Author Topic: White smoke coming out from underneath of the front fairing and handlebar space  (Read 16394 times)

Offline honzacaf

Hello all,

I would like to ask if something like this has happened to your Concour?
It's happening in the morning every time I start the motorcycle, and sometimes when the motorcycle is already wormed up.

I have this white smoke coming out from underneath of my front fairing and the space around handlebar. It smells like burned plastic.
I am currently on a military TDY with my motorcycle away from my house so I can not open it up and look into it.

Here is a video with the problem:
http://youtu.be/myB8Z2Mnzb8
I am sorry about the music, my pandora started to play.

I have done an oil change, and exchange the batter for a new one. No other modification has been done to it.
The issue has been happening for about two days.

Thank you very much
Honza

Offline stelt

looks like mine did...oil leak at front of engine when warming up...the dreaded cam sensor Oring...or valve cover gasket..just my 2 cents..

Offline G-Mazz

It is likely what the previous post suggested.  When you have time clean the front of the engine and header.  Brake cleaner works well on a cold engine.  When completely clean and dry spray white foot powder over the front of the engine, header and include the cam sensor.  Start the engine and look for leaks.  The spray powder will make it easier to locate the orgin of the oil leak. 

I think "Man of Blues" (Rich) was selling a slightly larger replacement O-Ring.  Using another factory ring will just leak again.

Good luck finding the leak, Gary
'08 C-14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
A new Pope has been elected?  But, assuming this isn't the case...I've had that smell (more like burning leaves) on and off since day one..  So far no ill effects.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
A new Pope has been elected?  But, assuming this isn't the case...I've had that smell (more like burning leaves) on and off since day one..  So far no ill effects.

It's an Argentinean Pope, Jim, obviously a nice guy  ;)
What others mentioned, and the reason for the only unplanned visit to dealer so far: a few drops of oil coming from the valve cover gasket onto the exhaust header.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Obviously!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
My Zx14 weeped oil there, among other things.  Until the KiPass was invented, I was a total Kawi hater  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
you really don't need to spray powder in there to see the leak, it will be quite clear by looking at the Cam sensor...you'll see a drip there and it will be wet...

here, follow the directions, I'll send them to you. Don't bother with a Kaw ring, it will still leak again.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13866.msg170699#msg170699

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline pistole

cam cover , probably.

left front portion , likely.

Offline honzacaf

Thank you very much.

I got back today from my TDY. I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thank you

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
If I could ever figure out how to post pics I would show the coupon newspaper that flipped up between my header pipes and caught fire.  Had me some smoke that day!

Offline jmd10259

Ahhhh yes the dreaded valve cover gasket and cam oring. Bit of a chronic issue on these bikes....btdt. Hope you get her looked after. A good weekend job if you do yourself!

Offline honzacaf

This is what I've found:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-gHT0ovB3MlNXp1QmlYRnBlVkE/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-gHT0ovB3MlWlJwdmJXRUFTZjA/edit?usp=sharing

I will have to disassemble my baby one more time and try to get in there to replace the Oring.

Thank you for all of your help, you guys are great

Honza

Offline jmd10259

If you are just doing the o-ring what I did was pull the side plastic off right side only, pulled the upper engine mount off and pulled out the right side rad fan, then you have a pretty clear shot at the cam sensor. I did mine in about 2 hrs or so. Then you can have a close look at the valve cover gasket. If you need to do it well at least you are part way there.....sort of lol. Mine is an 09, newer ones may be as bit different obviously for plastic removal etc. Good luck to you! A good 1/4" drive ratchet and socket set helps a lot.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
I got this for the first time today and thought of this post.

My question is, if you have the GTPP extended warranty, shouldn't this be covered? I have the warranty and need to take the bike in for a service and front brakes (under warranty) next week.

I did get a flashlight and looked in the openings in the fairings when I got home and I do see oil on and around the left, top header bolt.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
It should be covered...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
I got this for the first time today and thought of this post.

My question is, if you have the GTPP extended warranty, shouldn't this be covered? I have the warranty and need to take the bike in for a service and front brakes (under warranty) next week.

I did get a flashlight and looked in the openings in the fairings when I got home and I do see oil on and around the left, top header bolt.

yeah, it's covered, but the problem is the o-ring they use. It is marginal for sealing that sensor.
The ones I purchased and am sending out are pretty much the tightest fitting ones that will work, and so far we have not had anyone respond that they didn't seal, mine included...

You might want the rings I have if you go in there for repair, and make them put it in for you, and sign off on it.... ;)

I have sent a note to Kaw USA tech, outlining the issue, we'll see if they do another recall.... 8) ;D ;)

then they will buy up all of the available ones and charge $5 each for them.... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
yeah, it's covered, but the problem is the o-ring they use. It is marginal for sealing that sensor.
The ones I purchased and am sending out are pretty much the tightest fitting ones that will work, and so far we have not had anyone respond that they didn't seal, mine included...

You might want the rings I have if you go in there for repair, and make them put it in for you, and sign off on it.... ;)

I have sent a note to Kaw USA tech, outlining the issue, we'll see if they do another recall.... 8) ;D ;)

then they will buy up all of the available ones and charge $5 each for them.... ::)

Even if it's not the cam sensor seal, I will be mailing you an envelope and a $1 bill...   PM sent.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline honzacaf

Hello sir,

I would like to get the Oring, how can I get one from you?

Honza

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I like that avatar.  Have both that and the SAC emblem on my shield.