Author Topic: Murphs Grips  (Read 6908 times)

Offline p07r0457

Murphs Grips
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »
I received my Murphs Grips in the mail, today.  I thought these were more "plug-n-play" but apparently they are not designed for the C14.

How have you installed them?  Obviously I must cut the ends off.  Do you recommend cutting the inside part off, as well?  Should I install over factory grips?  Or in lieu of factory grips?

I would like a result that is "fatter" than the stock grip, and that looks good.

Suggestions/input from people who have done this would be appreciated -- I don't want the cut the grips incorrectly and have to throw them away.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline Conrad

Re: Murphs Grips
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
I didn't know that Murph had grips for the C14. The only grips I saw at his site were for the C10. Gotta link or pic?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
I'm assuming he's speaking of these.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=35
Yes you must cut the ends off, yes you must cut the old grips off.
They slide on the ends of your bars, you'll want to remove the bar ends first.
use some hairspray to slide them on, or buy some grip glue.
They are good grips, but not amazing.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »
I didn't know that Murph had grips for the C14. The only grips I saw at his site were for the C10. Gotta link or pic?
They are the C10 grips.  I've seen people run them, before, but I incorrectly assumed they were either compatible, or that it was a common mod.  Although I can find a few pictures, now, I don't seem any instructions or reviews.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=649.msg24804#msg24804

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
I've got Murph's on my 14. As Mr.Pepsi said good grips. I've got a set of Original Beemer Buddies or go over them but haven't tried them yet.
http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »
I've got Murph's on my 14. As Mr.Pepsi said good grips. I've got a set of Original Beemer Buddies or go over them but haven't tried them yet.
http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/
How did you install your grips?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »
I  had them on my 14 as well. Just cut the ends off.
The diameter of the bars works.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »
I have them on my 2009. I also tried the BMW grips but I prefer Murph's Grips better. You can get those on without hairspray. I push at the end which compresses the grip, making the inside diameter bigger allowing it to go on. I have done it both with hairspray and without and prefer no using it. They stick to the bars immediately when put on dry. If you use hairspray, use plain hairspray, no funky additives.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:59:33 AM »
How did you install your grips?
Remove old grips. Cut outside end off new grips. Remove stock bar end weights. Install new grips dry, as PH14 did. Reinstall bar ends.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 04:30:46 AM »
I don't see why one would have to cut the old grips off. Use your compressor and 'inflate' the old grips to remove them then 'inflate' the new grips to get them on. Been there done that, piece of cake.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:32:17 AM »
I had to cut mine off.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 04:33:13 AM »
I had to cut mine off.

My guess is that you just really wanted to use that sword of yours.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 05:53:50 AM »
Too true.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »
Those grips won't fit over the stock grips.  If you have compressed air then remova/installation is a snap.  Otherwise, cutting the old grips off is easiest.  I used hairspray to stick mine on.  They are 2 different diameters fro the clutch & throttle sides so look carefully at the openings or you'll have headaches.
They're better than stock for sure.  My next grips will probably be Hotgrips in the BMW ergo grip style.  Not sure how soft they'll be, but I think the style is better for me.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 08:25:48 AM »
Those grips won't fit over the stock grips. 

Really?  :o  Do tell...

Oh they aren't "Murph's" grips.   They are Pro Grip 714's. 

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »
CB, you have grips over grips in that pic?
Damn that would be nice for my long fingers.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »
I installed the clutch side, last night.  Got the stock grip off without cutting it or using a compressor.  Just peeled it back about 1/4 way and started tugging.  Took a while to get it off, but it's in one piece and can be reused if I choose to (my hands hurt, today, lol).

I did a test-fit of the Murphs by spraying the bar and inside of the grip with water and they slid right on as easy as could be....   Unfortunately, this did not prepare me for the real-thing.  I wrapped my bars with a few layers of electrical tape -- partially to insulate the bars and reduce heat transfer, but also to make them a smidge thicker.  I then installed my heating elements.  I went with the Moose Racing kit, since it appears to be identical to the Symtec kit that was recommended to me, and I got it for $35 which seems quite reasonable -- included switch and all the wiring.  Unfortunately, the grips don't slide well over the heating elements, and electrical tape appears to act as some super-adhesive with the grips.  Took me an hour to slowly squeeze the grips on....  Basically compressing the end, then stroking the grip to pull it in the desired direction.  Progress was very slow.  But I finally got it on there.  I'm hoping that they stay in place and don't twist or move.

Still have to do the throttle side, tonight.   And all of the wiring/switch installation.  I hope the throttle tube is strong enough to handle the abuse of getting the stock grip off, and installing the new grip.  I'd hate to break it.

Offline GhettoBird

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »
I installed mine over the stock grips. Just cut holes in the ends and used liquid soap to help slide them over. Had to work at it a bit but turned out fine.
2010 C14
2008 HD FLSTC (sold)
1991 ZX11 (sold)
1982 GPz 1100 (I miss this one)

Offline PH14

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 09:33:24 AM »
I had to cut mine off.

Since I no longer have a compressor, I put a little detergent on the outside of the grips, and peel them off. The detergent lubes them so the slide over themselves easily. The come off in a matter of seconds and can be reused. Just keep the area you will be holding free of detergent.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »
I had to cut mine off.

WARNING!!!

Anyone reading this thread- that type of advice is for the Gen 1.... Gen 2 has HEATED GRIPS...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc