Author Topic: Airhawk R  (Read 16840 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Airhawk R
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:35:32 PM »
I hope the Airhawk R is everything folks tell me it is?

I just pulled the Amazon.com order trigger on one. Its meeting my C14 and I at my mom's in Columbia, SC Thursday  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Airhawk R
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:27:38 PM »
Ah, the old scrotum reliever- how could it be anything but great?

:-)

Seriously, Airhawk makes a great product. Other than the new one which is a low cost entry level product, I think they are all great. I am a happy customer for years now.

The low cost product is not as durable or as pliable as the neoprene versions. Not sure which product you have but all work to alleviate pressure points; the low cost version just won't last as long as the more expensive products and they are not quite as conformal to the human shape. To Airhawk's credit, these low cost products were introduced to bring in newcomers and not as a general competitor to the existing products.

Brian

I hope the Airhawk R is everything folks tell me it is?

I just pulled the Amazon.com order trigger on one. Its meeting my C14 and I at my mom's in Columbia, SC Thursday  :D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline udoggie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago, and have been really, really happy with it.  It's made a nice difference.

Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:20 PM »
How much did ya get it for Steve?

Brian,
What size is best for a Corbin on the Connie? How much height does this add to the seat in terms of sitting on the bike and reaching the ground at a stop?

Offline udoggie

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:54:04 PM »
I have the 14" one on my stock '12 C14 seat, and it fits pretty good.  It's not the current model -- I bought a 2009 one that was "used" but actually new in box for dirt cheap.

ZG, if you want to take a look sometime, let me know.

-Jeff
Aloha, OR.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:46:23 AM »
What size is best for a Corbin on the Connie? How much height does this add to the seat in terms of sitting on the bike and reaching the ground at a stop?

The Airhawk R only comes in one size and it fits nicely on the Corbin. I have mine (Airhawk R) shifted more to the front of my Corbin, so as far as seat height change, 0 to +1/8". They look like they would put you an inch or so higher, but the photos that you see are of fully inflated ones. You are not suppose to have that much air in them when using. Go to the two links below for more info.

http://www.airhawk.net/airhawk-r.aspx

http://www.airhawk.net/multimedia.aspx
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline jayke

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »
I have one of the cheap ones on my FJR.  Works better than I expected, at least as good as my last custom seat.
I think you'll like the Airhawk R. 

You move around a little bit on it which is odd at first.  You might want to take it off or flip it up when you ride the twisties.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
How much did ya get it for Steve?

Brian,

$159 if you order from Amazon instead of Airhawk. May be a few bux cheaper new on fleabay but i needed to use my 2-day free delivery for amazon prime to mom's house =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jaymohn

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »
I have one and like it a lot on my custom seat.  I just can't wear my normal boxer briefs with it or I end up sitting on my bag :o

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 06:55:41 AM »
I love my Airhawk. It took me a bit to figure out how much/little air to put in it but once dialed in it works great. I rode 600 miles stopping only for fuel and was completly comfortable with it. You're going to like it.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:25:26 AM »
I have an older airhawk and although it seems to be a quality product I never use it. I love my Corbin seat but on long days it starts to get to the gonads. It will be interesting to hear how you like the Airhawk R. Might me a good solution for me on 500 mile plus days.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
I have one and like it a lot on my custom seat.  I just can't wear my normal boxer briefs with it or I end up sitting on my bag :o

:o

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
I have trouble even saying the words. The right size is <gulp> medium cruiser. [spit, spit]

Brian

<snip>

Brian,
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »
That is the big problem- most of us want to put too much air in it. Once you get that under control, you can ride almost forever. At least all the way to the hospital in my experience....

Brian

I love my Airhawk. It took me a bit to figure out how much/little air to put in it but once dialed in it works great. I rode 600 miles stopping only for fuel and was completly comfortable with it. You're going to like it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
There is that..... ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
That is the big problem- most of us want to put too much air in it. Once you get that under control, you can ride almost forever. At least all the way to the hospital in my experience....

Brian

Would the best approach be to fill it up and then sit on it and then let air out until you just barely touch seat?  :-\

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
There are two ways I have found that work for me, and one will get me endless ridicule. But that is OK 'cause I am happy to 'take one for the team' so you can all adjust your bottoms correctly....

The 'sit and leak' method (as I like to call it) really does not work because you never know how much air is in the cushion or how much you have let out. The biggest problem with Airhawks I think is overfilling them but no one seems to have a good method of adjusting them with any precision.... until now! Follow the simple step- by- step directions below and you too can reach heinie nirvana.

First of all, the easiest way to tell how much air is in the thing is to take the cushion out of the sleeve (easy), put it on a flat surface, blow it up until it is full and leave the stem open. The cushion will deflate until each cell is full but not pressurized. Now pick an amount of cells, I find half of them works great for me, and squeeze all the air out of them. In other words, leave 1/2 of the cells full of air and squeeze all the air out of the other half. I find using a hardcover book or cutting board or something helps in squeezing down the cells (no need to push, just get them more or less flat). Close the valve, replace the cushion and try it. Now if you want to adjust it for more or less air, just repeat all of the above but leave an extra cell or two full of air, or empty and extra cell or two. This way you can adjust it a bit at a time but mostly, you can repeat the way you fill the cushion in the future! That is the biggest problem I find- just how much air is in the cushion and how much more are you adding (or now much are you letting out)?

The second method is this: sit on the cushion, on the bike, just as you would ride it- feet on the pegs and all. Now, slide your hand under your butt and feel around for you sitz bones (the ishium), there is one on either side. It is pressure on the ishium that will cause major pain and in some cases serious medical conditions (seriously- Christopher Reeve). Feel how much air there seems to be between your ishium and the actual saddle: you want no more than 1/2" at least to start. While sitting on the bike you may be able to let a bit of air out of the cushion but you won't be able to blow any air into the cushion that you are sitting on- at least no one I know has been able to and I would pay good money to see that. The problem with this method (besides some people enjoy it so much they keep at it until they are arrested) is that it is tough to impossible to know how much you are adding / subtracting from the cushion. That is why I recommend the 'cell count' method outlined above.

By the way: you can use the cell count method to help someone else adjust his / her Airhawk but I have found that is not always the case with the 'find the ishium' method. I helped this one woman this one time and her husband seemed really put off- I have no idea why because the entire seat adjustment was a raging success IMO.

Best of luck with your seat and please feel free to post picture on any other forum on the internet.

Brian

Would the best approach be to fill it up and then sit on it and then let air out until you just barely touch seat?  :-\

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 03:26:20 AM »

^ That is how Airhawk recommends you do it.

I have an older airhawk and although it seems to be a quality product I never use it. I love my Corbin seat but on long days it starts to get to the gonads. It will be interesting to hear how you like the Airhawk R. Might me a good solution for me on 500 mile plus days.

I use mine all the time with my Corbin.
(Bought the Corbin used, so it has already started breaking in to the PO's shape.)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 03:43:07 AM »
Brian,

Thanks for "taking one for the team", excellent methods.   :)

I really like the part about, "... the 'find the ishium' method. I helped this one woman this one time and her husband seemed really put off- ...".   ;D

Pilgrim

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
That wasn't her ishium and who do you think you are, TSA?..........
2014 C-14 Red