Author Topic: I thought KIPASS Stranded Me Last Night.. (New Title)  (Read 34751 times)

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
I thought KIPASS Stranded Me Last Night.. (New Title)
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »
Welp...all those years of making jokes about Harley's always needing to be fixed has apparently come back to get me! Last night my wife and I were heading home and as I was coming to stop sign the bike died. I tried to restart it and the dreaded "immobilizer error" appeared on my dash. We weren't too far from home so our neighbor picked up my wife and before they left, she grabbed me a new battery for the FOB, but that didn't work. So after waiting three hours for the tow truck, I got the bike home. I had my wife come out with the other FOB and it began to work, but when I went to start it, it died again and the immobilizer error came back.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Could it be a bike's battery? It is OEM, so maybe it's time to replace it. Any other troubleshooting ideas you recommend? Bear in mind, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world.

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:24:50 AM by Burbs »

Offline PH14

Re: KIPASS Stranded Me Last Night
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
I have been doing some thinking and have come up with a crude drawing of something Kawasaki could use on its future bike to prevent this problem. Sorry it can't help your current situation.

:thumbs:

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
Also, did you try the method for starting the bike with a dead FOB battery as outlined in the manual?

Okay, I just looked at the manual and realize that the Immobilizer warning is not related to the FOB. There is a separate warning for that. It is too early for me and I'm still working on the coffee. The manual was very helpful stating that you should take your bike to the dealer. I would be tempted to check connections.

Brian will be here soon I'm sure and he will be able to offer some insight.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:21:03 AM »
I did check the manual and read that I should bring it to the dealer as well. I'd like to exhaust all my options, within reason, before bringing it down to the dealer if possible.

But I did find your key post very funny!  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:21:36 AM »
Great idea- I believe you have shown us a divinig rod that will point out the problem?  That would really help diagnosing problems around the bike.

Seeing as Chris said the bike died, and KiPass has absolutely no ability to stop a running bike, I know you didn't mean that a conventional key would solve his current problem....  ;)

Brian

I have been doing some thinking and have come up with a crude drawing of something Kawasaki could use on its future bike to prevent this problem. Sorry it can't help your current situation.

:thumbs:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
So what do you think Brian? Could it be a battery or fuse issue? The bike's now out of warranty, so I'm a bit fearful of what the cost may be to get this fixed.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
Hey Chris- first off, my very first guess: loose battery cable(s).

The key (pun intended) to your post is that the bike died as you were coming to a stop sign: KiPass of course does not have the ability to stop or interfere in any way wtih a running bike. Whatever happened to your bike to cause it to stall cannot be related to KiPass. The fact that you had an 'Immobilizer Error' show up immediately after suggests to me that something electrical is wrong but something much more global that the KiPass system.

So again, check both battery cables and the battery ground cable where it attaches to the bike's frame. After that, regulator and alternator along with the connectors to both would be on my list.

Of course it is possible that something more subtle is going on here such as a loose ECU cable but I believe that to be highly unlikely.

Best of luck with the problem and please feel free to contact me if you think I can be of any help.

Brian

Welp...all those years of making jokes about Harley's always needing to be fixed has apparently come back to get me! Last night my wife and I were heading home and as I was coming to stop sign the bike died. I tried to restart it and the dreaded "immobilizer error" appeared on my dash. We weren't too far from home so our neighbor picked up my wife and before they left, she grabbed me a new battery for the FOB, but that didn't work. So after waiting three hours for the tow truck, I got the bike home. I had my wife come out with the other FOB and it began to work, but when I went to start it, it died again and the immobilizer error came back.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Could it be a bike's battery? It is OEM, so maybe it's time to replace it. Any other troubleshooting ideas you recommend? Bear in mind, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world.

Thanks,

Chris
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
Thanks for the input Brian. I'll check those connections this afternoon and see what I can find.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Spanky

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
Once again I learn something from Brian. I did not realize that kipass could not affect the bike when it is running - good to know if I ever run into a similar situation.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
Yeah, KiPass has become such a big thing that I think some people believe it controls the phases of the moon :-)  KiPass's job is to authenticate a valid fob and ALLOW the starting sequence to BEGIN and that is all. The chain of events is that the KiPass ECU sends an 'okdokey' to the main ECU and then KiPass is done with the entire bike save the display unit. Even if you leave the fob on the ground when you started the bike and drove away the only thing that can happen, while the bike is running, is that the display will display 'Transponder Error'.

The reason for all of this is simple: common sense and liability. It would be disastrous to have any part of the bike stop the engine for any reason on its own without the operator's involvement. I mean, what if our bikes simply stopped running in the middle of a long curve, well leaned over, because the temperature was too high as judged by the ECU? No one would make a vehicle like that, including Kawasaki. KiPass (or anything else on the bike such as low fuel, too high a temperature, no oil, etc.) cannot stop the bike. The worst case scenario is no oil pressure which will result at some point in an engine seizure but again, that fault will NOT stop a running bike, only alert the rider; it is up to the rider to stop the bike when safe to do so.

I really do believe Chris's problem (Burbs) has nothing to do with KiPass but rather is a simple electrical fault, given his description (starting with the bike stalled....). The message 'Transponder Error' was just one more of the symptoms of the underlying and basic problem, which I believe is a central electrical fault and most probably a simple one at that.

Brian

Once again I learn something from Brian. I did not realize that kipass could not affect the bike when it is running - good to know if I ever run into a similar situation.

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
Great idea- I believe you have shown us a divinig rod that will point out the problem?  That would really help diagnosing problems around the bike.

Seeing as Chris said the bike died, and KiPass has absolutely no ability to stop a running bike, I know you didn't mean that a conventional key would solve his current problem....  ;)

Brian

Yep, just playing. I figure a loose connection somewhere. Even KIPASS needs power.  :finger_fing11:

Offline usttobee50

• She rides a Harley,and I thought I wanted a C-14
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 02:33:23 PM »
Burb's....Be sure and let us know when you find a solution........2 1/2 years and not a problem with my 2011....gotta luv this machine.
Ride Safe....Usttobee50
2005 Mean Streak, Pearl Magma Red
2011 C-14, Atomic Silver

Offline wingrider

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »
Check your battery. Mine was weak and if I tried to start the bike while in gear it would throw the imobilizer code. Replaced the battery and have had no further problems.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
KiPass <---such mad pow-ah that is is suspected of EVERYTHING   :finger_fing11:
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
All hail KIPASS!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
Here's what the negative connector looks like and the inside of the batter compartment. I'm going to pick up a voltage meter now and test the battery.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
Here's what the negative connector looks like and the inside of the batter compartment. I'm going to pick up a voltage meter now and test the battery.

You might have found the problem (and seems to be a common one).  The corrosion can and will cause problems and that should be your first test- clean it well with baking soda and such and then retighten.

Keep in mind that a volt meter is not really going to tell you if you have a problem with the battery.  With no load on the battery, it might conduct fine and put out normal voltage, but under load, it might lower.

You need to put the year of your bike in your avatar message or signature: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8275.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
Fixed it up for ya' Steve.

Brian

KiPass <---such mad pow-ah that is is suspected the root cause of EVERYTHING   :finger_fing11:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
Yep, that looks like your KiPass problem right there.... :-)

As Max said, a bit of baking soda and a rinse, and a bit of grease smeared around / under / all over both battery terminals will prevent it from happening again. Also, check, clean, grease and tighten the ground cable connection where it connects to the frame, just to the immediate right of the battery box- they often corrode also and you might as well fix up ALL the KiPass problems while you have the battery cover off.  ;) ;D

Brian