Author Topic: newb 2011 c14 lower cowling replacement  (Read 2243 times)

Offline demonboy

newb 2011 c14 lower cowling replacement
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »
I just bought her. decent price but seems maybe the bike was either laid over or hit something on the right side lower cowling...question would be can it be removed and replaced easily?  I will call y
The localdealer and get a priceona new one but can replace myself with a little direction..... new to this board also belong to the zrxoa

Any help appreciated thanks
Carlos

Offline Conrad

Re: newb 2011 c14 lower cowling replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:54:50 AM »
Yes, it's easily removed and replaced. The dealer price may shock you though. Check out some online stores like Ron Ayers. http://www.ronayers.com/
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jonathan

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:11:18 AM »
You should also check ebay.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:48:28 AM »
Check out Fred Harmon's maintenance video's.  I just replaced three panels on my bike and the tips and how these panels fit together were invaluable in knowing what to expect.      www.angelridevideos.com
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »
Obtaining the panels and cost is one thing but replacing them is easy peazy. It's just keeping tack of the many types and locations of the fasteners. And it can be easy to break the plastic push lock fasteners. Gently push in the center until it pops and they come right out. When reinserting them make sure the lock pin is out about 1/8 inch and all the tabs are pushed together when inserting into the hole.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
Obtaining the panels and cost is one thing but replacing them is easy peazy. It's just keeping tack of the many types and locations of the fasteners. And it can be easy to break the plastic push lock fasteners. Gently push in the center until it pops and they come right out. When reinserting them make sure the lock pin is out about 1/8 inch and all the tabs are pushed together when inserting into the hole.

+1  The first few times that I removed the plastic I had a large piece of cardboard and some masking tape. I laid everything out on the cardboard and used a marker to remind me what went where and which fastener to use.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »
I just bought her. decent price but seems maybe the bike was either laid over or hit something on the right side lower cowling...

Welcome!
Add your bike year to your signature line and/or avatar/profile info.

Since you will soon discover how expensive it is to replace such a panel, you will want to next search the forum for "Canyon Cages" and/or "Top Blocks"  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »
I just bought her. decent price but seems maybe the bike was either laid over or hit something on the right side lower cowling...question would be can it be removed and replaced easily?  I will call y
The localdealer and get a priceona new one but can replace myself with a little direction..... new to this board also belong to the zrxoa

Any help appreciated thanks
Carlos

Don't replace, do this...  8) :thumbs:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14535.0

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  The panels don't come with any of the extra bits like well nuts and heat shielding.  In fact it's just the bare painted ABS so anything on the panel you are replacing that you can take off and reuse will save you some money.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.