Author Topic: 47L Trunk Discontinued?  (Read 3687 times)

Offline tjung

47L Trunk Discontinued?
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
Last night I ordered the Kawasaki 47L trunk with the color matched plate.  Today a got an email from the merchant saying that the 47L trunk has been discontinued by the manufacturer.  Has anyone else heard this?  Honestly I was excited to get the color matched OEM product, even though I know the newer monokey Givi trunks are a bit nicer.   :'(
Tim J.
2010 C14 - Neptune Blue

Offline tjung

Re: 47L Trunk Discontinued?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Most places that I looked didn't indicate their stock, and I assumed that they were likely only placing the order with the manufacturer or wholesaler after receiving my order.

Now that I have been stiffed, and I considering the new Givi V47 and Phil's rack.  Anyone have a picture of that on a C14?
Tim J.
2010 C14 - Neptune Blue

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
The Givi is 46 rather than 47 and is perfect for Phil's rack with the mounting accessories.  I've had mine for nearly four years and can only praise both the Givi and Phil's rack and mounting system.

Thanks for the tip.  Most places that I looked didn't indicate their stock, and I assumed that they were likely only placing the order with the manufacturer or wholesaler after receiving my order.

Now that I have been stiffed, and I considering the new Givi V47 and Phil's rack.  Anyone have a picture of that on a C14?
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
Last night I had the opportunity of installing a Kawasaki trunk (First time) on my rack using my T-nuts. It was much more rigid on my rack but sitting on the 4 rubber bumpers that came with the universal mounting plate it still had room to move about. We tried using some padding strips I supply with the SW-Motech kits and it improved somewhat. I was not happy with the sloppy fit and would recommend a monokey trunk as it fits much better than the Kawasaki monolock version. I have no financial interest in either, just reporting my experience.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline tjung

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »
Actually it looks Givi has come out with a new one that is called the V47.  Guessing that it may replace the V46.  It looks pretty nice, but I am curious as to how it looks on a C14 before I sink $500 into it and a mounting plate.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-v47-monokey-topcase?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=COSPyrT8xrgCFctAMgod_WcAVA
Tim J.
2010 C14 - Neptune Blue

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 03:46:40 AM »
Actually it looks Givi has come out with a new one that is called the V47.  Guessing that it may replace the V46.  It looks pretty nice, but I am curious as to how it looks on a C14 before I sink $500 into it and a mounting plate.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-v47-monokey-topcase?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=COSPyrT8xrgCFctAMgod_WcAVA

hummmm.........   :popcorn:     I think that that might look nice.  hummmmmm..........   :popcorn:
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline tjung

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:28 AM »
I certainly like the look of it.  I would probably have already made up my mind if my bike were silver vs blue.  I did notice that you can get a SW Motech rack on Twisted Throttle for $90 including Givi adapters.

Phil - Can you tell me how your rack compares with the SW Motech version?  I can tell that yours is a bit more expensive, but it certainly looks nicer and is made of aluminum vs the steel SWM rack.  And I have heard that that your customer service is second-to-none, which is also important to me.  Thanks.
Tim J.
2010 C14 - Neptune Blue

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
I haven't seen their rack in person but I think it sits on top of the stock rack and is stamped sheet steel or alum. When I made mine it was only intended for my own use, I had no intentions of selling them. Consequently, I made it with much more complex machining than is needed,  and since I made it myself I added features strictly for looks and to challenge my amateur machining skills. My only motivation was to make something I could be proud of, with no thought of how to make it cheaper. The majority of the cost in mine is the extensive machining of the details and the fact is must be machined on both sides. My rack is so rigid you can support both edges and stand on it and it won't flex. I start with 3/8" aluminum plate because I wanted it to be stronger than needed, and that thickness allows use of all the stock mounting hardware. There are several cheaper and thinner racks available that will adequately support a trunk, I just wanted mine to look better and go beyond the minimum requirement.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:02:08 AM by philipintexas »
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Flathead

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »
There are several cheaper and thinner racks available that will adequately support a trunk, I just wanted mine to look better and go beyond the minimum requirement.
And they do!

Offline bluedogok

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »
I have a Krauser K5 on the Krauser rack insert for the C14. I had the K5 on my Triumph Sprint that I had before.

Offline northsouth

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »

Here you go. Phil's rack is very sturdy and very well made. Would buy it again.