Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66410 times)

Offline connie14boy

Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
After spending the last 8 weekends in the Smokies and Blue Ridge mountains, I can say with confidence that my "09 C14 has never handled or behaved better than on PR4's (non-GT). I was able to stay with a group of AGATT bikers on a twisty 32 mile route from Dahlonega up thru Suches and Morganton, Ga. Not a small mean feat for a 62 yr.old. Upon stopping for a drink the guys, 30 years younger than I, looked really surprised at the white hair and had a lotta praise for big ass "Black Bear".

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
harder to mount (with increased risk of rim gouges)

I just mounted a rear PR4 GT using a No-Mar machine last weekend. I didn't use the nomar bar, just big spoons. Absolutely no problem what so ever. Took about 60 seconds. The lower bede went on just pushing it over the rim, then the top getting it started, putting on the yellow thingy and spooning it over the rim. Easy peezy. It was 95 degrees and I put the tire out in the sun while removing the wheel and the worn out tire so it was hot to the touch.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2015, 02:24:14 PM »
After spending the last 8 weekends in the Smokies and Blue Ridge mountains, I can say with confidence that my "09 C14 has never handled or behaved better than on PR4's (non-GT). I was able to stay with a group of AGATT bikers on a twisty 32 mile route from Dahlonega up thru Suches and Morganton, Ga. Not a small mean feat for a 62 yr.old. Upon stopping for a drink the guys, 30 years younger than I, looked really surprised at the white hair and had a lotta praise for big ass "Black Bear".

Well done!!
                    Old Guys Rule!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
Well done!!
                    Old Guys Rule!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks for the praise, but 62 ain't so ancient anymore- 

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
I just got a new front tire (rear tire has another 3k or so left on it) and went with the Bridgestone T-30 (same as what is on the back). Only rode it home, so no real feedback yet.

It always amazes me how much it costs to get installed when you bring in the whole bike (instead of just the wheel). Tire was $109 and the total bill was $205. $75 for labor, then there is tax, recycle fee and valve stem. I could have taken the wheel off on my own, I have done it before, but have not had the time to do so.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

sailor_chic

« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »
Valve stem? What happened to your TPMS.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »

X2.  I bet that is one of the "built in" charges that everyone pays- even if the stem is not changed.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »

What she said...!  :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
See, I never even thought of that. They know there is TPMS (it was done at a dealer and one of the service writers asked if they were working fine). I will have to check and see how much it was and ask them about it.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
$3 charge for valve stem.

So, there is no valve stem because of TPMS? It's build in and does not get changed out? I don't know much about valve stems personally, that's why I am asking.
Scott

sailor_chic

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »
That's correct. The TPMS is the sensor that send a signal to give your pressure readout on your dash display. So the valve stem charge is wrong.

jirod

« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »
$3 charge for valve stem.

So, there is no valve stem because of TPMS? It's build in and does not get changed out? I don't know much about valve stems personally, that's why I am asking.
You definitely can change the valve stems on this bike with the TPMS sensors.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »
I thought the sensor screwed on to the valve stem inside the tire.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
It does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »
You can remove the sensors and put in a standard valve stem or use the oem stem with the sensors.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
tire threads ----> 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
tire VALVE STEM threads ----> 
fify  :)

jirod

« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
You can remove the sensors and put in a standard valve stem or use the oem stem with the sensors.
Right now I have a Murph's right angle on the front an a shorty from Cycle Gear on the rear, both aftermarket valve stems. Sensors are operating and tires hold air.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »
I forgot about Murph's and wasn't aware of any others that would work. Do you by chance have a link to the shorty?

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #179 on: September 06, 2015, 04:46:59 AM »
  Final post on my Continental Road Attack 2.   I really like the way the tire worked.  I used a 55 series I will end up going to another 55 series. The rear tire has 5100 miles on it. I ride this bike to work daily. Central Illinois is not known for curvy roads for sure. It has ate the center out of the tire. I will probably swap it out this weekend. Front tire still 1/2 or a little better.  I got a little better milage on last set of PR2's. But not enough to offset cost. Looking around for something else.  I need long mileage on set of tires. But don't want it to slip and slide on wet road.  My search continues.