Author Topic: Question for those who have worn out a rear Pilot Road 3  (Read 7017 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Question for those who have worn out a rear Pilot Road 3
« on: July 02, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
I am away from home and have noticed that some of the fine rain grooves that run the center of tire are starting to disappear.  Wondering how many miles I might have left?  Should I try and find a tire within a couple hours from me?

Thanks.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Question for those who have worn out a rear Pilot Road 3
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »
I ran 1000 local miles from the point you describe. Very careful in the wet of course.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
How many miles you got on it now?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »

+1

Why would you leave out that wonderful piece of info??!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »

Now Jim, that would be answering a question with a question.   :)  I just needed to know how many miles are left in the tire once those wear bars are hit.  How many miles I rode up to this point is not available nor relevent.  My info is in my old smart phone and that data didn't transfer to the new smart phone.  Plus, I keep the bike on trip meter so I don't even know how many miles are on it right now.  I do inspect my tires every evening when on a ride to make sure I am good for the next day.

Hopefully another 256 miles because that is how far I have to go (along my route) to find a dealer who actually has a sport touring tire in the size required and/or optional size.  Every other dealer had the wrong type of tire or the wrong size or both, and all the other dealers wanted 50% over Internet pricing plus a full hour to install.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »
Generally one MM above the wear bar is what is recommended as a minimum. Anything beyond that puts you in a gray area.  The miles you have on the present tire is absolutely relevant because it says alot about the road surfaces you travel, how close you pay attention to pressure or how hard you ride. So if it took 9,000 miles to get there I would be better able to judge what is left. If you have no clue to how long the tires have been on there I would say get in the habit of writing that stuff down in the manual. If that is not possible keep a lucky rabits foot with you and hope for the best.  Just as a rule of thumb if you take a penny and observe how far Lincoln's head is from the edge, that is pretty close to 2mm.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
I ran down my PR3 until that centre zigzag groove was barely visible.  Didn't mean for it to work out that way, but I might have done a bit of a burnout at a rally and knocked a few k's off it...

But basically I went on a 1000km ride and the rear tyre performance was on my mind the entire time - changed it as soon as I got home.

I've seen buddies on other bikes go from "not much tread left" to "what are those wires showing through?" in a matter of a day or two on the road.  No fun.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:57:48 AM »
If one is truly concerned over their tires, then they should replace them and have done with it, rather than worry how many miles of life that they have left.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
If one is truly concerned over their tires, then they should replace them and have done with it, rather than worry how many miles of life that they have left.

^^^^^^
 +1 :thumbs:

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
... How many miles I rode up to this point is not ... relevent.  ...

Sure it is. Billy might get 8000 miles out of a rear PR3, while Johnny might get 4000 out of the same tire on the same bike. Let's say Billy wore out the sipes at 6000, which means that he had 2000 miles left. If Johnny's sipes wore at 3000 (and he went another 1000), we can surmise that you have 25% life left (plus or minus). Theoretically, a more "sporting" rider gets fewer miles, but if the percentages line up, one could estimate for their riding style.

Besides, number of miles on a tire is VERY helpful to members doing searches for tire life prior to purchase.

Later, I'll write a post about someone heading west from Detroit at 60mph, and someone else heading east from Spokane at 75mph... and asking where they'll meet.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
The teacher asked little Johnny how he uses his rubber.... DOH, wrong thread  ;D

Offline lablank

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
The teacher asked little Johnny how he uses his rubber.... DOH, wrong thread  ;D

I disagree. This is indeed the right thread!!! It's always the right thread for a bit of fun, isn't it?  :finger_fing11:
2012 C14 Candy Arabian Red; 2005 Hayabusa Red/Black
1988 Katana 1100; 1990 Intruder 800; 1979 GS1000E; 1978 GS750E; 1973 CB350

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
Sure it is. Billy might get 8000 miles out of a rear PR3, while Johnny might get 4000 out of the same tire on the same bike. Let's say Billy wore out the sipes at 6000, which means that he had 2000 miles left. If Johnny's sipes wore at 3000 (and he went another 1000), we can surmise that you have 25% life left (plus or minus). Theoretically, a more "sporting" rider gets fewer miles, but if the percentages line up, one could estimate for their riding style.

Besides, number of miles on a tire is VERY helpful to members doing searches for tire life prior to purchase.

Later, I'll write a post about someone heading west from Detroit at 60mph, and someone else heading east from Spokane at 75mph... and asking where they'll meet.

Well that certainly made my brane hurt...

Offline Spanky

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
It is good until all the air leaks out. The display will blink at you when that happens - just ride it until then.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
Generally one MM above the wear bar is what is recommended as a minimum. Anything beyond that puts you in a gray area.  The miles you have on the present tire is absolutely relevant because it says alot about the road surfaces you travel, how close you pay attention to pressure or how hard you ride. So if it took 9,000 miles to get there I would be better able to judge what is left. If you have no clue to how long the tires have been on there I would say get in the habit of writing that stuff down in the manual. If that is not possible keep a lucky rabits foot with you and hope for the best.  Just as a rule of thumb if you take a penny and observe how far Lincoln's head is from the edge, that is pretty close to 2mm.

Here is a pictoral approximation of the type of roads I rode.

Temps from the 30s to the 90s.  Speeds from 25 MPH to 90 MPH.

Anyway, I made it the 256 miles to the dealer and now have a new tire put on. 

Here is what the tire looked like before the tech pulled it from the bike.

My Concours Travels:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »

Jim,  if I were to do that evertime I head out on a trip I would have a lot of half used tires sitting in my shop.  If I had been planning to ride 7000 miles like I did last summer on my Versys, I would have put a new tire on. 

In 150,000 miles I have ridden in the past 6 years, I have had to buy 3 tires while on the road.  I didn't do many road trips prior to that time.  Just local and weekend riding.

Of course that is why I check my tires every evening so that I can travel to get a new tire.  If I had a preplanned route and knew when my tires would expire I could just have motorcyclesuperstore send a tire to one of their preferred installers so it is waiting for me when I get there, but like others have said, you can't really predict how many miles you will get out of a tire. 

My Concours Travels:

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
My last rp3 went to s*it in one day. The previous one went over 12k while the last one wore to the cords, looked fine on Sat mornin and by Sunday night was toast at 1/3 of the miles. A high speed interstate run from Columbus to Indy I believe was the problem. Once I saw the cords, I nursed that one home (70 miles with a severe anal pucker) and called my local mobile motorcycle tire service to come out and change it over.

IMHO you got at least enough to get you home and to the shop if needed
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
My last rp3 went to s*it in one day. The previous one went over 12k while the last one wore to the cords, looked fine on Sat mornin and by Sunday night was toast at 1/3 of the miles. A high speed interstate run from Columbus to Indy I believe was the problem. Once I saw the cords, I nursed that one home (70 miles with a severe anal pucker) and called my local mobile motorcycle tire service to come out and change it over.

IMHO you got at least enough to get you home and to the shop if needed

really?

Offline Lone-Rider

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 03:36:47 AM »

There is a **** load of miles left in that tire, they just need to be in corners.... 

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
There is a **** load of miles left in that tire, they just need to be in corners....

I agree.  If my trip had been on the Blue Ridge Parkway I wouldn't have been too concerned.  But since it was in the north central states where curves are a relative term, I thought better to change it out. 

I was so happy to cross into Kentucky on my way home and be back on curvy roads!
My Concours Travels: