Author Topic: Battle scars  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Battle scars
« on: June 05, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »
Had my second connie drop today. Stupid me tried to do a U turn on a badly inclined road. Needless to say gravity likes connie and won. Wife got a few rashes on her elbow. I muttered under my breadth - "that is why we suggest to wear some protection" - do not want her to hear that ! I still want to be able to buy farkles. But otherwise she is fine. So the question is, the right side faring and luggage got some nice scars. Wondering what you guys do? Just leave them as is? Sand it down with a fine sand paper and try to match paint? Put some decals?

Also, the right side mirror now does not have that stop in the middle position. It just swivels front to back. I am guessing I destroyed whatever stops it in the middle or some sort of spring. I am planning on getting some mirror risers. Wondering if that will eliminate the problem.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline S.Ga.Rider

Re: Battle scars
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:49:08 AM »
Mine was dropped when I bought it and had a rashed left mirror. Its been almost a year now and even though I had planned to replace it, I still have the scratched mirror. I still check ebay on occasion trying to find a good used one but always see right ones not left. You can try ebay for yours. I see them from $50-80 usually(if you can find one) or you can get a whole new mirror from ron ayers for $150(last time I checked).

Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:57:10 AM »
Mine went over once on day one. I chose to fix my brand new bike. But if you can polish out the scratches, I might go that way. I perfer my vehicles to be clean and free of marks. So I would probably fix it.

The mirror comes as a full assembly. Bracket and mirror head. It's also about $150 new. Good luck on what ever you decide!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:01 AM »
The mirror actually did not scratch up too bad and still in working condition. It is just that it does not have the stop in the middle anymore when you fold the mirror either front of back. So you guys are saying I will have to buy a complete mirror assembly regardless? IF so, that is a shame....I will just see if I can keep the mirror in place.
As for the scratches, I am in fence because the scratches are not that many or that deep to worth replacing the panel but enough to be visible...
Dang bike is so top heavy, now I am afraid to take U-turns ! lol !
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Shoe

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:26:33 AM »
Dang bike is so top heavy, now I am afraid to take U-turns ! lol !

Its a beast. Its not the turn its the radius of the turn. I love the C14 on the road but in the parking lot its a pig. I can't imagine trying a tight U-turn with a passenger on board.  :-[
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »
I know exactly what you are saying ! The bike is so smooth when you got a bit of momentum. I have been trying to be more confident about taking U-turns. But I guess I need to choose my battle grounds to take U-turns ! Heck, I am more confident of U-turns on my 1999 Fatboy with a 250mm tire on the back ! lol
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
I've been practicing U turns at the local Motor Vehicle Department MC test coarse after hours. I rode by on Friday and Saturday early evening (sun just going down) to hit the figure 8 and u turn sections. I gotta tell you, the Connie is a little intimidating. I thought I should embrace the challenge and get proficient in low speed maneuvering on this bike.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:05 AM »
I've been practicing U turns at the local Motor Vehicle Department MC test coarse after hours. I rode by on Friday and Saturday early evening (sun just going down) to hit the figure 8 and u turn sections. I gotta tell you, the Connie is a little intimidating. I thought I should embrace the challenge and get proficient in low speed maneuvering on this bike.

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing ! But I need to first invest on a bit more drop protection. Coz I know I am going to drop that sucker a time or two while practicing. Do you have any sort of protection to save the faring and bags?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »
I had the misfortune to drop mine in the parking lot trying to do too tight of a turn after backing out of a parking stall, resulting in a popped plastic rivet, and really bad scrapes and scratches in the uper and lower fairing, and saddle bag.

A little sandpaper to clean up the jagged plastic, and a couple color pens from colorrite.com did the trick.  The "base" color for the blue topcoat happens to match the black plastic lower fairing almost exactly.  You really can't tell it has been dropped unless you look very carefully.

I now have GSG sliders.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
That is exactly what I am thinking of doing ! But I need to first invest on a bit more drop protection. Coz I know I am going to drop that sucker a time or two while practicing. Do you have any sort of protection to save the faring and bags?

Nope I don't have any protection; but I'm looking into getting the MC Enterprise bars for the bags and maybe a frame slider
http://www.mcenterprisesusa.com/garage/policebikes_kawasaki_concours2.html
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Bob

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »

You can pick them up at any Dunkin' Donuts. There are plenty up in the New England area. Each DD has a full front set. But you may need a female to go with you. You shouldn't be in the ladies room! Sorry I couldn't resist!  :rotflmao:

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »

You can pick them up at any Dunkin' Donuts. There are plenty up in the New England area. Each DD has a full front set. But you may need a female to go with you. You shouldn't be in the ladies room! Sorry I couldn't resist!  :rotflmao:

???

I wanted to join in the laugh....but my noob brain did not catch the drift....but hey! at least it got you laughing!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Bob

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:56 AM »
???

I wanted to join in the laugh....but my noob brain did not catch the drift....but hey! at least it got you laughing!

I'll explain it with photo's later when I have access to the pertinent information to post!

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »
If it were my bike at 21000 miles, I probably wouldn't fix anything that is cosmetic unless it was really bad.  I am more function over form.  With that said, if I only had the bike a short while I would fix the stuff with new panels and such.  Kinda contrary statements but hey I'm complicated.

T.S.R.

Bob

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
???

OK, here's what I was referring to. If you look at these MC Enterprises tip over bars for the C14:

They strike a remarkable resemblance to these bars in the Dunkin' Donuts in Connecticut! This what what I was talking about. Sorry if I confused you with the references!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »
LOL ! That is actually hillarious !

But no thanks - I do not think I want towel hangers hanging from my bike ! lol ! I am looking more at the projektd sliders or something similar. Although, I will eat my words if I get a pair cheap. The only thing I am not sure is how much protection they offer considering they are higher up on the fairing. But I do admit I like the MC enterprises saddle bag protections and may get a pair at some point.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »
I do wish the C14 had some good factory tip over wings/bars or something "for cryin out loud"!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
I do wish the C14 had some good factory tip over wings/bars or something "for cryin out loud"!
I had a K1200lt and dropped it doing a U-turn on a slight incline, and I hit a driveway.  That was it, over it went! I was SO surprised at how the tipover protection worked.  Minor scratches on the plastic trim that protects the side cases, and minor scratches on the plastic trim of the mirrors!  VERY impressive.  There's a youtube video of a guy 'letting go' of his (or someone else's LT) that is worth watching!  I can't find it now, but this one gives you an idea of how and what touches!  BMW K1200LT Pick Up

The lt IS a big bike though.  However, I was quite comfy doing U-turns within two parking spaces WITHOUT putting a foot down.  I'm not there with my C14, but I'll keep working on it!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
The K1200lt looks like a pretty big bike. What do you find different between this and the C14 that it was easier for you to do U-turn on it and not the C14? Is it the turn radius or center of gravity or both?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14