Author Topic: not so hot hand grips & fairing buzzing?  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Buddy769

not so hot hand grips & fairing buzzing?
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
Hi all

Newbe here, just wondering if anyone else has had any of these problems.

First of all I have a 2010 C14 with ABS, my heated grips don’t stay hot/worm, they will heat up, then they cool down, they heat up again. They won’t keep a constant temperature. Also I get a very ward buzzing sound, when accelerating the bike, when it revs around 4000 to around 4500 rpm. I think it is coming from where the faring overlap. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Buddy769 (Craig)

Offline jjsC6

Re: not so hot hand grips & fairing buzzing?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:41:54 PM »
I've had that issue with aftermarket heated kits, but not as bad with the C14 factory heated grips.  But I think it's a design issue that they do cycle a little
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline t2sfd

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
Based on the info in the service manual, the grips should only cycle when your speed drops below 2 mph (3 km/h) and stays in this cycle until you get over 10 mph (15 km/h).

The timer is 2 min. ON and 4 min. OFF during this period, which is controlled by the DFI ECU. From what I can see by looking at the schematic, there's no other temperature control other than the Temperature Adjustment Dial. Since there's no thermostat shown and there's no feedback (that I can see) from the grips to the adjustment dial, the dial is basically a set and forget and should allow a constant amount of heat per setting.

I'm not real sure why the grips would change temperature other than the speed dropping below the MPH setpoint or if you remove your hand and the cold air reduces the temp of the grip.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
No problems on my 2010 with the heated grips. They definitely don't cycle on/off.

It's a warranty issue; take it to the dealer.

Offline Restless

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:55:28 AM »
No problems on my 2010 with the heated grips. They definitely don't cycle on/off.

It's a warranty issue; take it to the dealer.

+1 On my 2010 the grips get down right HOT if set at the highest setting  :yikes:  and I live in WI where I had plently of opportunity to use them this past winter/spring season.  I'd probably look at warranty work if I thought it wasn't working right...and yes they do cycle on & off like the previous poster mentioned.  Have you tried them at the highest setting and is there still an issue??

Don't know what to tell you 'bout the buzzing sounds except to try tightening things in the area or possibly adding foam or something in the place you think the noise is coming from.  Mine is pretty solid and quiet but then again I'm usually wearing either ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones.  Turn up the music and ride.  ;D  I love this bike more everyday!!
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:25:45 AM »
My '10 grips are scorching, even through the gloves and they maintain the heat level. might want to talk with your friendly warranty man.

Edit:  may I ask where you live to be complaining about heat this time of year, thanks =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bob

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:38:40 AM »
My '10 grips are scorching, even through the gloves and they maintain the heat level. might want to talk with your friendly warranty man.

Edit:  may I ask where you live to be complaining about heat this time of year, thanks =)

They should be. You live in like Miami or something!!!! It like always 85 to 100 down there!!! Come to think of it, I just looked and it's 85 now. And it's only 8:30 in the morning!  ;D

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:50:06 AM »
i have the buzzing and i beleive that is "normal operation" and the grips mine stay hot all the time.  and they cycle off under 2mph to save battery voltage. at least thats what the owners book says.

Flathead

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »
Ditto, my '10 grips work just great, never had 'em above the second tick.

Offline Buddy769

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
A big thanks to all, the only reason I hade the grips on this time of year was, it poured rain for over 3 hours, in a very, very big riding group on Saturday, down the 401, from Trenton Ontario to Oshawa, Ontario Canada, to owner all our troops who have died, over in Afghanistan. They have renamed our 401 Hwy to the HWY of HERO. There where some 4000 bikes out to show support for our fallen troops & there families. As for the buzzing, I can't remember if the bike made the sound before I put it away for the winter. The only different is I added some driving lights to where the reflectors are mounted to the callipers, and throttlemeister. Once again thanks for the info, at my next service I will get the dealer to look into it.
Craig (Buddy769)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
Ditto, my '10 grips work just great, never had 'em above the second tick.

I've had mine on the WFO setting on some 40-degree days. But usually need to turn it down a notch or two after a few miles. Hell, don't hardly need gloves.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
My 2010 heated grips are really hot. I was riding in temperatures of 23 degrees and I had the heat on high and the palms of my hands were too hot...but my knuckles were cold, so I didn't turn the heat down. The heater has never cycled. I don't get a buzzing from the fairing, but I do get a whistle if it is in the full down position. Take it to a dealer...good luck
I've Never Had A Better Day