second week of June.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2014, 03:05:17 PM »
The first week of June would be great!  :thumbs: That would give me a weekend to install them before heading out to the National on the following weekend.  8)

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2014, 07:54:40 AM »
 :deadhorse:

Earth to Ryan???

Updates PLEASE!!!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »
:deadhorse:

Earth to Ryan???

Updates PLEASE!!!

The guards should be off to our powder coaters any day now. Once they're there, we should get them back within 3-7 days depending on how busy they are. I'll let you guys know as soon as we get them back and begin shipping them out.

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »