Full Face
43 (55.8%)
Three Quarter (aka open)
1 (1.3%)
Pudding Bowl
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: August 22, 2013, 12:53:35 PM

Author Topic: Helmet Type  (Read 11837 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: Helmet Type
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 08:13:32 PM »
I don't get it. I was on a COG ride and a wife of one of the riders missed a turn and went to an embankment. Her modular was not open, it was secure and locked. Her face hit the hill and the chin bar busted right off. Her face was not in good shape. She had to be taken out by life flight.

Ok, that's scary. I have a Shoei Neotec which I love.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 08:21:27 PM »
I don't recall he brand, maybe someone else does, but it was a major brand.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
Called a faceplant for a reason, my luck would have me with the modular flipped up during a wreck. So.......nothing but a full face for me, if I get hot I will flip it up and wear some glasses.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
You're not suppose to ride with it flipped up...

You'd also have problems if you put the helmet on backwards...

Don't blame the helmet for misuse by the rider...

Jeff

I have seen "many" riding with it up, part of the reason for the design.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jake Mountain

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 04:20:16 AM »
I will only wear a DOT and Snell 2010 helmet so that leaves out all but the most expensive modular helmets. I recently bought an Arai Signet Q to go with my new to me 2011 C14 and I could not be happier with both purchases.
01 Kawasaki KLR 650
03 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
11 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 04:49:02 AM »
Flip up for me. It's too hot in houston in the summer not to be able to get some extra air at stop lights. Heck I've even been known to remove the visor during the summer to help cool my head. Of course I always ride with prescription riding/safety glasses so the visor almost seems redundant.  :o

If you ever took a hit from a three pound june bug (like we have around here) @ 80mph on your visor you'd be VERY thankful that it wasn't your face.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 05:39:26 AM »
If you ever took a hit from a three pound june bug (like we have around here) @ 80mph on your visor you'd be VERY thankful that it wasn't your face.

Insects indeed.  And I have had a rock hit my visor, it was with enough force to actually turn my head some.  I can't imagine what that would be like in a "partial" helmet or without a visor.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 05:41:32 AM »
I will only wear a DOT and Snell 2010 helmet so that leaves out all but the most expensive modular helmets.

Until just THIS YEAR, Snell would not certify ANY modular helmet.  And there is really only one, the LS2  FF394 (since the other is in small ONLY).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »
Nolan N90 Helmet Review at RevZilla.com

I like the Nolan N90.  I have a Scorpion 1000 helmet and while I do like it's features (fog free shields, sunvisor), I hate the noise level and the poor fitting visor.  Leaks rain something awful.  I don't think I would wear it flipped up but I can see where that could come in handy at times, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »
Why do they do that?

Off road helmets are designed to accommodate full goggles with the strap over the outside of the helmet. They also have better venting because in theory they don't need to be as aerodynamic and accommodate lower speeds but more physical effort. The new duel sport designs such as the Shoei Hornet and the Arai XD4 with face shields seem to offer the best of both. I works good on my Suzuki DR650 even on the road at 75 mph without a windshield. But I think it would get uncomfortable at higher speeds. But with the big CB windshield on my C14 it works well at any speed.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
I don't get it. I was on a COG ride and a wife of one of the riders missed a turn and went to an embankment. Her modular was not open, it was secure and locked. Her face hit the hill and the chin bar busted right off. Her face was not in good shape. She had to be taken out by life flight.

Here's the story.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,26469.msg103366.html#msg103366
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
I have a few friends who have gone off-road w/ various flip-ups unintentionally and not have any problems... one w/ his ST1300 wearing a Nolan N102... right into a tree.  The ST was wrapped around the tree... a broken rib, messed up shoulder... and head & helmet survived.

I know of a friend who wore a full face who did not survive.

You can have a cheap flip-up or full face fail... in helmets, sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »
I have a few friends who have gone off-road w/ various flip-ups unintentionally and not have any problems...

Of course, all of this is just anecdotal.   One can fall 100 times, even be killed, and yet not fall on the chin of the helmet.  Or the first fall ever could be on the face, chin, and fail.

It is generally accepted fact that a good modular is not going to be as strong or as safe as a good full faced.   There are better ones and cheaper ones, and it might be possible that a high quality modular is as front-impact/chin-impact "safe" as a cheap full face... maybe even better.   Everything is relative.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

Hate to hear of this.

Before we generalize all modulars...........was  it a cheap modular such as HJC?

I use the only DOT approved modular, the Schuberth C3 PRO and suspect the physcal helmet body will break before the latch would give
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
Hey Hey watch what you say about those cheep HJC's >:(
I have two SY-MAX III's and the worst thing about them is the removable inside sections that don't stay snapped the way they should after a few cleanings , In Florida I sweat a LOT so I clean them alot and they **** me off cause they come loose after a while, good air flow on hot days.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
Hate to hear of this.

Before we generalize all modulars...........was  it a cheap modular such as HJC?

:goodpost:

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
Hate to hear of this.

I use the only DOT approved modular, the Schuberth C3 PRO and suspect the physcal helmet body will break before the latch would give

not defending HJC quality i think they are crap too, but they are ALL DOT approved, so im trying to find relevance in your comment

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 10:53:16 PM »
I use the only DOT approved modular,

All legal helmets you can buy in the USA are DOT approved.   DOT certification means just about nothing.

And you can't have meant ECE- since several modulars have that approval.  And only one modular has Snell (and it is not the one you listed).

" DOT sets minimum standards that all helmets sold for motorcycling on public streets must meet. The standard is Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 (FMVSS 218) and is known commonly as the DOT helmet standard.   DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much."

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »
That fact we ride has inherent risks... we try and reduce the risk of us getting hurt, or even death, by the gear we wear... some of us anyway.  ;D  We as individuals, choose at what levels we accept that risk by the gear we purchase.

As far as helmets, some feel a certain flip up is fine, like myself...  some would never be caught in a polyester based jacket, preferring kevlar, like myself.  :rotflmao:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 02:01:10 AM »
HJC is making some very nice helmets.  I recently replaced my Arai Signet with a HJC RPHA full face and love it. They make low end helmets but so do others like Scorpion and Bell