Author Topic: Accessory Plug not working?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline stelt

Accessory Plug not working?
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
Checked fuse OK, checked socket and have no power at socket...anyone ever have a bad socket?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Accessory Plug not working?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:18 PM »
Not that I recall.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »
Have you checked it with a voltmeter or tried another accessory cord?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
Not to be too obvious but you are checking the outlet with the ignition on, right? It is only powered up when the ignition is on.

Except for the guy on the other forum who has a C-14 that he claims the cigarette lighter outlet stays hot for a while after he shuts the ignition off. In the grand scheme of things, this sort of balances out the entropy in the universe- you do not have enough 'outlet ON' and he has too much of it.  :D

Brian

Checked fuse OK, checked socket and have no power at socket...anyone ever have a bad socket?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
And check that it's not just loose. Other threads talk about accessory plugs being loose in the factory socket (and the need to wedge the plug in there).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
Just in case you have a heated Corbin seat - make sure you hook it up properly.  I misread the instructions which knocked out the accessory plug on the dash for a while...
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »
Never tried mine since day one. Guess now I better give mine a try.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Not to be too obvious but you are checking the outlet with the ignition on, right? It is only powered up when the ignition is on.

Except for the guy on the other forum who has a C-14 that he claims the cigarette lighter outlet stays hot for a while after he shuts the ignition off. In the grand scheme of things, this sort of balances out the entropy in the universe- you do not have enough 'outlet ON' and he has too much of it.  :D

Brian

I though of adding that after I wrote my response but decided against it.  :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
I though of adding that after I wrote my response but decided against it.  :rotflmao:

:)  Me too
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »
Crap, yet another thread without an ending. I'll never be able to sleep if this keeps up.  :doh:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »
I'm betting on what Brian said and the OP is a lil embarrassed...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »
I'm betting on what Brian said and the OP is a lil embarrassed...

Come on, share the embarrassment! We all do things like that. We deserve to laugh at the other who get caught!  ;D

Offline stelt

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
Sorry guys...yes i tried with the ignition ON and bike running   ;), no go.. pulled fairing and voila the previous owner had damaged the wiring leading to the socket....all fixed up now... 8) 8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
pulled fairing and voila the previous owner had damaged the wiring leading to the socket....

I remember seeing that wiring when I was back there and thought "damn that wiring to the accessory socket is thin/wimpy!"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »
Sorry guys...yes i tried with the ignition ON and bike running   ;), no go.. pulled fairing and voila the previous owner had damaged the wiring leading to the socket....all fixed up now... 8) 8)

Awesome! Good to hear.

Thank you and goodnight, I can sleep now.

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:11 AM »
First time I tried to use mine on a new 2012, it didn't work. Checked the fuse and it was blown.  Something must have caused that fuse to blow so I took it to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong so he put in a new fuse.  That was 2 months ago and it it working fine now, but SOMETHING must have caused that fuse to blow.

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
First time I tried to use mine on a new 2012, it didn't work. Checked the fuse and it was blown.  Something must have caused that fuse to blow so I took it to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong so he put in a new fuse.  That was 2 months ago and it it working fine now, but SOMETHING must have caused that fuse to blow.

You never know if someone plugged a bad cord into the socket that was shorted. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Of course you could have a badly insulated wire... Carry an extra fuse. I doubt you'll have another problem. Who knows, maybe the mechanic setting up the bike used the socket to hold his screwdriver.