Author Topic: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing  (Read 44667 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: Throttle Tamer, didn't know what I was missing
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2014, 07:44:35 AM »
Good OLD corn starch, they use to use corn starch spray on clothes when they iron them, If  I'm going to sand  fiberglass , I cover up ( of course) then spray corn starch around my neck and wrists the area that is exposed to prevent those little sharp particals from getting into my pores.  Hair spray has better stick ;) 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
I'm new to the bike, have never seen the bars under the grips, am interested in putting these on but terrified that I'd screw up the grip heater.

How did you guys get around that?

Also, the BEST way to get rubber grips on (or grip puppies on over the grips) is gel shaving cream.  Put a little in the inside of the grip and it slides right on (maybe a ten second install if you're slow), when it dries it serves as a cement as well.  (I worked as a bicycle mechanic for years)
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2014, 06:12:49 PM »
I'm new to the bike, have never seen the bars under the grips, am interested in putting these on but terrified that I'd screw up the grip heater.

How did you guys get around that?

I was scared too.  As it turns out, the heating element is 100% encased in the the rubber grip.  It is not a separate sleeve or exposed wires or element or anything.  I wish I had taken some photos, sorry.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »
Do the throttle cables have to be adjusted after installing the throttle tamer? Also, has anybody tried to file the stock throttle tube say with a Dremel, to mimic the initial reduced radius of the throttle tamer cam?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »
You will have to loosen the throttle cables to get the old one out, then tighten it back up when you're done.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
Do the throttle cables have to be adjusted after installing the throttle tamer?

As mentioned, you have to adjust them to get the old tube off and new one on.  No big whoop

Also, has anybody tried to file the stock throttle tube say with a Dremel, to mimic the initial reduced radius of the throttle tamer cam?

It is soft, thin-walled plastic.  I don't think it is possible.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2014, 06:51:34 AM »
I guesstimated from pics of the 400 cam on the Throttle Tamer how much to shave from the stock throttle tube. The first pic shows a line drawn with a Sharpie to guide the reduction. The second pic shows (in an unfortunate autofocus) the end result. The throttle tube is about 7 mm thick at max radius and 4.9mm thick at min radius. The cam lobes were not affected in any way, so the structural integrity should be uncompromised.

In my opinion this was a simple and very effective mod. BTW, I had picked up a used throttle tube with grip attached, from eBay, just in case things went south.  :)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »
'In my opinion this was a simple and very effective mod'

Have you tried it to confirm?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »
I guesstimated from pics of the 400 cam on the Throttle Tamer how much to shave from the stock throttle tube. The first pic shows a line drawn with a Sharpie to guide the reduction. The second pic shows (in an unfortunate autofocus) the end result. The throttle tube is about 7 mm thick at max radius and 4.9mm thick at min radius. The cam lobes were not affected in any way, so the structural integrity should be uncompromised.

In my opinion this was a simple and very effective mod. BTW, I had picked up a used throttle tube with grip attached, from eBay, just in case things went south.  :)

Here's the stocker and the Throttle Tamer side by side. I don't think that you can make the stocker do what the TT does.

click to zoom, see details and click again for a larger zoom.

[smg id=635]

[smg id=634]
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
'In my opinion this was a simple and very effective mod'

Have you tried it to confirm?

Yes. Couldn't call it effective unless it worked.  :)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2014, 09:22:24 AM »
Here's the stocker and the Throttle Tamer side by side. I don't think that you can make the stocker do what the TT does.

click to zoom, see details and click again for a larger zoom.

[smg id=635]

[smg id=634]

Interesting. The cam on your Tamer seems to have a channel? I went with the pics of the 400 cam on the 40-4F-36K tamer listed as appropriate for the Connie 14. And it works.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2014, 04:54:40 AM »

Interesting. The cam on your Tamer seems to have a channel? I went with the pics of the 400 cam on the 40-4F-36K tamer listed as appropriate for the Connie 14. And it works.

Yes, it has a channel and this is the TT listed as fitting my bike, works great!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »
Yes, it has a channel and this is the TT listed as fitting my bike, works great!

I'm really glad that we were both able to arrive at satisfactory solutions. I'm also relieved about not having to deal with the grips, corn starch, hairspray, etc.  :chugbeer:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline st2sam

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »

I did the "sanmo" mod today, easy pezy.
I used your pics for my guide, sharpie and all, thanks for sharing.

I only did a couple miles test ride, it started to rain.
I could not feel any difference in throttle response on my short ride.
 I guess the jury is still out on how effective a mod this is?    (at least the price was right  :D)
We'll know better tomorrow after a couple hour ride.  :thumbs:
2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »
On the other Forum, SilverConnieRider did something similar to Sanmo.
But, instead of removing a section of the cam lobe, he cut a groove.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2015, 09:48:59 AM »
Yup  I just joined this forum so I will post the images that I posted on the other forum
so you will know what connie_rider is referring to.

I choose to go this route as it cost me nothing (FREE  :chugbeer:) other then about an hour worth of work.
I wanted to sneak up on it AND I knew that I could always come back and do more.

After about a month of using it this way I feel it really helped to tame the throttle so as of right now
I haven't done any more to it. 

I used a small round file.  It creates a fair amount of plastic dust so I vacuumed often
to keep the shavings/dust from falling onto the cable or throttle housing etc.

Here you can see the cable sits in the groove and not on top of what was there stock.

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »

Nice job SCR, I may do this to the trike.

I assume you cut a grove both sides, so the run equally?

Richard

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2015, 05:32:42 PM »
Nice job SCR, I may do this to the trike.

It is interesting....

I assume you cut a grove both sides, so the run equally?

Now THAT is a good question...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »
I do not know what the other poster did nor am I answering for him / her but.... there is no need to grove the other side as that is not the actuating or pulling side of the cable set. The return cable will go slightly slack while the throttle tube is rotated such that the cable is actually in that groove but it does not matter; all the slack will be on the return side that is not actually used unless the throttle were to stick and need to be manually closed. Put another way, unless the throttle malfunctions or binds, there is no need or use for the second (return) cable- it is there as a fail safe mechanism only. Way back in the olden days, motorcycles only had the number of cables they actually used- one.  ;D

Brian

It is interesting....

Now THAT is a good question...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2015, 11:41:30 AM »
I do not know what the other poster did nor am I answering for him / her but.... there is no need to grove the other side as that is not the actuating or pulling side of the cable set. The return cable will go slightly slack while the throttle tube is rotated such that the cable is actually in that groove but it does not matter; all the slack will be on the return side that is not actually used unless the throttle were to stick and need to be manually closed. Put another way, unless the throttle malfunctions or binds, there is no need or use for the second (return) cable- it is there as a fail safe mechanism only. Way back in the olden days, motorcycles only had the number of cables they actually used- one.  ;D

Brian

^^^ Exactly.

No work done except what you see in the images.

I was only concerned with the pull (throttle opening less quickly at the beginning) and not about the return.

If you rode my bike and I didn't tell you that I did anything to the throttle unit, you would never know.
That is unless you noticed it was less abrupt - which is what I was going for.