Author Topic: Rear differential leaking  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Mighty

Rear differential leaking
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »
At 250 miles I decided to look the bike over and noticed oil splotches on my rear rim from the differential.  I tried the search feature but didn't find anything.  I thought I read about an issue with the rear seal before the site crashed.  Anyone know of any issues?
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline 4cedars

Re: Rear differential leaking
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
Mighty, Just got mine out of the shop for 3 issues, 1 being a leak from the final drive. Mine ended up being the large o ring and not the inner seal that others have had a problem with. The dealership had to pressurize the unit to locate the culprit.  John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:49:15 AM »
I'm guessing that this is a brand new bike in the first 250 miles. It may just be excess spline grease or a slight overfill of gear lube. It does happen now and then. Clean it off and keep and eye on it. If it persists, then take it in to be looked at!

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 05:43:04 AM »
+1 what Bob said.  Extra spline moly doesn't look good but if you wipe it off it probably wont come back or just a little more will come out.  If its the seals in the final drive its normally a real mess.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:08:15 AM »
+ 2..........
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Mighty

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
Yes, new leftover 09.  Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm taking her out this afternoon and will wipe it down beforehand and see what happens.
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline Gearhead82

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
I agree with the others. I've had my new 09 for about a month and had grease on the wheel. Cleaned it after a couple hundred miles and it didn't come back. I had a little more on there after the first ride after I changed the fluid for the first time. Not sure if I overfilled it or what, but once again I wiped it off and it hasn't come back. 1200+ miles on it so far.
'09 C14, Area P Full System, BMC, Flies out, PCV