Author Topic: I learned the C14 is "top heavy" the hard way.........  (Read 15670 times)

Offline x9rider

I learned the C14 is "top heavy" the hard way.........
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:28:51 AM »
Hey,

I just returned from a riding vacation to Pennsylvania, and learned the hard way that the C14 is very top heavy at no speed or parking lot speed. The center of gravity is wayyy higher than what I am used to, and came to a stop on the road in front of my bro-inlaws house with a 30 pound bag on the passenger seat, and turned the wheel almost to lock with the intention of pulling in his driveway, since I was on the close side of the road........the bike went down like a ton of bricks. I did my best to slow the descent with everything I had, but there was no way I could save her. F'd up my right leg in the process.  FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...........

The trip went as planned, and I am trying my best to REMEMBER to do 3 point turns. I almost had another incident in Penn., again in a gas station parking lot, again on the right side, but this time I was able to hold her from fully going down, and a buddy was able to rush to help me put her upright. Lesson #2. Three point turns, especially to the right for me, need to be a way of life. I consider myself an advanced and very experienced rider, so this is not only embarrassing, it is a very humbling experience, since this is pure amateur rider stuff.

I have to order some frame sliders today, as well as the rear side fairing, the lower unpainted part, and the right pannier cover. Guess I will be browsing the site today for the best frame sliders to get for the eventuality that I will probably dump her again in the future, next time I have a no speed brain fart.

Other than that, I absolutely love the c14!
2010 Concours 14 ABS - Blue

Offline chap

Re: I learned the C14 is "top heavy" the hard way.........
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »
Same thing happened to me the other week. I have been riding for 35 yrs. Just got away from me and couldnt save it. Just so embarassing.

Thankfully I had the MC Enterprises Canyon Cages on. NO Damage, just a little scrape on the bottom of the cage.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
Same here.  I was near the end of a long day trip so I was tired.  I stopped for fuel, then wanted to move the bike away from the pumps.  I had an Airhawk on the seat and wasn't used to it.  Plus my Aerostitch riding pants had slipped down to the point that I could barely reach the ground with my toes.  All that plus a full load in the top case and stuff strapped to the seat meant that when it started to go over it was a losing fight.  The wrestling match lasted about 30 seconds and it went down softly, but crap, it still sucks. 

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:24:23 AM »
Been there, done that.

Same thing happened to me the other week. I have been riding for 35 yrs. Just got away from me and couldnt save it. Just so embarassing.

Thankfully I had the MC Enterprises Canyon Cages on. NO Damage, just a little scrape on the bottom of the cage.

+1... check them out.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
 :'(

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
I had a slow layover once on a trip with some buddies. Gravel parking lot and a bit of a bank downhill to the right as I was making the slow right turn. Let me just remind you of one rule to remember in the case of a slow turn ... ...

Your right hand and that brake lever are your enemy!!
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
More like "tall and heavy", no stopping it once it is heading down.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
I just returned from a riding vacation to Pennsylvania, and learned the hard way that the C14 is very top heavy at no speed or parking lot speed.

Yeah, now try it with a 26.5" inseam like me and let me know how much more exponentially heavy it is!

so this is not only embarrassing, it is a very humbling experience, since this is pure amateur rider stuff.

Been there, done that.  Thank God I had the Canyon Cages.  It was so embarrassing, I was at a complete stop when it happened, on 64, waiting on the damn tunnel.  Was so hot I was a little dizzy, tipped a bit to far (which wasn't very far) when adjusting jacket and slow-motion-no-stopping-it.  It gets amazingly heavy, VERY fast.  Even more embarrassing was that I could not get it back up without help (that is a first for me on ANY bike).

I have to order some frame sliders today, as well as the rear side fairing, the lower unpainted part, and the right pannier cover. Guess I will be browsing the site today for the best frame sliders to get for the eventuality that I will probably dump her again in the future, next time I have a no speed brain fart.

Canyon cages...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline x9rider

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »

Been there, done that.  Thank God I had the Canyon Cages.  It was so embarrassing, I was at a complete stop when it happened, on 64, waiting on the damn tunnel.  Was so hot I was a little dizzy, tipped a bit to far (which wasn't very far) when adjusting jacket and slow-motion-no-stopping-it.  It gets amazingly heavy, VERY fast. Even more embarrassing was that I could not get it back up without help (that is a first for me on ANY bike).

I totally agree. It sucks to ask for help, which I needed on both occasions. I'm not a small guy, and this bike is a total bear when its down on its side or in the process of going down ( the second time, I managed to stop it halfway down but, I didn't have the physical strength to upright it).
Even worse is getting it partway up from the ground somehow, only to run out of steam and have to lay it down again, so i've decided to not be a hero and ask for help when trying to right the bike.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »
More like "tall and heavy", no stopping it once it is heading down.

Sure you can...you can break it's fall with your body like I did when it fell on me in the garage.  Respect the bike!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 07:02:20 PM »
+1 on the Canyon Cages
saved my bacon 8)
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline SkyWalker

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »
I had a slow layover once on a trip with some buddies. Gravel parking lot and a bit of a bank downhill to the right as I was making the slow right turn. Let me just remind you of one rule to remember in the case of a slow turn ... ...

Your right hand and that brake lever are your enemy!!

Here's my Golden Rule; anytime traveling below 10-5 mph, abandon front brake use, lock your fingers around the throttle grip (to resist the temptation to grab the front brake) and solely use rear brake. Worst that will happen is your rear wheel will skid which is much easier to recoup than a front wheel slide/lowside slide :doh:

Imagine all the situations: oily patches at stops/red light, sand, gravel, low speed manoeuvers, parking lot u-turns, ...

Rear brake is a much more efficient mean to control forward motion at slow speed than the throttle. Maintain throttle, keep clutch at friction point and modulate rear brake; you'll have speed control just like driving a Chevy PowerGlide 8)

The only way to complete a slow speed U-turn is by maintaining forward thrust and this where rear brake modulation comes in. No forward thrust, bike falls. Too much you overshoot the turn and hit the curb. Proper modulation = control of speed and turn radius. Combine this with proper vision, looking towards the exit of the turn, not the asphalt two inches in front of your nose.

Offline x9rider

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
Sure you can...you can break it's fall with your body like I did when it fell on me in the garage.  Respect the bike!

Haha, that's the spirit!

Offline KawiG

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 04:53:59 PM »
I live on a road that's about 4 inches deep of just sand about a quarter mile long...every trip to the blacktop is a refresher class in rear brake and clutch control.
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline speed545

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »
had to use my 32 inseam a few time fully load and wife on it wondering whats happening. Manage to save it from falling

now I learned that throttle is your best friend. The last times i was in thoses tricky situations, i used the throttle to step forward and get the bike in a stable position again. Wife still asking whats happening

;D
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline KaTieM505

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
I live on a road that's about 4 inches deep of just sand about a quarter mile long...every trip to the blacktop is a refresher class in rear brake and clutch control.

I live on a 1/8 mile loose gravel lane. I use an old dirt bike trick. Simply stand up on the pegs. Your center of gravity is lowered since your weight is on the pegs rather than the seat. Improves stability immensely!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:27 AM »
I live on a 1/8 mile loose gravel lane. I use an old dirt bike trick. Simply stand up on the pegs. Your center of gravity is lowered since your weight is on the pegs rather than the seat. Improves stability immensely!

Your center of gravity is lower when standing on the pegs?    :o
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:35:47 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »
C of G of the bike stays the same. Riders C of G rises when standing on the pegs. Control points shift from handle bars/seat to handle bars/pegs giving quicker control of bike since you are able to move bike independent of rider.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:07 AM »
C of G of the bike stays the same. Riders C of G rises when standing on the pegs. Control points shift from handle bars/seat to handle bars/pegs giving quicker control of bike since you are able to move bike independent of rider.

Heck with oil threads....we now have a physics thread....awesome!
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »
Heck with oil threads....we now have a physics thread....awesome!

f = ma    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn