Author Topic: 33 mpg highway @ 85??? (55 swap)  (Read 10177 times)

Offline texrider

Re: 33 mpg highway @ 85??? (55 swap)
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »
Running a 55 on my '09 gave a slight bump in ACTUAL mileage, but my engine is bone stock with secondary flies intact. Normal for me is 38-41 mpg.
I also pay zero attention to instant or average mpg, since I only ever watch the tire pressure screen on the display.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »
Are you sure about that? I thought I heard a rumor that nitrogen reacts badly with the TPS's on some motorcycles....? Or did I just start that rumor? Does nitrogen work OK in car tires on a motorcycle.

Now before anyone gets his / her knickers in a twist, nitrogen and the bike are perfectly compatible. I was merely kidding.... seriously. Well, not seriously kidding but kidding seriously.

Brian

<snip>

4) Inflating with Nitrogen will not affect performance, wear, or mileage.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Cuda

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
Here we go AGAIN

"A member of the Dodge Challenger owners' forum was buying a new car from a dealer and noticed green valve-stem caps on all four tires. The salesman told him that the tires had been filled with nitrogen, which would keep the tire pressure and temperature more consistent and that it would prevent tire rot from the inside out. It wasn't a free add-on, though. The "nitrogen upgrade" was a $69 item on the supplemental window sticker. Another forum member later posted that his dealer was charging $179 for this same "upgrade."

Some dealerships and tire stores claim that filling your tires with nitrogen will save you money on gas while offering better performance than air. But a closer look reveals that nitrogen has few benefits and much higher costs. For starters, a typical nitrogen fill-up will cost you about $6 per tire.

Why Nitrogen?
The Get Nitrogen Institute Web site says that with nitrogen tire inflation, drivers will note improvements in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life. All this is achieved through better tire-pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler-running tire temperatures, the institute says.

This sounds great in theory but let's take a closer look at each of those claims.

•Better tire-pressure retention: Over time, a tire will gradually lose pressure. Changes in temperature will accelerate this. The general rule of thumb is a loss of 1 psi for every 10-degree rise or fall in temperature. The institute says that nitrogen has a more stable pressure, since it has larger molecules than oxygen that are less likely to seep through the permeable tire walls.

In 2006, Consumer Reports conducted a year-long study to determine how much air loss was experienced in tires filled with nitrogen versus those filled with air. The results showed that nitrogen did reduce pressure loss over time, but it was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. Among 31 pairs of tires, the average loss of air-filled tires was 3.5 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial setting. Nitrogen won the test, but not by a significant margin.
•Improved fuel economy: The EPA says that under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. The theory is that since nitrogen loses pressure at a slower rate than air, you are more likely to be at the correct psi and therefore get better fuel economy.

If you are proactive and check your tire pressure at least once a month, you can offset this difference with free air, and you won't need expensive nitrogen. We think this invalidates the "better fuel economy with nitrogen" argument.

For many people, however, this kind of maintenance is easier said than done. Most people either forget to regularly check and top off their tires, or never learned how to do it in the first place. Even Edmunds employees (typically a pretty car-savvy group) were under-inflating or over-inflating their tires, according to a tire-pressure study we conducted a few years ago.

And though tire-pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) now come standard on cars, a 2009 National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) study found that only 57 percent of vehicles with TPMS had the correct tire pressure. That's because most systems are only meant to signal that a tire has very low pressure, not to show that the pressure is optimal.
•Cooler running temperatures: When air is pressurized, the humidity in it condenses to a liquid and collects in the air storage tank you use at the local gas station. When you add compressed air to the tire, the water comes along for the ride. As the tire heats up during driving, that water changes to a gas, which then expands, increasing tire pressure. Because nitrogen is dry, there is no water in the tire to contribute to pressure fluctuations.

But this fluctuation in temperature isn't as significant as you might think. A 2008 ExxonMobil study plotted the changes in temperature over the course of various inflation pressures. The lines on the graph were virtually on top of each other. In other words, the change in temperature when using nitrogen was negligible.
•Prevent wheel rot: Nitrogen proponents will also point out that water in a tire can lead to wheel rot. A tire engineer who anonymously maintains Barry's Tire Tech, a blog on a number of tire issues, says this isn't really a problem with modern cars.

"Alloy wheels don't really have a problem with water inside the tire," the engineer writes in a post on nitrogen inflation. "They are coated to keep aluminum from forming aluminum oxide, which forms a crust, which isn't very attractive. But even then, this crust protects the aluminum from further corrosion from the water."

Where wheels have problems is when the aluminum alloy contacts steel, such as the steel spring clip used on wheel weights. It's a particular issue when salt is present, the engineer writes. "But this problem is totally independent of the inflation gas," he says. "Steel wheels only have a problem if the paint is damaged."

Cost and Convenience
Let's say a person bought a set of tires at Costco, a place that uses nitrogen to fill all the tires they sell. If he needs to top off the tires with more nitrogen, he won't be able to go to just any gas station. He can use regular air if there is nothing else available, but that would dilute the nitrogen in the tires. He'll have to go back to Costco and wait until the tire technicians can attend to the car. On a busy day, he could be there awhile.

Nitrogen is free at Costco and at some car dealerships we called, but these are rare cases. We called a number of tire shops that carry nitrogen and found that the prices for a nitrogen fill ranged from $5-$7 per tire. Assuming our consumer was diligent about checking his tires monthly, he could potentially spend about $84 a year on nitrogen alone per tire. Compare that to the most gas stations, where air is free or a 75-cent fill-up for all four tires at the most.

Finding tire shops with nitrogen could be an issue, too. We called a number of large chains, including America's Tire Co., Discount Tire and Walmart. None carried nitrogen.

Is Nitrogen Worth It?
The air we breathe is made up of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and a few other elements. To get the desired benefits for tires, nitrogen needs to be at least 93 percent pure, according to nitrogen service equipment providers quoted on Tirerack.com. So we're basically talking about adding an extra 15 percent of nitrogen and getting rid of as much oxygen as possible.

Based on cost, convenience and actual performance benefit, we don't think nitrogen is worth it. A much better use of your money would be to buy a good tire-pressure gauge and check your tires frequently. This is a good idea even if you have a tire-pressure monitoring system in your vehicle. The warning lights aren't required to come on until you have less than 25 percent of the recommended tire pressure. Having the correct tire pressure will get you many of the benefits of using nitrogen and will ensure that your tires last longer."

Did you see that air is already 78% nitrogen so you are getting 15% more for X $$ so  go buy a tire gauge  fill up your tires to ---PROPER-- pressure and get some sleep :grouphug:
Salemen will sell you ... what you don't need to make a $.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline clogan

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »
I finally got over watching MPG. I don't even pay attention any more. It was only frustratng anyhow.

These days, I resign myself to the fact that, anytime I go for a ride, it's gonna prolly take 2 fill ups to get me home. I don't wear my glasses at the gas pump, so I don't even know how much it costs, LOL! I am a lot happier now that MPG doesn't clutter up my subconscious! Just ride, baby!
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »
I probably spend more time over 85 than anyone here. I run with a 55L trunk and screen all the way down unless it's raining or freezing. Both bikes a 2010 and 2011 always in ECO mode. 42 psi cold in the 50 series tire. The 2010 is sitting at 43 mpg and the and the 2011 is at 45 mpg. I don't change my speeds much. I run a nice steady throttle and I get my best mpg. locked in at 95 mph. I find it hard to believe myself, but this is the first year I tried this method and it keeps staying higher and higher.
I love my VW TDI Passat and that stays around 48-50 mpg when I drive and 40-42 mpg for the wife.
Joel from Maine.

Offline clogan

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »
Don't put too much stock in the MPG shown on the screen...for my bike at least, actual MPG computed by dividing miles driven by volume to fill, is considerably less than indicated. Not picking on Kaw, because this is also true of my Ford F-150, my car, and the wife's Focus. In my experience, dash indicators of MPG are extremely optimistic....no matter the vehicle. My unproven theory is that this overstatement is due to an assumed quantity of energy contained in the fuel being less than actual energy content, due to presemce of ethanol.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
Don't put too much stock in the MPG shown on the screen...for my bike at least, actual MPG computed by dividing miles driven by volume to fill, is considerably less than indicated. Not picking on Kaw, because this is also true of my Ford F-150, my car, and the wife's Focus. In my experience, dash indicators of MPG are extremely optimistic....no matter the vehicle. My unproven theory is that this overstatement is due to an assumed quantity of energy contained in the fuel being less than actual energy content, due to presemce of ethanol.

No doubt that ethanol reduces mileage but I assumed the computer used fuel flow based on what the ECU is commanding of the injectors and the speed. I wouldn't be surprised if the optimism is deliberate. You always want your customers to feel good about your product.  ;)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »
My 2012 Chevy truck came with the nitrogen "option" that wasn't really optional. But for the $99 charge, I get lifetime refills at the stealership. The only problem is that their only nitrogen machine for doing it is down the street at their Hyundai dealership.

My truck, Malibu, and Connie all are "optimistic" on gas mileage. If you really want to know, do the calculation yourself.

My Malibu has one sensor that is chronically a couple of psi high, two that are pretty much spot on, and one that reads 3-5 psi low and causes my warning light to come on sometimes (not sure where that 25% low statement comes from, Cuda). That low reading sensor also gets me an email from OnStar telling me to check my tires.

And I need more data before I'll believe Scaffolder gets his best mileage at 95 mph. Defies the laws of physics, aerodynamics, etc. Are you sure you're not at 95 kph? That would make WAY more sense. (And ECO mode does nothing for you at those speeds.)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »
My computer and division are very close. I took a 270 mile trip to work and back. I top off every day. My first receipt is 5.002 gallons. Second one is 1.283. That comes to 42.959 mpg. if I'm doing it right. lol. It would be higher, but my last few days were going from Wells Maine to Keene N.H. The worst areas near me to ride fast. If anyone is from around here, they'll agree. When I go from Wells to Boston, I can and do really open it up. ECU is always lit up at any speed that you are not winding up the RPMs.
Like I said I always got about 37-39 mpg before I started doing the high speed steady throttle thing. I have racked up about 92,000 miles on three different C-14s. Two of them had the ECO mode switch and I always put it on. I also only use 93 octane gas.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
Car tire chat next please
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
Ran 2600 miles recently, on 41-42 psi, and average MPG was 43 running at California highway speed. Maybe a tad bit faster but no more than 85. I like the windscreen where I can hear my music in my helmet and remove the harsh sound of air. I also notice I get better mileage when the engine is hot, rather than cool. I have a 2009 with just at 14000.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
Did 1800 miles round trip down the Skyline Drive/BlueRidge Parkway to TN from NJ and Superslabbed it back and averaged 44.8 for the trip according to the screen. Interestingly mileage dropped when I crossed the Deleware river on the return trip...
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
My computer and division are very close. I took a 270 mile trip to work and back. I top off every day. My first receipt is 5.002 gallons. Second one is 1.283. That comes to 42.959 mpg. if I'm doing it right. lol. It would be higher, but my last few days were going from Wells Maine to Keene N.H. The worst areas near me to ride fast. If anyone is from around here, they'll agree. When I go from Wells to Boston, I can and do really open it up. ECU is always lit up at any speed that you are not winding up the RPMs.
Like I said I always got about 37-39 mpg before I started doing the high speed steady throttle thing. I have racked up about 92,000 miles on three different C-14s. Two of them had the ECO mode switch and I always put it on. I also only use 93 octane gas.

This is true. The computer will tell you when you're riding the most economical way at whatever speed you're at. Basically, it tells you that you are not going on and off throttle a lot.

That is different from the ECO mode where you flip the switch, which only does something to the fuel mapping (leaner) when you're below a certain speed, rpm, and throttle position. (It's explained in the owner's manual and in other threads on the forum.) All are parameters which you would not meet if you're running at those higher speeds.

EDIT:
ECO mode is active when:
1. RPM is less that 6,000
2. Throttle position is less than 30%
3. Speed is less than 80 mph. (My manual says 152 mph, but that's a misprint. The Kawi website says 80.)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
This is true. The computer will tell you when you're riding the most economical way at whatever speed you're at. Basically, it tells you that you are not going on and off throttle a lot.

That is different from the ECO mode where you flip the switch, which only does something to the fuel mapping (leaner) when you're below a certain speed, rpm, and throttle position. (It's explained in the owner's manual and in other threads on the forum.) All are parameters which you would not meet if you're running at those higher speeds.

EDIT:
ECO mode is active when:
1. RPM is less that 6,000
2. Throttle position is less than 30%
3. Speed is less than 80 mph. (My manual says 152 mph, but that's a misprint. The Kawi website says 80.)
I would spend less time in the manual and get your bike on the highway. Then put the eco mode on. Have the computer show current mpg. Hit 90mph or 100mph. Throw on a Cat O-ring. Both eco lights will be on and mpg will stay around 45mpg. Or even higher.
The Kawi website lies.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
You would go to jail around here driving that fast,
I'd like to keep my clean  class  a CDL  license.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Wyomingpat

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
Just got a brand new bike and staying within the break in advice, that still allows for 80mph+, I averaged 50mpg. Over the Snowys at10,000 feet. Some interstate and some canyon carving.
Brilliant!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
Just got a brand new bike and staying within the break in advice, that still allows for 80mph+, I averaged 50mpg. Over the Snowys at10,000 feet. Some interstate and some canyon carving.
Brilliant!

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Where are the "Snowys"?

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »
Who cares about mileage?  You bought a big fast heavy motorcycle that's made to go FAST.  It's like marrying Ms Universe and complaining she won't vacuum?  WTF, you're married to Ms Universe, why is there even a conversation about vacuuming?  IMO (and this will surely invoke howls of protest), if you're bragging about how good of mileage you're getting, you are in fact saying "Look how I am totally not using this motorcycle for its intended purpose". 

Cane that thing and forget mileage! Or sell it to someone who will actually open the throttle and visit redline once in a blue moon and start using this for commuting! [/soapbox]
Man, I gotta learn how to come out of my shell.

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
That's a nice car.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
Brilliant!

Welcome!  1,000,000 threads on MPG.  Mine averages 45 or something like that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc