Author Topic: Anyone who's installed a Starcom or similar... I need advice.  (Read 7659 times)

Offline BS-in-KS

I know there is at least one person and I'm hoping for more who've installed a Starcom unit or similar comm setup.  I'm getting ready to put the Starcom1 Advance unit on my bike and am trying to decide where to place the headset plugin.  As I'm sitting in the saddle, do I want it in the paneling kind of behind me and to the right or left.  Or would I prefer to have it nearer the glovebox (09 bike) or similar in front of me?  The plug on the helmet exits in the middle of the back bottom of helmet but I could move it around to either side rather easily. 

Any advice?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Anyone who's installed a Starcom or similar... I need advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:02:34 AM »
I just let both helmet connections dangle out from under the saddle. Both are on the left side, mine just under my leg and my wife's is clipped to the left grab rail.

The cord exiting the helmet works best for us when it attached just under the left ear. But that is no doubt because our connections are on the left side of the bike.

Brian

I know there is at least one person and I'm hoping for more who've installed a Starcom unit or similar comm setup.  I'm getting ready to put the Starcom1 Advance unit on my bike and am trying to decide where to place the headset plugin.  As I'm sitting in the saddle, do I want it in the paneling kind of behind me and to the right or left.  Or would I prefer to have it nearer the glovebox (09 bike) or similar in front of me?  The plug on the helmet exits in the middle of the back bottom of helmet but I could move it around to either side rather easily. 

Any advice?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:06:15 AM »
What's this? your suppose to be riding west!!!  :o

I just let both helmet connections dangle out from under the saddle. Both are on the left side, mine just under my leg and my wife's is clipped to the left grab rail.

The cord exiting the helmet works best for us when it attached just under the left ear. But that is no doubt because our connections are on the left side of the bike.

Brian

Offline stewart

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:53:12 AM »
Same here, hang under left side of seat. And headsets afixed to the left side of helmet at base. We run the leads down inside our Jackets.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »
There seems to be some type of trouble starting the bike..... sorry Bob, didn't mean to excite you like that.  ;)

The schedule is to leave around 9:00 AM and it looks like I will make it. SPOT should be reporting westward progress shortly.

Brian

What's this? your suppose to be riding west!!!  :o
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »
I'm going to assume that since the leads are dangling from under the seat on the left side that you've both mounted the starcom unit under the seat as well? I'd love to see a picture of where/how you've places yours if at all possible. I've been thinking of putting the unit up front so I only have to run two bulkhead connectors back instead of running Zumo leads, radio cable, music cable and any other accesories I'm not thinking of currently. 

(Brian, thanks and best of luck on the trip!  I know I won't or shouldn't see a response from you till much later if you managed to leave on time that is.)

Thanks for the help from both of you!

Brent

Offline jayke

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »
My Starcom is just laying on it's side under the seat.  Been there for almost four years.  The headset cables run out the left side of the bike under the seat. On the '08 and '09's  there is room for the cables without geting pinched by the seat. 

Pictures:

Offline stewart

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
Mine sits on top per photo below alongside my Fuzeblock. Been there for over a year now with no troubles. My wiring used to run alongside the tank under the plastic. But last weekend I lifted the tank and it all runs underneath the tank. Zumo 660, Volume Control, PTT, 2nd Stereo Input, Power for USB...so far its working well.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
I have an Autocom, with the passenger lead coming out the left middle side under the seat, and the driver lead running along the tank under the right side of the seat and coming up at the front of the seat between my legs.  I use electrical tape to hold the cable in place under the seat.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline overthehill

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
Please post pictures where you put your autocom.  Thanks.
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »
Please post pictures where you put your autocom.  Thanks.

I powered the unit off the rear accesory leads, via an SAE connector.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
I bought a Firstgear tankbag that fits nicely on the plastic tank panel on my 2010 Concours. I installed the Starcom1 unit in the tankbag, mounted the headset cords on the left side,the volume control knob thru the top of the bag, ran the audio and power wires out the front of the bag. This tankbag/audio set-up, radar detector and Zumo 550 can be moved from bike to bike in less than 10 minutes.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x118/bm1327/2010%20Concours/
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline LSGiant

• 2011 C14, 07 Ninja 650R (Spouses')
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »
My Starcom is Velcroed to the back of the dash panel on the right side

Photo is attached showing where I put the panel plug. This allows me to plug in on the fly if required.

The plug on the left of the heated grip controller is for my heated gear.

Sorry about the quality I had to crop it out of a larger photo.
In the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant,
Le Sueur Mn
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
I put the unit inside the tools box
The plugins at the left side, under the site
using the Pro-fit1 optional fitting kit

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:34:33 AM »
A couple of features the Starcom has that no one else has.
1)  A Push to talk Ptt3 (one for the CB or FRS/GMRS and 2nd one) so you can speak to bike to bike or cell phone separately from the passenger.
2) Separate  remote volume control
3)Spousal Speech Monitor/Control (SSMC)*  with the Neutral Comment Feedback Generator (NCFG)
Scroll to the bottom.
http://www.shangorider.com/Products/Starcomother.html

What else is nice is the helmet extension cables. In a pinch you can buy one from any computer store. Just ask for a PS2 keyboard extension cable.

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 06:57:39 AM »
Yep, I was not able to answer this question at the time and yep, my Starcom is mounted under the seat. Just behind the tool box, laying flat. The only real trouble in using this placement is that it makes a very long run for any cables that have to go to the handlebars such as the Zumo cables, the PTT switch, and the external radio for bike- to- bike comms if one is used. But it does make it <fairly> easy to pop the back half of the seat off (I have a Corbin) to adjust the settings on the unit. That need is offset by using a remote control mounted in the glove box though.

Nothing wrong with mounting one up front either, and it might be easier to wire external devices other than the passenger headset cord perhaps. Just make sure to shield the unit well from any water as it is not waterproof.... or really even water resistant.

Brian

I'm going to assume that since the leads are dangling from under the seat on the left side that you've both mounted the starcom unit under the seat as well? I'd love to see a picture of where/how you've places yours if at all possible. I've been thinking of putting the unit up front so I only have to run two bulkhead connectors back instead of running Zumo leads, radio cable, music cable and any other accesories I'm not thinking of currently. 

(Brian, thanks and best of luck on the trip!  I know I won't or shouldn't see a response from you till much later if you managed to leave on time that is.)

Thanks for the help from both of you!

Brent

Offline stewart

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »
3)Spousal Speech Monitor/Control (SSMC)*  with the Neutral Comment Feedback Generator (NCFG)
Scroll to the bottom.
http://www.shangorider.com/Products/Starcomother.html

I've decided to wait for the model where I don't have to assume all risk for use of this feature.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »
Autocom PROV something mounted in the glove box, leads are stored coiled inside when not in use, exit out of a coupla small slots from the edge of the lid.  Easy access when needed, neat, clean install, short run from Zumo.  SWMBO leads just run under my arm when riding, I use a mag tank bag to keep cords at waist level.  Unit is getting old, may need to step up to the star com, I like the idea of the PTT and a portable radio for trips for bike to bike comms.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
I use Autocom, contained within a tank bag that also powers the GPS, Weather Radio/GMRS-FRS and MP3 player, all of which are contained in / on the tank bag as a unit, all integrated into the Autocom.  Real nice thing about this is that it easily transfers to other bikes, needing only a power lead to the bag.

Said bag is on the GPZ1100 pic in my sig line.  In that pic, I had just picked the bike up (new to me) put a power harness on the battery in about 10 minutes, slapped the tank bag on - good to go.

In considering placement of your helmet hookup leads coming off of the bike, keep in mind that you're going to take off sometimes and forget to connect (DAMHIKIJK) so consider placing them within safe convenient reach.

Best scenario would be wireless, but that's additional $$ to replace an otherwise perfectly functioning system that I already have.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Stavee

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 09:03:03 PM »
I have the starcom and it is located in the forward faring to the left of the windshield mechanism. I placed it in a section of old inner tube. I have gps, xm radio, radar detector, and gmrs radio w/PTT. My coil cable extends from the left grip area to the left side of my helmet. I find this location convenient and most times don't even need to remove the cable for fueling purposes. Photo shows the cable betweenthe gmrs and gps.

First bike '38 DKW