Author Topic: I got offered a C10 in trade  (Read 3171 times)

Offline SteveJH

I got offered a C10 in trade
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
I was offered a 93 C10 in trade for an old one ton truck of mine. I drove over and rode it today but I'm really not sure what to think of it.

It's got 50k miles. It has some cosmetic issues which I don't mind. It seems to run alright with plenty of power.
The current owner says he rebuilt the carbs and they do look clean. I didn't know to ask if he installed the overflow pipes (found out about that in my research after checking the bike out).

But it makes a 'clacking' sound which seems to be coming from the right side of the engine. It doesn't sound awful, but it is loud - almost like it badly needs a valve adjustment. The sound is the only thing I'm not comfortable about on it.
I had a Honda 750, only motorcycle I've owned and it didn't make a racket like this one does.

I realize this is a big shot in the dark and I'm just offering vague typed out descriptions here. From the info I've found, valve train noise tends to come from the left side of the engine. What might cause this sort of sound from the right side, upper area of the engine?

I'm trying to decide if I should invest in having a professional mechanic to have a look at it, or to just say 'no thanks' on the trade.

enim57

Re: I got offered a C10 in trade
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
Be sure the clacking is not from the left side, maybe use a screwdriver as a stethiscope. If it's from the left it will most probably be the cam chain (typical noise for this) as the tensioners are problematic but an easy fix.

Regards, Russell

Offline Irish GTR

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
This is more than likely the alternator chain/tensioner, under right engine cover..the tensioner goes bad and makes that clacking sound..an easy job to replace..do a search, lots of info out there on this. If you do replace it make sure you dont block the small oil delivery pipe on the outer edge of the cover..this spray lubricates the tensioner/ chain .....
Dan

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive stethoscope and it works great.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline SteveJH

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks for your advice, kind sirs.
I've decided to have a motorcycle shop take a look at it for me since I don't really know that much about bikes. they'll do a basic inspection (visual inspection, listen to it, take it for a test ride) for $25. I have basic mechanic skills and can probably manage the easy fixes on it, but I don't want to get myself into something over my head.
The alternator chain fix sounds like something I can do myself.
I'm gonna talk to the guy offering it to me and see if he will be willing to let me pull the plugs and measure the rods to make sure they are not bent first.
He mentioned to me that when he bought it the entire engine block was flooded with gas...So I want to be sure it didn't suffer the 'hydro lock' problem these bikes appear to be prone to.
If everything checks out on it, I think one of the first things I'll do is install some aftermarket overflow tubes.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »
Save your self a bunch of time and aggravation and maybe money, All things carburetion:

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

Plus other fun performance stuff that works.

Good on ya for the hydro test. Absolutely mandatory for buying a Conc unless it is ridiculously cheap, say $200.

You've probably done enough reading to know that 50,000 miles is just broken in, mine just turned 184k miles on my 1587 mile 31 hour ride to MN. Head has never been off of it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:36 AM »

Agree, 50K is nuthin'. Heck, I bought mine with 90K, and have over 121K on it now and it runs great.

Steve, was that 31 straight hours??
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
Agree, 50K is nuthin'. Heck, I bought mine with 90K, and have over 121K on it now and it runs great.

Steve, was that 31 straight hours??
Forgot to figure in the time change, so make that 32 hours. About 5.5 hours in a motel room at Manchester, TN. About 26.5 hours including breaks exclusive of motel time. 59.89 mph avg. including breaks, not including motel break.

I was staying after it pretty strong.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)