Author Topic: Airhawk R  (Read 16408 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Airhawk R
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
 ;D ;D

Nah, I didn't make her take her shoes off or anything....

Brian

That wasn't her ishium and who do you think you are, TSA?..........
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »
How kind...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »
I maintain my gentlemanly behavior at all times. Mostly. And besides, feet ain't one of the attractive parts....

I sure do hope all of this is helping someone properly fit their butt to an Airhawk....

Brian

How kind...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
The problem with that method is- how do you know when you are just about to touch the seat? And if you do touch the seat, how do you know how much air to put back in to bring you back up to that magic 'almost' part?

In my opinion, that is one of the biggest problems with people not liking Airhawks- not having the right amount of air in them. Another problem with them is that they are not that durable IME although carrying a spare on long trips pretty much takes care of that problem. The first sign that your Airhawk has sprung a leak might be a horribly sore butt and while it is amusing, it ain't a lot of fun if you have much farther to ride.

By the way, I noticed the other day I am starting to wear through the nylon cover of my current Airhawk- this makes three covers since I've owned a C-14.

Brian

^ That is how Airhawk recommends you do it.

I use mine all the time with my Corbin.
(Bought the Corbin used, so it has already started breaking in to the PO's shape.)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
It's on the bike, glad i paid a little extra forthe r model it fits perfectly. Tomorrow will be miles and adjusting. Thanks for ask the details about airing it

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »
I think most people end up liking them. They do what they claim to do- they remove pressure points and distribute your weight across all the square inches behind you rather than a couple of pressure points.

I think Airhawks and HIDs deliver best what they promise. Not that other products do not, just that I think these two hit 100% without the 'but' that goes with so many other products.

My only suggestion would be to give it a bit of time to get used to it and learn how to set it up. I hated my first Airhawk and it was mostly because I overinflated it and it did not work well for me on the stock C-14 seat (too much fore / aft curvature). On a flatter, wider saddle they are the cat's whiskers I think.

One other thing- take it off the bike if it is going to rain if you are not wearing waterproof pants. The Airhawk itself is perfectly fine getting soaked but between the nylon webbing cover and the crevasses between the air pockets, they hold about 2 gallons of water and will not dry out in a single summer. At least throw a plastic bag over it to keep it from getting soaked. A wet Airhawk will soak your crevasses right through your pants for weeks at a time. :-(

Best of luck with it.

Brian

It's on the bike, glad i paid a little extra forthe r model it fits perfectly. Tomorrow will be miles and adjusting. Thanks for ask the details about airing it

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »
it did not work well for me on the stock C-14 seat (too much fore / aft curvature). On a flatter, wider saddle they are the cat's whiskers I think.

What seat do you have it on Brian? Corbin?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
Yeah, Corbin with Airhawks, front and rear. The Corbin / Airhawk combination fit like they were made for each other and the shape of the Corbin is ideal to support an Airhawk without much air in it at all.

Brian

What seat do you have it on Brian? Corbin?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »
Anyone using an Airhawk with a Russell seat?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »
I did with lousy results. But bear in mind that all Russell saddles are custom made so my experience may not mean anything regarding other Russell saddles.

The edges of the Russell projected out from under the Airhawk and so I ended up with a pressure point on my thighs. And beyond that, the Russell is MORE than high enough stock and adding a cushion was making the whole riding thing difficult regarding wind noise, forward lean, etc. I sit rather high in the saddle to begin with so that was a bad combo. for me.

And as expensive as a Corbin is, a Russell is even more. A custom twin Russell, in leather, with a pair of Airhawks on top starts to get into pretty expensive territory (remember you need a stock seat pan to build a Russell on)- like $1,200 and no guarantee it will all work.

The Corbin is my fourth saddle used both with and without an Airhawk: stock, stock ZX 14 saddle (the bike sure felt sportier), custom dual Russell and a stock Corbin. Lots o' money tied up in my Heine (and not the way they do it in prison either).

Saddle comfort is a real problem in the motorcycling world, and an even bigger problem in the long distance riding arena. A lot of people have and continue to spend a lot of money on this problem with mixed and, unfortunately, non- repeatable results. What works for one person / bike often will not work for another. Up to about 4 or 5 hours in the saddle and a decent seat, maybe a wool cushion and some pain reliever is pretty effective. After 12 or more hours in the saddle every single ache and pain that can happen will make itself known. A really poor saddle and an hour's ride can install enough pain in my that it hurts all day after I am done with the ride. That is why I never shrug off anyone else's saddle time- I have a friend who is working her way up in mileage now and has hit 300 miles in a day (not all in a row). She is pretty proud of herself and she should be- she has minimal changes done to her bike and is 'toughing it out'.

And one final though- in addition to the pure sitting situation, it is really quite affected by peg location, peg size, handlebar location and angle, windshield height and general wind movement around the rider. Change the saddle and change all those things! And showroom 'testing' is worthless; you just cannot tell how a bike will feel at the end of the day after a half- hour test.

Brian

Anyone using an Airhawk with a Russell seat?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
You got that right!  Thanks, Brian.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »
Stock seat.

I did 19 hours in the saddle yesterday as a result of this thing.  Combo of red dirt roads, slow twisty roads, and superslab.  I'd have done 24 hours but messed around and took Ronda to dinner in Dothan Al.

This AIRHAWK R is a "must have" for me going forward
.  Last time I did that kind of day I was sore as heel and hating it. I'm fine today

The crazy pics are here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=14647.0
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Sockmonkey

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 01:04:54 AM »
stevewfl, did you use that airhawk on a stock seat??

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
Me and the SO love our Airhawks. Much much much better than our Butt Buffers. Granted there is some sliding, but the pain on super long days is nearly gone.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
stevewfl, did you use that airhawk on a stock seat??

yes sir.  and my stock seat has >79,000 miles on it. Its about mush.

I was considering having the seat re-done by the gentleman in FL who does seats, but since the airhawk no reason.

Offline Spikey01

• Badgers? We don't need no steenking Badgers!
    • Michael Hamilton Web Design
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »
All riders need happy butts. Happy butts mean longer, more fun filled rides. But all butts be different. One man's happy butt is another man's hemorrhoid. I tried the Airhawk R. Butt be happy, but… Ride not be fun. Sort of like sitting on a rocking horse. Rock forward on braking – rock back on acceleration. Kept stopping and letting more and more air out. Made no difference. Sent it back and got a Seth Lamm seat. My butt now be happy.
Butt seriously folks…
Michael Hamilton

...and Bob's your uncle.

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
I have the corbin I recently bought and hope things will be better on my upcoming trip. I did buy an Airhawk R today though after reading that most people say they help quite a bit. Figure it won't hurt to have if the corbin does'nt fit the bill on my ride

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
I have a Suzuki gel on my Vstrom and it is not too terribly bad, although not quite wide enough. I may give Airhawk a try, allot cheaper than a new saddle.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
I have a Suzuki gel on my Vstrom and it is not too terribly bad, although not quite wide enough. I may give Airhawk a try, allot cheaper than a new saddle.

I'm amazed with mine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Just to reiterate, it takes far less air than many think.  If it is not working take more air out.  It will almost feel flat.