Author Topic: Power options for cell phone?  (Read 11977 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Power options for cell phone?
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »
I know there are a few out there such as Powerlet and 3BR Powersports to get a USB connector that you can place anywhere. I was wondering what people on here do. Just use a cigarette lighter adapter to your cell phone or do you put in a USB connector outlet?

I am going on a long ride in a few weeks and I typically turn off the "radio" function on the phone so it doesn't search for a cell signal or data, but I was thinking of leaving it on this year so I can use the GPS functionality as well as listening to the music through the Sena. Doing that drains the battery when the phone is searching for a signal all day.

I was thinking of leaving my phone in a tank bag or in the storage compartment and not use a tank bag. What do you think?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Broz

Re: Power options for cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »
I use Ram X mount and use the accessories outlet with a USB adapter. Also allows me to make videos while I'm riding on a good road.   I also stream music to the Sena.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline clogan

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
I've got a USB connected to front aux power in the glove box on my 2010. Keep the phone in there when it needs recharging.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
I think the center 'glove box' on the 08/09s might be a little warmish for your phone.

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »
I'm not really up on my phone'ism's to know what exactly you mean by turning off the radio.
 However, GPS on phones and especially GPS on AT&T iphones, I do know about and maybe this will transfer to your application.
Both of these eliminate signal searching and extend battery life.
Settings>Airplane Mode to ON, GPS is disabled as well as the rest of the data/cell signal.
General> Cellular, set of OFF stops the searching for cellular signal and data.

GPS in a cell phone is a separate animal from the cellular / data, in that GPS does not need a cell signal to function on a cell phone. Shut of Cellular and GPS will still function.

HOWEVER - the map must be previously downloaded to your phone in order for the GPS to show roads, routes, etc... If you do not have the map/route downloaded all you will see on your screen is an arrow pointing and no roads.
Just this weekend on the way through portions of AL, GA, NC and TN, no cell service in a lot of areas, but no problem with the downloaded maps.

Running MotionX GPS and MotionX Drive on my phone, MotionX GPS I've used in 4 countries with good results.

For power I'm using the stock power outlet and added an always ON outlet, with the normal phone cigarette charger from some convenience store, 30K miles and some heavy downpours no issues.

Good luck with your trip, little GPS prep work and it's no sweat.

Offline CIG4R

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:01:31 PM »
I've got a USB connected to front aux power in the glove box on my 2010. Keep the phone in there when it needs recharging.

My 2011 makes toast out of anything I put in the glove box.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
I think the center 'glove box' on the 08/09s might be a little warmish for your phone.
Probably true. I know that stuff that I put in my tankbag also get really warm.

I'm not really up on my phone'ism's to know what exactly you mean by turning off the radio.
 However, GPS on phones and especially GPS on AT&T iphones, I do know about and maybe this will transfer to your application.
Both of these eliminate signal searching and extend battery life.
Settings>Airplane Mode to ON, GPS is disabled as well as the rest of the data/cell signal.
General> Cellular, set of OFF stops the searching for cellular signal and data.

GPS in a cell phone is a separate animal from the cellular / data, in that GPS does not need a cell signal to function on a cell phone. Shut of Cellular and GPS will still function.

HOWEVER - the map must be previously downloaded to your phone in order for the GPS to show roads, routes, etc... If you do not have the map/route downloaded all you will see on your screen is an arrow pointing and no roads.
Just this weekend on the way through portions of AL, GA, NC and TN, no cell service in a lot of areas, but no problem with the downloaded maps.

Running MotionX GPS and MotionX Drive on my phone, MotionX GPS I've used in 4 countries with good results.

I am on a Droid and Airplane mode is good, but turning off the "Radio" is better.  I will look into those GPS programs as currently I only have Google Maps and they don't allow you to download the maps in advance or load a GPX file.

I use Ram X mount and use the accessories outlet with a USB adapter. Also allows me to make videos while I'm riding on a good road.   I also stream music to the Sena.

What USB adapter do you use? I have seen some really small ones and some larger ones (like the Powerlet version that probably does a better job of supplying clean power).
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
I've managed to kill two cigarette plug- type chagers for my cell phone using them on the bike.  I *think* it is because I had them plugged in when I started the bike.  I wouldn't think it was from beig plugged in all day?  Anyway, I'm going to try again by plugging the new charger in AFTER the bike is running.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:25:43 PM »
I also seem to remember people talking about the cigarette lighter adapters being loose on the 2008-2009 models? Anyone remember talk on the old forum about that?
Scott

Offline Bigcat

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
I have only recently started to have an issue with chargers working their way lose from the socket on my 09. I used a small piece of velcro on the inside of the the socket and now have a nice firm consistent connection.
09 C-14 abs
98 CBR1100XX

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »
Thanks Bigcat.
Scott

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »

Kept mine in there all the time, never had an issue and never seemed to get very warm.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »

Kept mine in there all the time, never had an issue and never seemed to get very warm.

You're lucky.  If I leave my phone in my glovebox for more than 15 minutes or so, then the phone disconnects from the cell tower and I get this screen:

And lets please avoid the ignorant Apple jokes.  I've seen Android phones overheat, as well.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
You're lucky.  If I leave my phone in my glovebox for more than 15 minutes or so, then the phone disconnects from the cell tower and I get this screen:

And lets please avoid the ignorant Apple jokes.  I've seen Android phones overheat, as well.

True enough.
Scott

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
Had it with all the half-*ss  USB solutions and all the chatter I heard.  Ordered a weatherproof marine grade USB outlet, and put my sport tourer under the knife 

Under the friggin knife my C14 went

Ok, we all know how to wire and soldier so let's skip all that and right to the finished product

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 03:57:18 PM »
Had it with all the half-*ss  USB solutions and all the chatter I heard.  Ordered a weatherproof marine grade USB outlet, and put my sport tourer under the knife 

Under the friggin knife my C14 went

Ok, we all know how to wire and soldier so let's skip all that and right to the finished product

May I please add my KLR already hs the same USB rig!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
Scott

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »

Not sure how well this will work with i devices.  It works fine on normal items but will not charge a 4th gen ipod touch.  One more reason to dump all Apple sh!t.

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
Powerlet just came out with this…

http://www.cyclenutz.com/Powerlet-to-Dual-USB-PAC-069_p_951.html

or this is what I use to charge up things in my tankbag since it's powered…

http://www.powerlet.com/product/apple-3g-3gs-4g-4gs-itouch-short-powerlet-charging-cable/422