Author Topic: Superficial scratch removal  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
Superficial scratch removal
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »
Does anyone have a trick to remove the superficial scratches you get from general use? My magnetic tank bag  (Now thrown away)  scratched my tank, and I also have the areas where my riding pants have scratched the plastics as well. I tried plexus, but that didnt work.

Offline PH14

Re: Superficial scratch removal
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
Does anyone have a trick to remove the superficial scratches you get from general use? My magnetic tank bag  (Now thrown away)  scratched my tank, and I also have the areas where my riding pants have scratched the plastics as well. I tried plexus, but that didnt work.

Most I have removed came out nicely with a general paste wax. You can use polishing compound first then the wax if necessary. My First Gear magnetic tank back hasn't done anything to my tank, and I am notoriously bad about dragging it across the tank while removing it. Of course I would have to wash my bike to really get a good look at it.

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
Quixx works well. Most auto parts stores carry it, as does Walmart.

http://www.quixx-usa.com/

2010 C14 ABS

Offline TRBN

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
How about fixing some superficial scratching on the OEM windscreen?

Aaron

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
Multiple cleanings with Plexus hid superficial scratches on my windshield.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
How about fixing some superficial scratching on the OEM windscreen?

Aaron
This works fairly well.
http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover/dp/B000J41VDM

Offline speed545

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 03:28:06 AM »

pics would help but at some points, you ll need some mechanical help to cure it.

with a good polisher, appropriate pads and polish, you ll get rid of the clear scratches.

I m using a idiot proof proctor cable dual action polisher, some Lakewood pads and menzerna products. 30 minutes, all gone. then a seal the all thing with a sealant.

More serious than fine scratches, you ll need a more performant polisher like a flex machine.

good luck

edit: be carefull, the clear coat on those things is really thin

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
pics would help but at some points, you ll need some mechanical help to cure it.

Just went out to the garage and snapped a few. They are not even worth posting because of lighting.

I am really starting to wonder if I shouldn't just repaint the bike to color I like anyway, or just repaint the bike and put a good honest clear coat on it.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
Just went out to the garage and snapped a few. They are not even worth posting because of lighting.

I am really starting to wonder if I shouldn't just repaint the bike to color I like anyway, or just repaint the bike and put a good honest clear coat on it.

Honestly, just hop on the bike and ride it. Stop obsessing over superficial CC scratches on the finish. Regardless of the protection, you're bound to get superficial scratches and damage simply by riding it. These bikes are made for ridding, not art. If you want art or something you can obsess over, get a nice project bike that can be customized and polished into a masterpiece. :)

With that said, the best polish I've found is 3M Perfect-it. It comes in 3 stages. I primarily use stage 2 (machine) with some 3M swirl mark remover and hand glaze.

jirod

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
+1 to riding it