Author Topic: Oil pressure light after oil change  (Read 12723 times)

Offline JJFLASH

Oil pressure light after oil change
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »
I have a 2011 Concours 14.  I notice that after changing the oil it seems to take a long time for the low oil pressure light to go out.  I see the same behavior on the Ninja 1000.  On my other motorcycles after the oil change the low oil pressure goes out in about 10 seconds.  I have not measure it but on the Kawi's it seems to take over a minute.  I think this is too long for oil pressure to come up.  After the first start it behaves normally.  I am using Kawi filters and Castrol MC oil 10W-40

Is anyone else seeing this?

I have Googled it and there seems to be a number of post showing this is a common Kawi problem with complaints on the ZX12, ZX10, ZX636, etc.

Offline p07r0457

Re: Oil pressure light after oil change
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
a couple seconds is normal for air to be pushed out of the system.  Mine turns off after maybe 3 seconds.  If it takes a minute I'd say something is not right.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
a couple seconds is normal for air to be pushed out of the system.  Mine turns off after maybe 3 seconds.  If it takes a minute I'd say something is not right.

+1 Mine goes out right away. I'd be concerned if it took a minute.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
Yeah, I agree with dose guys- something is wrong if it takes one Earth minute to pressurize the system enough to put out the oil warning light.

You are either not flowing enough oil (clogged pick up screen, worn oil pump, cracked pick-up allowing air into the oil, etc.) or the oil light sensor is faulty. I would suggest putting an actual pressure gauge on the oil galleys (a standard test shown in the service manual) to check the engine's oil pressure.

Brian

I have a 2011 Concours 14.  I notice that after changing the oil it seems to take a long time for the low oil pressure light to go out.  I see the same behavior on the Ninja 1000.  On my other motorcycles after the oil change the low oil pressure goes out in about 10 seconds.  I have not measure it but on the Kawi's it seems to take over a minute.  I think this is too long for oil pressure to come up.  After the first start it behaves normally.  I am using Kawi filters and Castrol MC oil 10W-40

I have Googled it and there seems to be a number of post showing this is a common Kawi problem with complaints on the ZX12, ZX10, ZX636, etc.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
Yeah, I agree with dose guys- something is wrong if it takes one Earth minute to pressurize the system enough to put out the oil warning light.

Other types of minutes are more acceptable?

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »

On Saturn a day is ~11 Earth hours. So yes, a Saturn minute would be more acceptable.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »
Yes. This is the Internet so of course I do not know where the writer is: supposing he is on the Sun, for example, and his 'minutes' would only 4 Earth seconds long- perfectly acceptable IMO. Of course the oil would be quite thin (actually it would be a gas, in oh so many ways) so that pressurization period would be extremely acceptable.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »
Yep, he's absolutely  :nuts: .....Brian, that is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:27 PM »
I like you guys... it makes me feel better to know I'm not the ONLY one here who is broken in the brain parts.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »
Hey, you are getting the filtered version- I get the raw feed straight from the voices....

A few weeks ago, I saw a gentleman being interviewed on some TV show or other (not actively watching it at the time, just happened along at exactly the wrong moment) and he was talking about his testicular sac (his words) had swollen until it weighed 132 lbs. That is the truth. Now here comes the unusual part (you knew there had to be an unusual part, right?): he was having difficulty or could no longer do the following: walk, sit, ride in a car, stand, etc. etc. ad nauseum WHEN SUDDENLY he conjured up a solution: he put a 'hoodie' on upside down and put.... that heavy thing in the head pocket. While I applaud the gentleman for ingenuity and making use of the tools at hand, I cannot help but wonder how he can do such a thing because I would think the arm- holes would be far too small for the upper thigh area and it would cut off the blood flow to both legs. And, of course, I was wondering which way he was wearing the hoodie: 'face hole' (so to speak) facing forward or backwards? I mean, is there a 'right' way to wear a hoodie upside down like that?

So you folks go ahead and think I am a little strange 'cause in a world where THAT 1) happened and 2) was on TV during some type of interview show, I think I am the closest thing to well grounded that may actually exist. Well, me and Kirby of course.

Brian

I like you guys... it makes me feel better to know I'm not the ONLY one here who is broken in the brain parts.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 03:09:46 PM »
Hey, you are getting the filtered version- I get the raw feed straight from the voices....

A few weeks ago, I saw a gentleman being interviewed on some TV show or other (not actively watching it at the time, just happened along at exactly the wrong moment) and he was talking about his testicular sac (his words) had swollen until it weighed 132 lbs. That is the truth. Now here comes the unusual part (you knew there had to be an unusual part, right?): he was having difficulty or could no longer do the following: walk, sit, ride in a car, stand, etc. etc. ad nauseum WHEN SUDDENLY he conjured up a solution: he put a 'hoodie' on upside down and put.... that heavy thing in the head pocket. While I applaud the gentleman for ingenuity and making use of the tools at hand, I cannot help but wonder how he can do such a thing because I would think the arm- holes would be far too small for the upper thigh area and it would cut off the blood flow to both legs. And, of course, I was wondering which way he was wearing the hoodie: 'face hole' (so to speak) facing forward or backwards? I mean, is there a 'right' way to wear a hoodie upside down like that?

So you folks go ahead and think I am a little strange 'cause in a world where THAT 1) happened and 2) was on TV during some type of interview show, I think I am the closest thing to well grounded that may actually exist. Well, me and Kirby of course.

Brian

:rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »
Yeah, you think that is funny? Check this out: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/man-surgery-134-pound-scrotum/story?id=19091787

And to finish the story, apparently he puts the hoodie on with the face hole facing forward, and rests his.... stuff.... on a milk crate when sitting down.

Besides all that, exactly how does one weigh.... that? Just step up on my scale sir ain't gonna' work. Did they put a force gauge on the strings of his hoodie and pull until he screamed, at which point the gauge said 134 lb.f.? What did the surgeon say that evening when his / her spouse asked 'Anything new at work today?' So many questions, so little time....

And you people think I am a little 'off'. Sure.

Brian

:rotflmao:

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
If the cam chain stops rattling after a few seconds you have oil pressure.
Change the pressure switch.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »
If the cam chain stops rattling after a few seconds you have oil pressure.
Change the pressure switch.
:rotflmao:  I love a good scientific test.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 05:47:39 PM »
Brian, you need to finish those meds that you're on..  I really think that will help.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 11:54:19 PM »
Wheel barrows hold beer bellies.

This guy's would prob need risers.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
Brian, you need to finish those meds that you're on..  I really think that will help.

My theory is: he quit too soon.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »

I have a 2011 C14 and had a 2011 N1k and have a 2012 N1k and the oil light goes out within a second or two after an oil change. I don't let it drain for an extended period. I'm guessing you do and the oil pump takes awhile to prime when dry.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 05:08:15 AM »
could crank it and hit the kill switch as soon as it starts, do that a few times. thats what i do after the filter change,  my light is on a second or two after the few short cranks.
i have heard of cracking the filter after starting to purge air on a kawi from a motorcycle mechanic.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »
I've owned Kawis since 1995 and haven't done that once.  Never had any issues with the oil pressure or filters.  Have you tried that on a modern Kawi with a spin on filter or any kind of filter for that matter?  If not, I'd like to see that video...... :popcorn: ;)